Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's In Your Spice Rack? page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

So...as spices make life so much better, what spices and combinations of spices do you find yourself using?

I do a lot of South Asian cooking, but would love to branch out a little. I buy all my spices in bulk at the Indian Market right now, but I also go to all kinds of other small stores, as well. I see a lot of things I would like to buy...but don't really know how to use them.

Anybody do Moroccan/Persian/Thai/Vietnamese/Chinese/Japanese/

Portuguese???

John R Guest

I have probably a hundred things in my spice rack, having been very seriously into Chinese, Thai, Indian, Spanish, and classical French cuisines at various times over the years. Penzey's is a wonderful source.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I cook a lot of Mexican-ish stuff ... so I go through a TON of chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.

Fried some pork chops a while ago in the above combo and ate them with scrambled eggs and green chili, and it was awesome.

I would like to do more Indian cooking, but I usually talk myself out of it because I think it will take too much time. Still though, I have curry powder and an assortment of other Indian spices (tumeric, garam masala, etc) on hand that I like to add to sauteed vegetables now and then

I definitely would like to experiment more with cooking food from other cultures, especially the Middle East and the Himalayan region.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Oh, I would love to hear what spices everybody else uses! I have such a HUGE spice collection...LOL...right now they're all in little baggies, but once we move to our new house I'm going to get magnetic containers to keep them all in and keep them magneted on the fridge or a magnetic whiteboard. I usually use:

red pepper

black pepper

parsley

basil

oregano

tarragon

fennel

rosemary

garlic powder

chili powder

cinnamon

cardamom

My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

Sherissima is offline Member

I do Moroccan: Ras el Hanout and Harissa mixes are excellent in a tagine (lamb or chicken stew with olives, chickpeas and dried apricots or raisins) . If you can't get the pre-mixed spices, you can make do with ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, pinch of cloves and saffron, orange water and dried rose petals (or rosewater). Yum! Hot pepper too, for Harissa.

Saffron is also good in a Spanish rice-free paella (chicken thighs, chorizo chunks, king prawns and baby octopus) with smoked paprika (pimento), possibly hot if you like it.

I also love Indian mixtures like Garam Masala (for a Karahi type curry with tinned tomatoes) and Tandoori (just sprinkled on chicken wings before grilling, yum!)

Thai: lemongrass, ginger or galangal, onions, garlic, hot red chillies and fish sauce form a base for a red curry (with coconut milk) or a hot and sour soup (with lemon juice and kaffir lime leaves). Mmmm, I feel like some soup now!

What kind of spices were you looking at?

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm new to primal, but I've always been an adventurous cook, so FWIW, here are some of my favs:

For lots Morrocan/Middle Eastern dishes, I use harrisa (sp?) it's a hot sauce. Also preserved lemon and rosewater, and cinnamon.

I've learned to buy whole black (or yellow) mustard seeds and cumin seeds as the basis for a good, quick curry.

I grow all kinds of herbs in my summer garden, and it sure livens up a salad to throw in fresh mint, basil, dill, oregano.

If I want something to taste Italian, I use basil, garlic and tomatoes.

If I want something to taste Asian, I use ginger, garlic, soy or fish sauce, sesame oil.

If I want something to taste Caribbean, I use ginger, garlic, hot pepper sauce, mangoes, cilantro.

If I want something to taste sort Mexican-y mole, I use cumin, garlic, oregano, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.

I always have a jar of kim chee (fermented vegetables) in the frig. These can really liven up a salad or a soup.

Great question!

PWG

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I do some persian, thai and japanese!

Here are my top spices:

SAVORY (Used weekly, at least):

turmeric

cumin

chili powder

black pepper

white pepper

garam masala

fennel pollen

taco seasoning (on eggs in the morn)

fennel seed

caraway

smoked paprika

SWEET (Used weekly, at least):

cardamom!!!

cinnamon

anise

lavender

rose (and rose water)

vanilla BEANS

HERBS(Also used weekly):

lemongrass

cilantro

thyme

GARLIC x9287340273

dill

herbs de provence

mint (used as a savory too in a lot of persian food)

OTHER flavor enhancers (Used a lot but not as often as the above suff!):

tarragon

fish sauce

bonito

wakame/furikake (Okay I lie I eat seaweed like every other day)

saffron

harissa

capers

fresh curry leaves (occasionally)

gochujang (red pepper paste and *SO GOOD*)

tamarind

THINGS I WANT

Galangal

File

Zatar

Szechuan buttons

Im prob forgetting some but I DO use all these! I have quite a developed spice cabinet!!!

I saw someone posted preseved lemons!!! I have a jar "cooking" right now of my own!

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

musajen is offline Junior Member

Sherissima - could you share some tagine recipes? I'd love to try them but am intimidated by the one's I've come across so far.

Favorite Spices:

Garam Masala

Lemon and Orange Zests

Curry

Cumin

Chili Powder

Garlic (YUM!)

Cinnimon

Fresh italian herbs, especially basil and parsley

hannahc is offline Senior Member

My go-to spice blend is thyme/oregano/parsley/salt/black pepper It goes with everything! I love thyme the most though. It's a fairly "French" combo, but then again that's most of what I cook. I also use a lot of red chili flakes, fennel if I want something to taste Italian (like in meatballs), and sometimes I'll throw in marjoram/tarragon/sage/bay leaf for variety (not together necessarily). I love spices though, I use almost everything I have in my cupboard (too many more to list!).

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Dang, you guys. This is AWESOME!!!

Here's what I currently have:

Turmeric

Cumin (ground and seeds)

Coriander

Chile Powder

Kalonji seeds

Cloves

Bay Leaves

Ground Cardamom

Whole Cardomom

Cinnamon sticks

Hot Madras Curry Powder

Mild Curry Powder with Fenugreek

Garam Masala blend

Sounds like I need a shopping trip, though ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast