Thread: Legally Primal (mightstone2k) page

Legally Primal (mightstone2k)

Primal Fuel
    23 year-old male, Chicago (lived in western Pennsylvania prior), 6', 169.2 lbs last Sunday

I've been trying to eat Primal since before Christmas, and I've been trolling MDA since about Thanksgiving. I'm starting law school on Tuesday, and I'm already starting to feel the stress hit; so I figured that I needed to start this to stay on track, even though I may not update terribly often (I'll try to get a couple times a week though).

I've managed to convince my fiance that we should start buying more of the organics, and it's creeping its way into our diet (we're both poor professional students... she's in med school). I'm a martial artist (Tang Soo Do for 13 years), and I got really into fitness and nutrition during undergrad, although it was mainly CW. Thankfully, I never did much cardio... I hated it. I'm transitioning to PBF this upcoming week (previously doing You Are Your Own Gym, 1st class) because I think it will better fit my schedule. I'm loving the Primal life so far, although finding properly sourced food that fits our budget is crazy expensive. Rent and school expenses kinda take priority right now. But we have access to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's! Yay us! As of now I'm taking a multivitamin (from Sam's Club, unfortunately, but I'm trying to use it up) and 1 g of fish oil from GNC to fill in the gaps.

Not sure what else to say here... I've never kept a journal before. My goal is improve strength and power:mass ratio; my background is in striking arts and even though I won't start looking for martial arts here until summer (when I hope to start abusing Mango Languages as well... free through school!), I keep that foundation. So long as I can move myself well and put out high power, I'm effective. And, of course, I want to live a long, active, and healthy life. Preferably with mountains.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Also a law student here. I feel your pain.

Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are a godsend. They can be pricey, but if you hunt, you can find great deals which won't break your budget. Best of luck!

Oh yeah? How do you handle the stress? I'm just starting my reading and I already want to apply face-to-wall.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Do the best you can given your finances. Organic is wonderful but not essential for primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    Oh yeah? How do you handle the stress? I'm just starting my reading and I already want to apply face-to-wall.
    I had a hard time handling it for a while, but then I took up meditating about 3x/week - just a short 10 minute meditation. I downloaded a few guided meditation things from iTunes. It really helped a lot, surprisingly.

What year are you?

Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    What year are you?
    I'm starting 1L... tomorrow. I just need to finish reading Lawyering Skills I for Wednesday and all my assignments for the first class will be done. I'm going to John Marshall in Chicago; what's your year/school?
    I did the PBF assessment yesterday and came out with: knee pushups, reverse pullups/chinups, jack knife pushup, assisted squat, and hand/knee plank. Ouch. I thought I was more fit than that. Tomorrow will probably be my first workout, as preparation for my first day of school. Today looks like a lot of reading, interspersed with leftover broccoli quiche (recipe in the 30 Minute Cookbook) and I plan to cook the Moroccan Chicken Casserole (Moroccan Chicken Casserole Recipe | Mark's Daily Apple) for dinner tonight. I did most of the prep yesterday.
    We made coconut flour waffles today (6 eggs, 1/4 c coconut flour, 4 T melted coconut oil, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 T honey, mix until smooth) and they were heavenly. Less dry than another recipe I had found, but it only makes 1 3/4 Belgian waffles. One of our favorite waffle recipes was a peanut butter-chocolate chip waffle with spelt flour out of the King Arthur Whole Grain baking book, and my fiance had a great idea: why not adapt it next weekend? So we are! Almond butter and almond meal instead of peanut butter and spelt flour. And I have in mind to try making hazelnut butter sometime soon. Anyway, the coffee's done brewing. Time to enjoy my morning cup and hit the books!

I'm a 3L in an evening program. I'm almost done - just another year to go. I'm not sure if I want to say which school, given privacy concerns. It's not a high-pressure, high-tier one though - although they charge us like they are, ha. I work as a legal clerk for a criminal defense firm during the day.

The first year is the toughest to get through, because it's such a transition and very different from undergraduate work. If you can push through the first year, it does get better. For most classes, if you just stay on top of the reading, summarize and condense your notes post-class, and ask questions when you start to get lost rather than slogging through all by yourself, you'll be fine. It's definitely a lot of work first year, but if you get into good habits right of the bat, it's a lot easier than having to make up for poor performance later. Try to take time for things that you enjoy as well - it's easy to get into tunnel vision mode, but people generally perform better if they have breaks. Take some time for a walk, or to cook, or read a book for fun - whatever you enjoy, even if it's only for 15 minutes. It really does make you more refreshed and more easily able to absorb material.

Did my first LHT workout today, and it was a real corker. In order, I did: knee pushups/reverse pullups (r-chins second cycle)/assisted squats/jack knife presses/hand-knee plank + side, and my numbers weren't what I thought they'd be. Everything was low, and knee pushups were really bad (26 first cycle, 19 second), as were planks (51/44 for normal... side were close to time). I did pass to the next level of squats though I knew I chickened out during the assessment.

Right now I'm at school, with my cooler of leftovers and salad ready and waiting. Just going over stuff for classes this afternoon *crosses fingers*

How's things going for you? I hope school is going well.

Whomp. I'm staying on top of the reading and everything, but I always feel like I need to be doing more. Getting out of bed this morning was tough because I felt like I needed to start reading NOW. The stress has dropped significantly though, now that I'm two weeks in. Thanks for asking