Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paleo and Honey page

canucks is offline Junior Member

Paleo and Honey

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting to eat paleo, but I have been taking a spoon of honey in a cup of water for a few months now. I was wondering if taking honey is ok.

Raine is offline Member
    Honey is not paleo, some say raw honey is ok (not if you are allergic to bees though) but I don't personally think it is due to it's high fructose content. You would be better off wirh pure coconut palm sugar as it's low gi.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Is there a specific reason you're doing this?

lexie is offline Senior Member
    I'm still new to this too, but I take a spoon of local honey each day as well. I just make sure to watch what other sugar I consume. I was advised to do so to help with my allergies. I have noticed a decrease in allergy issues when I remember to take a dose. It has to be local honey, though - other types of honey have no effect.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i usu eat a tsp of local honey every AM as well. I believe it helps me with local pollen. Probably it doesn't really do anything, but I do it anyway. I've noticed my sensitivity to allergens & pollen have decreased dramatically anyway since i stopped eating wheat & sugar so i could probably drop the honey but i'm a little superstitious.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    honey - real raw honey - has got to be considered paleo. fruit has fructose too, and it's paleo. when you're talking about a natural, whole food, fructose content alone cannot qualify it as non-paleo. why? cause that's my opinion! LOL, no higher authority here.

that being said, i almost never eat honey!

now... why are you taking a teaspoon of it every morning? is there a point to this ritual?

Bron is offline Senior Member
    it's different for those in australia the honey bee is actually a feral insect here. i reckon australian native honey is far more paleo than the one with the stinger. Ours are tiny little insects with no stinger and their honey is a lot easier to get LOL Unfortunately, the feral bee kills our defenseless native ones.

Honey is extremely high in fructose and isn't considered paleo (I imagine) because of the difficulty in obtaining in the wild.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    I'm still new to this too, but I take a spoon of local honey each day as well. I just make sure to watch what other sugar I consume. I was advised to do so to help with my allergies. I have noticed a decrease in allergy issues when I remember to take a dose. It has to be local honey, though - other types of honey have no effect.
    You could just take bee pollen supplements. It's the bee pollen in honey that's supposed to be good for your allergies.

If you're anything like me, removing wheat, soy and milk from your diet will almost completely eliminate your allergies. It may take 3-6 months, but eventually it'll probably happen.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

lexie is offline Senior Member
    You can find local honey, though - which deals with the pollen in your area. Bee pollen supplements aren't tailored to a specific locale.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've found local honey useful for preventing hayfever in the Spring. Especially as I don't have a natural tolerance to pollen from local crops, not having grown up in the area. We get some high pollen counts here, and it's common for adults to develop hayfever for the first time in their lives when they move into the area.

Any other time of year, I only eat honey from time to time. It seems to have a lot of beneficial antimicrobial properties. On balance, I believe it's worth the fructose hit, certainly more so than fruit is, and just a teaspoon or two a day is nothing to worry about.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast