Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longtime PB-er needs help with interpreting some crazy lab values! page 2

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grok View Post
    So. I have been around here for a couple of years, and while I haven't lost a lot of weight, my life has definitely changed for the better. So I am still fat, but a lot healthier. And when I decided to go to a naturopath, he suggested I get some labs done.

In the meantime, due to the fact that my weight loss has not happened- 10 lbs at the beginning, 5 more after a year or so, and then maintaining. (And I am over 200 and 5'7", people, I have some weight to lose!) I decided to really clean up my eating. Particularly after the holidays, when a lot of random stuff snuck in. So in Mid-December, I started toying with the Leptin Reset, and then after the holidays, I got right back on the wagon January first. 50 g protein for breakfast every morning, Bulletproof coffee for lunch, meat and veg for dinner, staying under 30 carbs if possible.

January 4th was when I got my labs done.

First major concern: I was thinking I was going to have some amazing numbers, but not in the way I expected. My cholesterol is now over 300. Before you ask, I have looked at Griff's Primer and done the calculations. My ratios, believe it or not, are all good, but still...309!! Here are the numbers:

Total-309, HDL- 83, LDL- 202(!) Trigs- 121.

I have a familial history of high cholesterol, but my last test, two years ago, was nearly 100 points lower. I have to admit, that 309 is horrifying to me. Should I ask to do the VAP test? Of course, my naturopath pooh-poohed it, but if I ever need to switch up insurance, that number will screw me over bigtime.

I should also add: after 4 days with no sugar, my fasting glucose was high at 96 (99 is the top of the range). Uric Acid and GGT are also flagged. The range for uric acid is between 2.5 and 7, and I got a 7.9. GGT should be between 3-50. Mine was 80.

Could this be caused because my body is having a hard time with cutting out sugar? I have had awful headaches which finally cleared when I bumped up the fat, but the naturopath asked that I do a 5 day cleanse- it's relatively Primal Friendly, but not particularly low carb (fresh squeezed fruit juice and tons of vegs, and he let me sub coconut oil for olive oil.) I felt really awful yesterday- today has been easier, and I have three days to go after that.

So my primary question: Could my abrupt exclusion of any sugar and most carbs have contributed somehow to these crazy lab values? As someone who is obviously heavily leptin resistant, I am planning on getting right back on track as soon as my cleanse is over, and maybe make a more concentrated effort to include more veggies and cutting out coffee, since it messes with blood sugar. Or is this just going to make me sicker?

I really want to be able to keep doing what I am doing, and any helpful input is appreciated. Thanks!

YES

Oh you want an explanation. :-)

You essentially moved to becoming Ketogenic and got labs a week or so in.

Takes 3 - 5 weeks to become Keto-adapted and your body is doing some interesting things with cholesterol during that time. Also your liver would start dumping toxins. Those numbers as a point in time snapshot are pretty useless. you want to trend them over say 9 months. Go to anylabtestnow.com and get your on work.

Use a VAP to reassure yourself, however for my money and experience cholestol is not a serious indicator or health ...... YUP that is what i said. the indicators of health for someone 20 - 60?

Hormone Panel ( specifically DHEA, Testosterone, Estrogens, 24h Cortisol )
    Thyroid Panel ( T4, T3, rT3, ( antibodies and TPO if you are 50 pounds over BMI, and you dont already know the status)
    Fasting INSULIN ( fasting glucose is BS the body will manage that as it sees fit and you just happened to check when it was creating sugar for your brain....)

cholesterol is what everything is made from and having more isn't necessarily indicative of damage but more likely repair.

hope this helps.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Sweet Tart is offline Member
    Low thyroid can cause high cholesterol. I think that you're on the right track to start by addressing hormones and thyroid issues while cleaning up your eating. Patience and education are really important when you start down this road. I suggest reading the Stop the Thyroid Madness website thoroughly.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tart View Post
    Low thyroid can cause high cholesterol. I think that you're on the right track to start by addressing hormones and thyroid issues while cleaning up your eating. Patience and education are really important when you start down this road. I suggest reading the Stop the Thyroid Madness website thoroughly.

+1

and Low carb will temporarily depress the conversion of t4 to t3 and so spike the cholesterol.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member

OH, Thank YOU!!!

Quelsen, SweetTart, and Montana Momma, thank you. That is the info that I was looking for. I know that especially this time of year, there are a lot of "I have been doing this two weeks, only lost 8 lbs, this doesn't work!" posts, and was worried that mine would just kind of blend in.

OK. That's a valid explanation. I have Wheat Belly, but am only about 1/3 of the way through. The naturopath flagged my thyroid due to the low ratio of Free T3 to T4. It all makes sense now.

You've made a woman whose entire (skinny!) family is on statins very happy. (I've talked to them, but they won't listen- and as someone who still weighs 200+ and has "high cholesterol", I don't have a lot of street cred- YET.) I will press on, and update with my new labs: I'll bump them out for a couple months if possible.

I could do the VAP test, but when checked against Griff's primer, all my ratios are good. I'll happily wait and see.

Whew! Relief!!!
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Don't forget to get some kelp/sea vegetables for iodine and a couple Brazil nuts per weeks to get some selenium. Both are important for thyroid function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12