Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Results--Doctor wants me to take statins page

Laura B is offline Member

Lab Results--Doctor wants me to take statins

Shop Now
    Test Results as of April, 2011 1 month primal

Total Cholesterol: 180
    LDL-C: 137
    HDL-C: 36 (Had screening for work in January, 2011 it was 35)
    Triglycerides: 37 (85 in January)

LDL-P (particle number): 2531 nmol/L (according to Dr not good its listed as very high and 95th percentile)

HDL-P (total): 19.0 mol/L
    Small LDL-P: 2194 nmol/L
    LDL Size: 19.7 nm

Test Results as of January 6, 2012 9 months primal

Total Cholesterol: 271
    LDC-C: 214
    HDL-C: 50
    Triglycerides-NMR: 34
    LDL-P: 2469
    Small LDL-P: 706 (Which is considered high but I don't have the range of numbers)
    HDL P Total: 21.4 (low)
    LDL Size: 20.8
    LP-IR Score: 23
    Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy (ng/mL): 55

Now he wants me to take medication because my LDL corresponds with the large particle number. I'm a little nervous but my triglycerides/HDL=.68, which according to what I have read is excellent. I guess I just want reassurance that I will not drop dead anytime soon.....lol.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    That LDL is awfully high. Did the doctor ask anything about your diet?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Chris Kresser's website Heart Disease / Cholesterol has some good info on this, so does The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. More statin madness

I'm not going to interpret your results, but I'm sure someone will shortly. My concern is with using statins, their side affects and apparent lack of benefit, especially for women.

How's yor diet? Are you able to give a run down on what you eat on an average day?
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sure. I usually eat two meals a day and bulletproof coffee in the morning (1Tbs coconut oil from TJ's and 1 Tbs Kerrygold butter), I work at 5am so I rather sleep than eat...lol. I usually eat local grass-fed beef, local pastured eggs (O/T my co-worker just informed me that him and a buddy sell 100% free range eggs for $3.00/a dozen at the farmer's market) vegetables (mostly broccoli), olives. If I do eat chicken I try to get organic. I occasionally eat dark chocolate and dairy (cheese and yogurt). I try to keep the bacon (mostly uncured) intake to 1-2 days a week. I eat potatoes 1-3 times a month. No grains. I do eat out more often than I should, but I try to keep those meals primal as possible (meat and vegetables). I have lost a total of 150 pounds in 16 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
    I have lost a total of 150 pounds in 16 months.
    WOW! Congratulations and WELL DONE!

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member
    You've lost a significant amount of weight in a relatively short period of time and I believe I've read something about how releasing that much stored fat DOES make the cholesterol level go up initially but that it will stabilise once your weight becomes stable/optimal and you stop losing.

Even if you did have a bad cholesterol panel (which it doesn't look like but I'm no expert), statins are useless for women. It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job on your own with the PB! Smile and nod at your clueless-but-probably-well-meaning doctor, and kindly refuse the statins.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura B View Post
    Sure. I usually eat two meals a day and bulletproof coffee in the morning (1Tbs coconut oil from TJ's and 1 Tbs Kerrygold butter), I work at 5am so I rather sleep than eat...lol. I usually eat local grass-fed beef, local pastured eggs (O/T my co-worker just informed me that him and a buddy sell 100% free range eggs for $3.00/a dozen at the farmer's market) vegetables (mostly broccoli), olives. If I do eat chicken I try to get organic. I occasionally eat dark chocolate and dairy (cheese and yogurt). I try to keep the bacon (mostly uncured) intake to 1-2 days a week. I eat potatoes 1-3 times a month. No grains. I do eat out more often than I should, but I try to keep those meals primal as possible (meat and vegetables). I have lost a total of 150 pounds in 16 months.
    Your cholesterol numbers got worse with 150 pounds of weight loss? Really?

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Your triglycerides are pretty phenomenal. I suggest taking a look at Dr. William Davis and Track Your Plaque. I would also suggest losing the butter in the bulletproof coffee. I know I might get flamed for this, but does that *seem* like a good idea?

I think you usually tend to see higher LDL on a paleo diet, and I'm not sure if it is that big of a problem or not. Honestly, if I was eating a solid paleo diet and KNEW all the moving parts were in order, I probably wouldn't be too concerned with a big LDL. I might lower sat fat and get tested for lipoprotein A or (apoe B or something?) the other genetic one that predisposes you to getting screwed by sat fat. Again, check out track your plaque for more details. Also make sure you take fish oil and vitamin d.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Your TRI numbers are interesting. I've been told that a reading down around 70 is excellent - which puts your readings off the charts! Of all the bloodwork posted here, I don't ever recall anyone having numbers that low.

Interesting, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks everybody! I'm having blood work done Monday for work. After that I will not get blood work until next year, so I'm not going to stress out about it. By then I should be at my goal weight and hopefully my numbers will improve. In the meantime, I may take niacin but I need to do more research. Has anyone have any advice/opinions on taking niacin? Thanks! :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast