Thread: One Week In - Massive Digestive Trouble. Any Help Please? page

LewisJMoore is offline Junior Member

Question One Week In - Massive Digestive Trouble. Any Help Please?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I have been eating paleo for just over a week now, and getting a mixed response from my body, I have been feeling much happier and have been getting out of bed easier, but tired at other times and most importantly I have been having terrible bloating and stomach pains for the last 3 days.

It started on thursday, after I had for lunch some chili that a friend and I had cooked a big batch of the night before, along with some salad leaves. I felt awful for a good part of the afternoon and all evening.

The same happened on Friday, chili again for lunch with an orange and felt like ass until I went to bed, only just managed to lift my quota of heavy things that evening!

Obviously suspecting that the chili was the problem, I ate a piece of salmon and a couple of eggs this morning and feel bad again, so bad that I don't feel like eating anything more today and my energy levels and my motivation are really getting low. Also, my friend is still chowing down on the chili and seems fine.

I have been drinking a bunch of peppermint tea, which helps a bit, but the only real relief comes the next morning...

Any ideas or support would be appreciated, anyone had similar experiences? I have had similar symptoms in the past while eating NAD, (since getting into my 20s...) but not more than 1 day every few months and never consecutive days.

Thanks in advance,

Lewy

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Can you give more details about what you are eating? Where there any beans in the chilli? How much veg are you consuming?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    If it's food poisoning indeed from the chili, it will take a few days for your body to get back to normal. Are you used to eating meat or have you significantly increased your meat intake suddenly? if so, it might be a shock to your system. I had a similar problem when I first incorporated fish and eggs on PB (was a vegetarian) and it was too much of a shock to my system. Taking enzymes can help a lot. I think a lot of people like the NOW enzymes recommended by Robb Wolf. HCL is also really good to help digest protein. I also like to take pancreatin. I also discovered I have an allergy to eggs which I think was the main cause of the digestive troubles so try and see if perhaps you are allergic to something you recently added to your diet or recently increased in amount. An elimination diet can help you determine if you are allergic to a certain food.

Licorice root tea and ginger tea are good to soothe the digestive tract. Ginger tea is also very good for expelling toxins from the system. I like to take fresh ginger root, peel it and slice it and boil in water to make fresh tea. You can add some lemon to it as well.

Hope you feel better soon.

Korga is offline Member
    I have had similar reactions to beans. It may take you 3-5 days to really feel better.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    This is what I have done, with the assumption I have a gut imbalance or intolerance. Restrict all grain, legume and dairy. Eat lots of veggies and protein, eat a little fruit. Eat 2 times per day, no snacking in between, but drink plenty of water and green tea. Take high powered probiotic for 2 to 5 days to restore gut flora, cook with prebiotics like onion & garlic and coconut oil. Note: gas may get slightly worse before it gets better. Following that take a digestive enzyme with papain and Betaine HCI, and a Bile Acid factor with every meal tapering off the supplement as your system gets healed.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Beans knock me out for days. We're talking severe abdominal cramping, bloating, gas. Give it a couple more days of eating really clean, and don't eat beans anymore.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Some people don't respond well to foods that are high in lectins including nightshades, beans, eggs, nuts, and dairy. Try cutting those out for a couple of days and then add them in one at a time to find the culprit.

We also have some people around here who don't do well on large amounts of raw veggies. This is less common, but something to consider.

Keep posting with updates if you have ongoing issues - there are a LOT of people here who have or had digestive issues and should be able to help you troubleshoot.

LewisJMoore is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your suggestions and good wishes guys.

I have been eating pretty much the diet that I was on before, less takeaways and all starchy food, I have just added more veg and fish, and nuts. Not a gratuitious amount of veg, hard to say because its normally all boiled up in stew/chili. Getting a big salad in every day. There were a few haricot beans in the chili, but i have had these my whole life and never had a problem with them.

Could potentially be food poisoning, but the meal that seemed to start it all off, while being leftovers was very well reheated. Hmm, will have to power through!

Lewy