Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peanut butter n peanuts page

jonkorz is offline Junior Member

Peanut butter n peanuts

Primal Fuel
    Why can we not eat peanut butter n peanuts? Is it simply the allergy factor or does it stimulate the release of insulin much more than other nuts? TY

Cavebot 3.0 is offline Senior Member

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    It's a shame... good god I love peanut butter.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    the good news? there's almond butter.

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Peanut oil (and therefore peanuts) have a horrible O6:O3. The oil is 34:1, so I believe the nuts would be the same.

I can't convince my fiance to get off peanut butter. She loves it... and every time she opens the jar I pause for a good long whiff. Can't help it. My willpower is tested by that alone.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Peanut butter really isn't that bad. Almond butter isn't much better, anyway, so it makes no sense to be pro-almond butter and think peanut butter is the devil. They both have roughly the same n3:n6 ratio, they have almost the same calorie content and their lipid profile is almost the same. Almonds are also prone to alfatoxin, just like peanut butter.

Ultimately, you'd want to make your own nut butter. Your best options in terms of omega 6 would be macadamia nut butter, hazelnut butter and cashew butter. They are all hugely superior to both peanut and almond butter, and they're very simple to make. All you need is a 16oz bag of nuts, 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a blender and an empty 16oz glass jar. I have a one pound bag of hazelnuts so I'm going to make some myself pretty soon. I made macadamia nut butter once and that was a mistake because I ate the jar in probably 5 days.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Peanut butter really isn't that bad. Almond butter isn't much better, anyway, so it makes no sense to be pro-almond butter and think peanut butter is the devil. They both have roughly the same n3:n6 ratio, they have almost the same calorie content and their lipid profile is almost the same. Almonds are also prone to alfatoxin, just like peanut butter.
    The only thing really to add to it is the legume factor. I'm still not sure what I think about that yet but Mark does mention that they contain a lot of lectins and such like grains and that is one of the reasons he suggests not eating peanuts. They aren't nuts.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    The only thing really to add to it is the legume factor. I'm still not sure what I think about that yet but Mark does mention that they contain a lot of lectins and such like grains and that is one of the reasons he suggests not eating peanuts. They aren't nuts.
    Yea but nuts contain lectins as well, and they're much higher in phytic acid than grains, too. Nuts shouldn't make up a significant portion of your diet. Occasionally munching on peanuts IMO aren't going to kill you, especially if you normally do almonds. Now, macadamias and hazelnuts are a lot more forgiving. Those are the go-to nuts IMO and they're what I've been going through the fastest. I generally avoid almonds, walnuts and peanuts because of the omega 6 content.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Almond butter def bothers me.. I had some today and did not feel so great immediately after. First time I've had almonds or almond butter in 6 months. I'm glad I nailed it down because I thought something was bothering me when I used to cook with almond flour when I first went primal.

Whole foods has a nut butter machine which is cool. You can actually make your nut butter right there in the store, they have 6 different ones setup with different nuts. I'll have to try some macademia nut butter.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast