Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My primal journal (dvaron) - whole30 challenge starts tomorrow page

dvaron is offline Junior Member

My primal journal (dvaron) - whole30 challenge starts tomorrow

Primal Fuel
    After eating 90% primal the past 5-6 months, I have decided to step things up a notch and commit to the whole30 eating plan, starting tomorrow.

I have arrived at primal eating after many years of what I thought was a healthy diet - eating grains, brans, skim milk and other low fat dairy. I managed to stay relatively skinny by doing hours of chronic cardio. Despite all of the cardio and the low weight, I always had a flabby tummy and felt exhausted and unhealthy. I also suffered from severe IBS and reactive hypoglycemia. Every day was a roller coaster of intense exercise, carb loading and blood sugar crashes.

One year ago I gave birth to twins, and had a difficult pregnancy including 4 months of strict bed rest. I lost most of my muscle and had to restart from scratch. I also no longer have time to spend hours on cardio, which is why the PB fitness model suits me so well.

Eating primal has cleared up so many health issues - my IBS has disappeared, I have so much more energy, the acne which I have suffered from since I was 14 has gone, and my hypoglycemia is improving. I now just need to lose the final few kg of weight from my pregnancy - and I hope the whole30 program will help me do it!

Goals

Lose the final (very stubborn) 6lbs of pregnancy weight (I have been at a stall the last 4 months)
    Be able to last between meals without snacking
    Get rid of hypoglycemia
    Find meals that I can eat day after day which I know will keep me full
    Determine whether I am intolerant to dairy

Challenges

Since I have been eating 90% primal, this will not be a huge adjustment. The changes that I need to make are cutting out full fat dairy (butter, cream and cheese), c utting out alcohol (only really had 1-2 glasses red wine a week), cutting down nuts and nut butters and cutting down on snacking
    Some social occasions coming up which will be a challenge - I dont want to seem like the weird person that asks for special purpose meals (but I may have to be that person)
    Not weighing myself for 30 days... I think I weigh myself too often, and if I see a lowish weight on the scale I give myself 'permission' to eat a little extra that day - hindering my weight loss efforts. I must stay away from the scale!

First day went really well. I have been working on cutting down full fat dairy for a few days before starting the challenge, so I didn't find it too difficult today. The first few days were horrible. At the end of each meal I felt unsatisfied - like I needed a dessert of cheese or cream in tea.

B (6.15am) - pre-workout - 1/2 serve roast chicken and 1/2 avocado

Workout - 30 mins weights and 4 mins tabta sprints - totally struggled on sprints today, must be from being lazy on my holidays

8am - post-workout meal - 2/3 cup sweet potato and 2 eggs cooked in 2TBS coconut oil and cinamon. I have never tired cinamon on eggs before, and it was delicious. This was also the first starchy carbs I have had in a while... thought I would try them out post work-out, and I felt great afterwards, so much more energy than I usually have. I did start feeling low blood sugar by 11am, but think I would have felt this had I had the carbs or not.

11am snack - handful dry roasted almonds

L: roast chicken and 1 cup lettuce with 1 TBS homemade mayo, small handful of macadamias for dessert. Not sure what else to eat when i feel like something 'extra' after a meal for dessert, as I don't do too well on fruit, and now dairy is out.

3pm snack - handful of raw almonds

I know I have had way too many nuts today, however I wasn't even hungry for dinner. I ate dinner just because I had a friend over that I was cooking for, but could have gone without.

8pm - small serving of roast beef and lettuce with drizzle of olive oil and balsmaic vinegar.

Had so much energy in the evening, which I never normally have. Normally I can't keep my eyes open past 9pm, but at 11pm I was still buzzing. Perhaps not such a good thing when my twins wake me at 5.30am every morning without fail

Second day went amazingly well. I can't believe how much better I feel for cutting out the dairy. I feel quite stupid now for not doing it months ago... all those months of eating so low carb and not losing anything or feeling that great. Now my stomach feels light and I feel wonderful.

B (6am): roast chicken, 1/2 avo and raw mushrooms

(hungry by 8.30am)
    S (9am): 2 small boiled eggs, celery and handful macadamia nuts

L (12.30): small serve roast beef with salad and olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 1.5 handfuls of raw almonds as dessert

S (3.30): 1/2 avo

D (6.30pm): grilled salmon with steamed greens. I didn't add fat to this meal as I felt like I had eaten so much during the day, but probably should have

50 minute walk with the dog.

Had heaps of energy to stay up at night again (despite only sleeping 5 hours the night before). Slightly bloated around dinner time, but otherwise feeling good

Today was not such a good day... I think because I started it off with HIIT training on an empty stomach, and I had out of control hunger all day. I think I completely negated the training that I did by over eating all day. I am wondering if the morning is the best time to be training before work, perhaps it just sets me up for cortisol rollercoaster... it is just that after work I am looking after my twins, and by the time I put them to bed I am exhausted. I will have to reassess things.

6am before sprints: 1 teaspoon chopped liver that I prepared the night before, just to give me a boost before sprints.

7am after sprints: 2 eggs, 2/3 cup sweet potato, 2TBS coconut oil, 1 tsp chopped liver

Totally starving by 8.30am

9am: 3 heaped TBS chopped liver, 1/2 avo with celery, 2 handfuls macadamia nuts

11am: 2 handfuls of almonds

2pm: steamed broccoli and zucchini

4pm: boiled egg with 1/2 TBS coconut oil

8pm: 2 beef patties made with onions and coconut oil, steamed veges

I felt bloated and full after dinner - probably from so many nuts during the day. I certainly feel better the days that i do strength training or rest days, I just love the fitness benefits of HIIT training

It is my twins' first birthday today!! Very exciting day. This time last year I got up from 4 months of bed rest - I was so excited to be up and moving, and besotted with my gorgeous babies.

B (6.30am): - thought I would try the BAB idea so I wouldn't need to snack, and it worked: 2 beef patties made with onions and coconut oil, 2 eggs with 1 TBS coconut oil, steamed cabbage with 1TBS homemade mayo

L (12 noon): grilled salmon and 1 cup lettuce with 1 TBS homemade mayo

S (2.30pm): handful raw almonds

D (7.30pm): small serve paleo hungarian goulash and steamed veges

Felt like my blood sugar and eating was under control today, am lookng forward to another day like this tomorrow... only issue that I have a PT session at 6.30am. Am going to try to eat something beforehand to keep my blood sugars stable

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Happy Birthing Day!! (and happy birthday to your twins )

Today was another out of control day in terms of eating... again because I did intense exercise in the morning (I am beginning to see a pattern here). I thought that I would try to have something to eat before my workout to see if that helped, but I was still ravenous all morning and more bloated by the end of the day. I am not sure what to do about this, as I love my workouts, but I feel like they are hindering my weight loss efforts (ironic).

6am (pre-workout): 1TBS leftover chopped liver and 1 TBS coconut oil

Half an hour intense weights session with personal trainer - she nearly killed me

7.30am (post work out): 2/3 cup sweet potato, 2 eggs, 1 TBS coconut oil

9am: 2 beef patties made with coconut oil and onions, 2 handfuls macadamia nuts, 1.5TBS homemade mayo

11am: handful raw almonds

3pm: 1 cup lettuce and cucumber with 1TBS homemade mayo

7pm: 2 organic chicken thighs and steamed veges (no added fat, as I am not usually too hungry in the evening).

I am going to try to cut out the sweet potato after the work out - I am not sure if that is what is causing me to be terribly hungry and eat so many nuts all morning

I woke up soooo sore this morning after my personal training session yesterday - I haven't felt this sore in years, it hurts with every movement. I was pretty hungry all day again today, but not so hungry by the evening when we went to my mother-in-law for a big family dinner. I am slowly starting to convince her to stop cooking with vegetable oil - it has only taken months of insistent nagging.

B: 3 eggs, 1 TBS coconut oil, mushrooms and small serving of chicken

S: 1/4 avo, celery, macadamia nuts

L: tuna salad with 1 TBS homemade mayo

S: small serving leftover meat, macadamia nuts, green veges

D: chicken and very small serving of baked fish, zucchini cooked with tomato

Felt like I had heaps of energy at the end of the day, and my stomach was feeling quite good

Wow I am even more sore today then I was yesterday. I am meeting a friend to go to gym this morning, but I am going to have to take it really easy. THe thing that I have been finding very easy with this new way of eating is resisting tempting things at parties etc. As long as I plan beforehand and make sure I have a good, solid meal, I am not tempted. Going to lots of 1st birthday parties with plenty of sweet things. Today some lady gave one of my twins fairy bread without asking me! Who does that... a total stranger giving a baby food without asking the parent. What if she were alergic. To be honest I have never even given my twins a hint of bread. I know I am going to have to soon, but for as long as I can avoid it.

B: large serve of chicken, 1/2 avo, small handful raw almonds

Gym (weights)

11am: tuna salad with 1 TBS homemade mayo - I didn't have the carbs this time and I stayed full until about 2.30pm

2.30pm - chicken, small serving of baked fish, 1/2 avo, zuccnini

6.30pm - baked carrot, handful almonds (wasn't really hungry tonight)

I definately feel better not having the carbs out the workout. I think I am going to have to go back to eliminating the sweet potato.

Now I am going to go and bake my twins a 1st birthday paleo-friendly birthday cake. I dont think anyone else at the party is going to eat it, but at least it will be a conversation starter I am even going to deocrate it with toys, stickers and fruit, to avoid the need for sugary icing. Lets see how it turns out!

Had a very good day today... I managed to get through an entire day with my babies' 1st birthday party without a single taste of a cupcake or lolly (and I loooove the icing on cupcakes). This low carb thing is wonderful - I wasn't even craving them or missing them. I did have the tiniest little taste of the batter of the cake that I was making for my babies, but it was hardly a taste... I just wanted to check that the taste wouldn't be offensive or dangerous to them. Well, the cake was not such a success. A perfect paleo cake with honey, eggs, olive oil, cocoa, almond meal and mashed banana. My son gobbled it up, however my daughter pulled the funniest faces, and perfect faces of disgust. She was not a fan. I did manage to get her through the party without adults feeding her other sugary treats. She just gorged on fruit which is ok.

B: small steak cooked in 1TBS coconut oil, steamed veges, 1/2 avo,

S: Large handful raw almonds (probably too large).

L: 2 eggs, cooked mushrooms, 6 raw almonds

Managed to get through the party all afternoon, just nibbled on some cucumber and capsicum

D: small steak cooked in 1 TBS coconut oil, salad (lettuce and cucumber) and 1/3 avo. Snacked on raw mushrooms after dinner.

Going to bed a bit hungry but don't want to start eating now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast