Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin flushing after eating page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Skin flushing after eating

Primal Fuel
    For the last month or so, I have felt something like the effect of niacin after I eat anything. It isn't just spicy foods nor carbs. It happens after I eat very much of anything. (Not half a dozen almonds. Has to be more than that I think.) It isn't unpleasant, not as strong as the niacin effect. No change in my medication. (The only thing I take is metformin, and the dose hasn't changed for 6 months.)

So far as I can tell from googling, it isn't anything to worry about. I am just wondering what is happening. Has anyone experienced this? I have been doing something close to primal for a year and a half.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

raney is offline Senior Member
    Any chance it is an insulin flush, due to restored insulin sensitivity? What are you eating?

wiltondeportes Guest
    Is it just a skin feeling, or do your muscles feel "full"?

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for starting this thread. I experience this flushing after eating as well and occasionally as well and I've always relates to my rosacea. I haven't really been able to pinpoint a particular food trigger, either. Since going primal, the flushes have been much more infrequent, mild and brief, but they are still uncomfortable and annoying when they happen. I usually just try to sit or lie down for a couple of minutes and drink some cool water and take a probiotic or eat some brine pickles and that seems to curb the flush pretty quickly - I have no idea if the probiotics actually stop the flushing, but placebo or not, it seems to provide me with some relief.
    Before primal, I would put ice packs on my hot face for hours and it would take forever to go back to normal. My eyes always stung, too.
    This usually happens to me later in the afternoon or after dinner - how about you? I've never flushed after breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by raney View Post
    Any chance it is an insulin flush, due to restored insulin sensitivity? What are you eating?
    I would like to think so. I eat a variety of mostly primal foods. I do eat potatoes and traditionally prepared corn tortillas and beans per Archevore. My daily carbs are around 75 grams.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    Is it just a skin feeling, or do your muscles feel "full"?
    Strictly a skin feeling.
    Ancestral Health Info

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Strictly a skin feeling.
    My best guess is that it's your body's adaptation to cold weather. I noticed recently that my skin is getting flushed easier, and yet it is less defensive against the sun. One, it could be your body using Vitamin D reserves (I believe you can store Vitamin D for months at a time) since it is winter, and you might be indoors more (requiring more V-D). Two, it could simply be the body keeping the skin warm despite cold temps.

My skin will be a warm, flushed color after sleeping and sometimes after eating. If I don't eat anything, sleep, and I'm cold; there will be zero flush.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a histamine flush due to intake of high-histamine or histamine-promoting foods.

I get it especially from eating a lot of chilli or fermented fish sauces - I get a head rush too.

Niacin causes flushing by raising histamine. Histamine dilates blood vessels to get white blood cells and other components of the immune system into the surrounding tissues as part of the natural immune response - that's what causes the flushing.

I used to get extreme facial flushing after exercise, but that's calmed down since I've been on a low histamine diet and gone primal.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    My best guess is that it's your body's adaptation to cold weather. I noticed recently that my skin is getting flushed easier, and yet it is less defensive against the sun. One, it could be your body using Vitamin D reserves (I believe you can store Vitamin D for months at a time) since it is winter, and you might be indoors more (requiring more V-D). Two, it could simply be the body keeping the skin warm despite cold temps.

My skin will be a warm, flushed color after sleeping and sometimes after eating. If I don't eat anything, sleep, and I'm cold; there will be zero flush.
    Thanks! But it seems to be very food related. I do take extra D in the winter.
    Ancestral Health Info

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Sounds like a histamine flush due to intake of high-histamine or histamine-promoting foods.

I get it especially from eating a lot of chilli or fermented fish sauces - I get a head rush too.

Niacin causes flushing by raising histamine. Histamine dilates blood vessels to get white blood cells and other components of the immune system into the surrounding tissues as part of the natural immune response - that's what causes the flushing.

I used to get extreme facial flushing after exercise, but that's calmed down since I've been on a low histamine diet and gone primal.
    Thanks! But the type of food doesn't seem to matter. ALL food gives me the effect.
    Ancestral Health Info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast