Thread: Nutrition Advice Requested - Rough Weekend Coming Up page

BZM
    BZM is offline Senior Member

Nutrition Advice Requested - Rough Weekend Coming Up

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi all,

I've been Primal since mid-December 2011, so I'm kind of a newbie to this. I'm needing some nutritional advice for an athletic "event" coming up next (not this) weekend.

I practice a traditional form of Japanese karate, and twice a year we do "Special Training". Special Training is basically a bunch of hard practices (not classes, not seminars) over the weekend. The Winter Special Training will include 12, 1.5 to 2.5-hour practices in about 40 hours. This will be my 15th such experience...ouch.

In addition to the regular karate training, I've been doing the PB training for a month now and it feels great. Sounds crazy but I love the weekly sprints!

Anyway, even though I expect to be tired during and after this training, I'd like to use the Primal Blueprint to get through it better than I have in the past.

Besides hydration, what would you recommend for me to eat:

• Before I get there
    • After each practice
    • Before each practice
    • Other considerations

I know quite well what I'm going to eat when we're done and on the way home! A big ol' steak and a salad...!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Brad
    Last edited by BZM; 01-13-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Thanks

BZM
    ...anyone?

BZM

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I just eat as I do the rest of the day before a hard workout. Sometimes I don't eat

Bearfoot is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I just eat as I do the rest of the day before a hard workout. Sometimes I don't eat
    Agreed, Honestly your regular grok diet will sustain, eat more if you want listen to your body, of cause higher GI foods (sweet potato) are good post workout.
    Eat Clean | Train Mean | Live Lean

Bearfoot is offline Junior Member
    Oh, after a big run, I like to eat sweet potato sushi rolls and bananas..

Blended cooked sweet potato with tuna filling wrapped in Nori.

and I cut my banana length ways and spread 100% ground cashew spread in it and eat it.
    Eat Clean | Train Mean | Live Lean

BZM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearfoot View Post
    Oh, after a big run, I like to eat sweet potato sushi rolls and bananas..

Blended cooked sweet potato with tuna filling wrapped in Nori.

and I cut my banana length ways and spread 100% ground cashew spread in it and eat it.
    Thanks for the good recommendations! The banana sounds great. I have almond butter already so I think I'll try that. I'll leave the sweet potato recipe for when I have access to a kitchen...

I failed to mention that we'll all be staying (i.e., sleeping, training, eating) in the gym at a high school. We will be able to go to restaurants in between workouts, but since workouts have only about 4 hours between each other, a restaurant break happens maybe every two workouts.

It's like running a 10k 12 times in 40 hours, with no support crew. I'm leaving today at about noon. I'll report back in this space Sunday, hopefully.

Hey, my boss is from Australia. He took a back-country 4wd trip last summer (northern hemisphere summer ) that started in Cairns. He invited me to go along; I did a bunch of research but couldn't come up with the $$ to make the trip. I was SO jealous...perhaps I'll get another chance to check that one off the bucket list.

BZM

"Rough weekend" was right!

Well, the diet worked - up to a point.

On Saturday, after the 5th workout, the whole group went out for lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Although I tried to stick to things that I thought would be the least un-Primal, I was still nauseated after the lunch, and "lost it" during the next workout. Every time I tried to eat or drink after that, I couldn't keep it down. I'm sure I kept some water in my system, since I sipped it every time I could get up the energy to sit up and didn't end up in the hospital with a case of dehydration.

Thus, I ended up doing the next 5 workouts (some 7.5 hours of effort in about 23 hours) without significant food. I felt like crap but made it all the way through. Now that's a sample of IFF!

All I can say now is "Thanks Grok!" for a body that doesn't depend on sugar for continuous energy.

P.S. The omelette I had when I got home was awesome!