Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping Dairy? page

scottishlass Guest

Primal Fuel

Greetings from Scotland, brand newbie here looking for some advice. I've been pretty well primal for 3 months and lost 10 lbs in that time, but now seem to be stalling (last 5 weeks). I know, I know, it's not linear! Not losing any inches either.

I am considering dropping dairy for a while to see if that makes a difference - currently I eat butter daily(cooking), some cheese every two/three days (not vast amounts) and occasional cream in cooking, plus odd square of v dark choc.

I believe my portions are moderate, currently no fruit,alcohol or carby veg (or carby anything!)but plenty of everything else, including good amounts of fat.

Anyone out there who found dropping dairy made a difference? Other than the stalling, I'm feeling very well. I'm female, fifty and currently weigh 165 lbs on a 5'8 frame - would be delighted with another 12 - 15 lbs off.

Thanks so much for your opinions!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I dropped it almost a month ago and it's made a huge difference.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, dairy is only really appropriate -- and even that is questionable -- for a person who is already lean who eats it only after heavy lifting sessions.

(Do I live by that? Meh, mostly. I do consume occasional very dark chocolate, butter, or heavy cream in a non-PWO setting.)

As with most things, you have to weigh costs and benefits and act according to what matters most to you.

Sounds like, in your situation, dropping dairy would be a great experiment. Do you do any HIIT? A couple sprint sessions per week could boost you right off that plateau?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

MELANIE Guest

i eat a LOT of dairy- sour cream, raw cheeses, butter.... they are a good source of MCT's from what i am thinking, and easy dense calories

misathemeb is offline Member

i decided to drop my greek yogurt this week (i was eating it everyday for the last 5months!). every now and then i eat goat cheese but not very frequently and i'm off all other milk products. let's see how i do! it will force me to eat more fat and meat since i already get loads of veggies

Double-A is offline Junior Member

Life without laban sounds horrifying to me. I'm a big fan of dairy, currently, as I can get high quality thick yogurt and raw milk for relatively very cheap.

I might try cutting it out eventually, but I also plan on being a lot more active as the weather warms, and I think I'll be able to lose the remaining 'fluff' without needing to do such.

gini is offline Senior Member

It sounds like your body has found its natural set point. Lots of people see this as a plateau. I think changing up your diet and exercise regime is a nice way to try and kick start. If that means dropping dairy, try it out. I'd also agree with trying to add some sprints or intervals in there. That always gets the body moving.

scottishlass Guest

Thanks all. I think I will experiment (and feed back!) In Scotland it is illegal to sell unpasteurised milk (though you can get 'organic' which I suppose cuts out at least some of the more dubious farming practices.)

Will be interested in how you get on misathemeb, esp with keeping the fat up. I'm fairly certain I don't feel so well on the days when I eat more dairy, so here's hoping it works for me.

Barbeygirl - have just started the sprinting - so far, yuk yuk yuk!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

For me personally, dropping dairy didn't make any difference at all. When I went Primal, I wasn't loosing any weight so I stopped consuming all dairy products for 1 1/2 months. I saw no change in they way I felt or my weight so I added dairy back again. It's now 3 months later and I still didn't loose the few extra pounds that I was hoping to loose, but at the same time I enjoy quality dairy, extra calcium, and probiotics from home-made kefir.

Now I am happy being at my "natural body point", like gini mentioned, and enjoying all the foods that I previously thought prohibited me from loosing weight (dairy, nuts, red wine, fruit).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

OP, your dairy consumption is minimal and of the better things. No milk, that's the main culprit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast