Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Blood Pressure page

thaijinx is offline Senior Member

Low Blood Pressure

Shop Now
    Does anyone have some suggestions for increasing blood pressure? I've hard that both salt and licorice can be used (I already salt, and I hate licorice!) But I'm sure there are others.

My blood pressure is usually at the extremely low end of 'normal', around 90/60.

And while before I actually used to think, 'wow that's great, it's not high', it's actually not. I go numb if my limbs are elevated, such as having a massage, or even sleeping at night (lying with my hands on my belly) and it's sometimes difficult to get medical procedures done, as they are too worried about my low blood pressure.

Know you guys aren't medical doctors... but any nutrition or exercise tips would be great.

The other slightly worrying thing is that my pulse rate seems rather elevated in comparison, often coming in in the 80 - 90 bpm range! I'm reading this to mean that my heart is having to work really hard... which can't be a good thing. Isn't 'normal' resting around 60 bpm!?

Classic is offline Senior Member
    This is interesting. My partner has low blood pressure also but not high heart rate. She is a nurse and posts here frequently. I will ask what she thinks when she gets home from work. She might have some thoughts on the matter.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I hate licorice but take the herb in a tincture just fine. Honey fried licorice is really good!

You likely need adrenal support too. Read Dr. James Wilson's book Adrenal Fatigue in the 21st Century to learn more about it. I really like his supplement line and I've tried a lot. A simple test to see if you have adrenal fatigue is shine a light by your eye. A healthy person's pupil will contract and hold the contraction. The pupil of a person with adrenal fatigue will contact but let go multiple times before settling.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Low blood pressure can be a sign of low aldosterone (a hormone created by the adrenal glands). I think a blood test can check for this.

Dig62 is offline Member
    I would suggest seeing a cardiologist or at the very least, have your regular doctor send you for an echocardiogram. I suggest this only because some diseases of the heart muscle, such as hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, can manifest themselves with both low blood pressure and high heart rate. In HCM, which I have myself, the thickened heart muscle has to work extra hard to push blood around so the result is both low blood pressure due to decreased blood volume, and high heartrate due to having to work extra hard. Better safe than sorry. I would have it checked out to be sure.

Raine is offline Member
    I suffer from low low blood pressure - my lifesaver is pure 100% coconut water (sodium fortified). It stops me fainting too.

Your heart rate can depend on many different things - if you are overweight, sick, asleep, drinking too much caffeine, chronically stressed etc. So don't panic.

You may want to check out a condition called "Dysautonomia" though and see if it fits what happens to you. Most doctors don't have a clue about it, including a lot of cardiologists!. I have had it for 22 years.
    Last edited by Raine; 01-13-2012 at 08:19 PM.

gritty is offline Junior Member
    Your heart rate isn't fast. 60-100 is normal. My blood pressure is low like yours, but I have always had that and so it is "normal" for me.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    All I know about is the salt, which you've already mentioned. Make sure it's good quality sea salt though.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just got hold of a copy of Adrenal Fatigue, so I will give that a look.

does anyone have any suggestions for the other 'problem' that I seem to have: elevated resting heart rate:

Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    The other slightly worrying thing is that my pulse rate seems rather elevated in comparison, often coming in in the 80 - 90 bpm range! I'm reading this to mean that my heart is having to work really hard... which can't be a good thing. Isn't 'normal' resting around 60 bpm!?
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Raine is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just got hold of a copy of Adrenal Fatigue, so I will give that a look.

does anyone have any suggestions for the other 'problem' that I seem to have: elevated resting heart rate:

Any ideas?

Thanks
    That's why I said to google dyautonomia and POTS. But if you aren't getting any symptoms such as fainting/ dizzyness/nausea then it's unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast