Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatty Liver? page

TradSimplicity is offline Junior Member

Fatty Liver?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Everyone,

Did anyone here have a fatty liver and correct it through PB? I don't know that I have fatty liver. All I know at this point is my liver enzymes are staying elevated. Last Sunday AST 152, ALT 277. Wednesday AST 61, ALT 260. I'm seeing my naturopath this upcoming week and am sure she will have me do a liver cleanse. Just wondering if anyone has experience with non-alcoholic fatty liver, liver disease, or these typs of elevated liver enzymes? Correcting elevated liver enzymes?
    Thanks in advance!

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    Yes. I fell off the paleo wagon over the summer and was totally out of control with carbs. I'm talking ice cream every day, chips, big bowls of popcorn every night. One of my liver enzymes (forget which one) was up to 200 in mid-August. I immediately went low-carb and by early October, it was almost back in range, just a couple points over. I've gone even stricter paleo since then, lost 20+ pounds, and I expect it would be in range if I tested it today.

primalprincess7 is offline Senior Member
    this is good news to hear.
    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Thanks Eileen. I am definitely thinking Primal eating will help. I'm hoping my ND will agree with me this upcoming week. I just wish I knew the underlying problem.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    What's your diet like now? A high processed carb diet in general is hard on the liver, but fructose in particular is really really bad. Do you drink a lot of soda? Alcohol, too, can cause elevated liver enzymes. Were you eating pretty clean before you got these liver numbers?

Dig62 is offline Member
    I had fatty liver (confirmed by CT scan) but reversed it completely with just several months of low carb eating. I can't say that it was the low carb eating per se, it may have been simply losing thirty pounds... but regardless I do not have it now.

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    According to this article, which recommends losing weight, exercise, and avoiding refined carbs, it seems like Primal may be the best way to go to deal with NAFL.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Here's a link to Whole Health Source,

"Fatty Liver Reversal"

Whole Health Source: Fatty Liver Reversal

Vagabond is offline Junior Member
    From reading your lab results I would guess this isn't the case, but consider Gilberts disease. I was scared off of my Paleo diet (after 1 month of success) when I saw my liver enzymes were rising. Gilberts disease is basically Asymptomatic (won't affect you at all) high bilirubin in your blood. The levels of bilirubin will rise due to stress and fasting (required for hepatic panels).

There is nothing you can do to correct the liver enzymes in the case of Gilberts disease, mainly because nothing needs to be done.

Yes, I have read the same thing about weight loss, low carb, to decrease the fatty liver. My doctor is going to do a CT scan if my levels are still high in another week. He is thinking I have bile sludge. My bilubrin levels are normal. I do not drink besides one here and there socially. Since before Christmas, I have been cutting sugar out of my diet. At the New Year, I have gradually reduced the little processed foods will still eat to go primal. I just couldn't just throw the food out in our cupboards we did have. We have been eating mostly "traditional" and by going primal, I just need to cut the grains further. Which, I have been doing gradually as things get emptied around here. I guess we'll see what my ND thinks and next weeks levels. Glad to find out people have lowered their enzyme levels by going primal and/or paleo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast