Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fatty Liver?

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    From reading your lab results I would guess this isn't the case, but consider Gilberts disease. I was scared off of my Paleo diet (after 1 month of success) when I saw my liver enzymes were rising. Gilberts disease is basically Asymptomatic (won't affect you at all) high bilirubin in your blood. The levels of bilirubin will rise due to stress and fasting (required for hepatic panels).

There is nothing you can do to correct the liver enzymes in the case of Gilberts disease, mainly because nothing needs to be done.
    Liver enzymes should not be elevated with Gilberts disease. Just bilirubin is elevated when people have Gilberts. An elevated bilirubin level with normal liver enzymes is actually the quick and dirty way to tell if it is just Gilberts, and not a more serious liver issue.

I hope you meant elevated bilirubin, and not elevated liver enzymes.

I had elevated liver enzymes despite two years of low carbing, considerable weight loss and quitting the little alcohol I drank. I went Primal, ate organic, cut out the diet Pepsi and they've been going down ever since.

Have since read that University of Texas South Western Medical Center and John Hopkins University have both been doing research on low carb diets for non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Yeah because it's called fatty liver most people assume you only get from eating fat (i.e. from meat and animal produucts). However, in fact the opposite is usually always true from the patients I see everyday. Carbs , mainly sugary foods, are what make you fat and are therefore more likely to be contributing to fatty liver disease IMO.

You just gotta stick to it!

Actually, in my case, it is because of animal products (more precisely, saturated fat).

You see, I'm Paleo since 2011, and I haven't lost any weight. It has fixed my main health ailments (e.g. too many bathroom stops, bad teeth), but not my weight (aka metabolic syndrome). High fat (or high-ish fat even), doesn't work for me, no matter how clean it is. In fact, that one time that I even went Paleo-ketogenic for a few months (35-45 gr net carbs/day), nuked my thyroid. I lost half of my hair too. And I was already a high-fat Paleo by that time, so it wasn't a matter of not being "fat-adapted".

Some people are simply not made for high fat, so we should not generalize and prescribe high fat diets to everyone.

I see my husband, who's from a Northern ancestry, and if he eats 3 slices of salami, he's full. If I eat the same, it'd be like I ate nothing. I distinctly remember the day we bought a huge pork belly, I ate a huge amount of it (maybe close to 1500 calories of it), my stomach could not fit anything else in it, but I was still *feeling hungry*!!! And I had multiple dreams of me eating RICE, even if that was already years into Paleo, and by that time I should have been free of the "evil of starches". But no! Why? Because (as I found much later via genetic tests) my ancestry is almost exclusively Balkan, and I work better with more carbs. Not fats. And no, I don't have the "bad" APoE genes. All this, resulted to me in overeating, because fats would just not satisfy me, so I kept eating more. And I kept doing the diet, because it kept the rest of my ailments in check. I thought that this was "the" way.

So 5 years on Paleo/Primal, has left me better overall, but still obese, with a non-alcoholic fatty liver that doesn't want to go away.

A month ago, I thought it was too much to take anymore, and I made a change. I changed my Paleo diet to a more low-fat veg*n-style Paleo (a type of Pegan). I already feel much better. Basically, it's a high raw, Paleo-pesco-vegetarian diet. I eat a lot of raw fruit, raw veggies, and yes, legumes (they have helped me immensely, staple food for my ancestors). Basically, breakfast and lunch is usually raw. Only meat I eat, 3-4 times a week only, comes from wild fish or oysters. Eggs, 2-3 times a week, are always pastured. The only dairy I eat is half a cup a day of home-made goat kefir (no lactose left in it), in a fruit smoothie. Rice once a week. I stopped eating nuts completely (I now take vitamin E to go around that, which can be problematic, I admit). Normally, this diet doesn't have to be particularly low fat, but in my case, I need to be low fat to lose weight, so only 20%-25% of my calories come from fat. On Primal, I was anywhere between 45% to 55%, and on paleo-keto, I was ~70%.

So far, the new regiment seems to work. I've lost 7 lbs so far, in ONE month, and I'm not hungry all the time. I understand that this is excessive weight loss, but it kind of shed by itself, I didn't really feel impoverished. I fill up on fruits and veggies, and some starches + proteins for dinner, and I can do everything in my day with way fewer calories per day than I used to. Also, brain fog has started to get lifted.

I will have more blood tests done soon and I remain hopeful that this time, this is the right version of Paleo for me. I have also changed my lifestyle to go out in the sun even more.

Sounds like you are finding the best course for you. But what about hubby? His genetics are different. Can he adjust his diet, or do you eat separate amounts of dissiimilar foods?

Shop Now
    I cook meat for him, and I add more fats for him when the recipe allows me to separate the portions.