Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the film... Into the Wild? page

Dig62 is offline Member

What do you think of the film... Into the Wild?

Shop Now
    Watched this movie tonight and although I found the film itself very well done I don't know exactly how to feel about Christopher McCandless himself AKA Alexander Supertramp. My first instincts are to think that he was a total dumbass but I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Christopher McCandless - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What do you think?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I felt that the film treated him very compassionately, and left the opinion of him "neutral." -- i thought that this was good.

what i took away from it was that we all make our decisions -- for good or ill in the end -- and that there's no wrong in them either way. Yes, our decisions hurt people, or edify people, or neither, and that at the end of the day, we are simply human beings being human.

for me, the film brought a great sense of absolution, as i'd been through a couple of difficult family deaths in short order during that time. i felt that i hadn't done enough, or that i could have done more or been better. but, that isn't necessarily true, nor even necessarily "necessary." so, for me, that's what the whole thing brought up.

but, i have to say that another take away is to learn well before you take something big on. he hadn't hunted before, for example, or foraged. it's best to have practical experience with someone experienced before you take it on by yourself. book learning really only goes so far.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    The movie was beautiful. Yeah, McCandless had issues. I know people who have trained in Survival for years who wouldn't attempt to weather the Alaskan winter like that--probably because they know how fierce nature can be. Sometimes our heady - you can learn everything from a book or a documentary - culture can be dangerous.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Guy was a total naive dumbass your conclusion is spot on
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Dig62 is offline Member
    Thanks Zoebird... that is a very nice and constructive critique.

I have to admit that I was drawn into the romanticism of his story, despite the fact that in reality the Alaskan authorities have been quoted as reviling him for his stupidity so that noone else undertakes such a foolish task.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that many view his story as being liberating if not one that they wish to emulate...

Not that it should be repeated as such...

What do the rest of you think?

Dig

Quote Originally Posted by Dig62 View Post
    Thanks Zoebird... that is a very nice and constructive critique.

I have to admit that I was drawn into the romanticism of his story, despite the fact that in reality the Alaskan authorities have been quoted as reviling him for his stupidity so that noone else undertakes such a foolish task.

But it doesn't take away from the fact tha tmany view his story as being liberating if not one that they wish to emulate...

Dig
    Death is often seen as liberating

Dig62 is offline Member
    Perhaps I can frame this by asking... would you do anything diferently than Christopher McCandless?

Perhaps I can frame this by asking... would you do anything diferently than Christopher McCandless?
    Practice the skills needed to survive in the wild, he didn't liberate himself, death liberated him from life.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    Guy was a total naive dumbass your conclusion is spot on
    It's not often that I'm in agreement with kenn, but yeah, this. I wished he's been hit by a bus in the beginning to spare me the agony of watching the idiot.

Yeah but his story seems to touch the heartsprings of many, regardless...
    people are touched by reality tv

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast