Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat lovers at higher risk of pancreatic cancer? page

angincanada is offline Junior Member

Meat lovers at higher risk of pancreatic cancer?

Kace is offline Senior Member
    My veggie husband sent me a different article on this research today...
    As far as I have read, it refers to processed meats, which aren't on the primal menu anyway. Looks like it's another reason to avoid the SAD rather than avoid meat in the form it is meant to be consumed in.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Steve Jobs was (basically) a fruitarian, so whatever is going on, it is unlikely to yield a simple sound bite explanation.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Did you know that the gallbladder only releases it's BILES ( that come from the liver) in the presence of Saturated Fat!?
    And the liver only produces this bile if cholesterol is present.
    And gallbladder stones form if the gallbladder isn't being emptied regularly.
    And fat-soluble vitamins and minerals aren't digested and made use of when this fatty bile isn't present.

Need more proof?
    Eat your animal proteins and fats...it's good for you.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Steve Jobs was (basically) a fruitarian, so whatever is going on, it is unlikely to yield a simple sound bite explanation.
    He was a pescetarian.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    He was a pescetarian.
    According to the biography, where he went through extended periods of eating nothing but fruit. At times, even only one kind of fruit.

An odd duck, that one!

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    This is my first posting, so Hi all, been trying this primal thing for about a month now and been reading the forum for about the same!

This was in the news in the UK today, and it's feels like another scare monger alert to me, in one the reports I read, it also mentioned that being 'obese' is a cause of pancreatic cancer as well, no offence to those who are obese, but most got that way by eating 'processed' rubbish so......

Here's a quote from the study;
    '"The jury is still out as to whether meat is a definite risk factor for pancreatic cancer and more large studies are needed to confirm this. But this new analysis suggests processed meat may be playing a role."

I like 'the jury is still out' & 'may be' bit!

And a link to the version of the report (hope it works)!;
    Link and stuff

Anyway, good to be on this primal wagon thing, not too sure about a lot of the sciences involved, but it feels alright, so that's good enough for me!

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    I am deeply suspicious of this, because it reeks of "coincidence implies causation"; generally if a (non-paleo) person eats a ton of processed and red meats, they eat a ton of friend and processed junk in general. It's like concluding that eating whole grains causes people to exercise.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    The picture shows a burger. With bread. Usually eaten with fries. And a soda or a milkshake. Even if they just had the burger, often they are filled with a ton of non-meat fillers.

Denise Minger has a good blog page regarding correlation of meat and diseases. It might say something about pancreatic cancer. Give it a look, it's a great read.

Also, were any of the volunteers drinking bone stock or other things to improve meat digestion? This way, you wouldn't exhaust your pancreas.
    You can exhaust your pancreas by making it produce enzymes to digest meat (and other food). For example, milk sold at supermarkets has none of it's digestive enzymes, so your body has to exhaust its own to digest milk. Raw milk has digestive enzymes so this isn't a problem.

I truly believe that food can cause cancer, but these studies are just so badly done that I don't even bother reading them anymore. It's like they were done by 5 year-olds.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Dig62 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've stopped worrying about such things myself. It's gotten to the point now where there is literally a study that shows everything causes cancer... grains cause cancer, carbs cause cancer, meat, bacon, eggs... everything. I finally just decided to eat whole foods and let the dice fall where they may. So tired of living my life in fear and scrutinizing every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. I think research studies cause cancer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast