Thread: Obesity trends in the US page

texas.grok is online now Senior Member

Obesity trends in the US

Shop Now
    I ran across this yesterday. It shows the trend of obesity in the US, state-by-state, starting in 1985 and goes through 2010. As we started to rely more on CW, started using more and more HFCS and rely on the food pyramid, the trends towards obesity seems to climb accordingly. It parallels my personal experience as a paramedic in that when I first started working EMS back in the mid-70s, the morbidly obese patient was very rare but that trend started upwards through the 80s until I got of the field in 1990. Now it has gotten to the point that EMS systems are putting in special bariatric ambulances that can handle patients up to 1000 lbs. This might not be a bad teaching tool to show people how CW has utterly failed in addressing obesity in this country.

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    An interesting power-point they have created and it is scary how fast things have changed.

The sad thing is there have been so many studies showing this trend and the result is "eat more whole grains, cut down on sat fat, no meat etc". I don't know what it will take for people to see what they are doing is wrong.

They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result - then those who set the food plate/pyramid are definably ready for the loony bin.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Something to keep in mind:
    How Bad is Obesity, Really?

"At least a substantial part of the obesity epidemic can be accounted for by a change in the definition of "obesity." When the CDC changed the definition in 1997, 30 million Americans who had been of normal weight now found themselves to be obese, all without gaining a pound."

Fattening the Obesity Statistics, Arnold Kling, GQE | EconLog | Library of Economics and Liberty

The government is *always* working to declare new "crises" that will allow them to continue eroding our freedoms.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that argument before and that would account for a spike in 1997 but does not explain the increase since then.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    It's a way of Population Control (or at least slowing it down), because the religious fanatics will never settle for 1-2 kids.
    And - on top of it, everyone (xept for the patients) make a TON of money.