Thread: Lifting on an ache? page

barehard Guest

Shop Now

I planned to lift every other day but after a particularly intense workout 2 days ago, I can still only hobble down stairs (the joy of squats lol) Am I right in postponing my lifting for another day or is there benefit to be had from soldiering through? Google's thrown up conflicting advice. I've only been lifting/primal a little over a month and my goals are to add mass.

EDIT- and btw, to anyone that answered my last thread, Diana and co, I did read and appreciate your replies, I just couldn't log in to say so because I'd forgotten my password and I wasn't at mine. Thanks anyway.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

When I first started about a year ago, I soldiered through despite soreness (after GOOD WARMUPS!) The soreness diminished dramatically after a couple weeks.

Obviously, you want to be sure the soreness is just DOMS, not injury.

If you find yourself hesitating at the bottom of a flight of stairs, not because of the potential ouchiness of climbing, but because you just feel too weary to bother -- or if climbing a flight of stairs puts out out of breath -- back off. That's the beginning of overtraining.

Lifting heavy (whatever "heavy" means for you at this point) every other day is not necessarily a good idea. 2x per weeks is plenty. You can use sprint work and moving slowly to fill in the other days. If you're doing something less than "heavy," more is probably fine.

Did I mention a good warmup?

And, you can always do a lighter workout until the soreness recedes.

If you'd prefer to take the day off, that won't hurt -- especially if you're the kind of person who will get frustrated by the pain and give up if you try to push through. Just go for a walk or something instead.

Eat protein. Drink water. Sleep, sleep, sleep.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

John R Guest

I could barely walk (I'm not exaggerating) for 3 days after my first CrossFit workout (quads... Tabata squats, sigh.) I waited until the pain was down to a dull ache before working out again, and all was well. Don't underestimate the importance of recovery time... it's when the muscle gets built, when the gains get locked in. An extra day (or two) is often a good thing.

barehard Guest

Lovely. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. The only reason I asked really is because I read some opinions that the double stress on consecutive days followed by ample rest produces a greater stimulus for growth. Anyway, probably too advanced for me lol, I'll stick to an extra day off. Would do some sprints if I could actually run lol.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Interesting about the double stress thing...but I agree with John that rest is usually a good thing (rest, not laziness!) You don't build muscle in the gym.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Chunster495 is offline Member

Rest rest rest... and go at it hard when you're fully recovered... no point in trying to muscle through it just because of a schedule you've set up... listen to your body... you can do more harm than good by over training. Remember - workouts = muscle breakdown, recovery = Muscle building.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Second the bit about overtraining. You lose more ground over-doing it and not recovering than by pushing your limits more gradually.

One thing I learned from cycling up moutains---lots of sore quads!---is to drink extra water for a few days in order to flush the muscle proteins now floating in your circulation out of your system.

PWG