Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to eat when sick page

Jen330 is offline Junior Member

What to eat when sick

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My usual comfort foods when I'm sick would be chicken soup, saltine crackers, orange juice, and sprite all of which are loaded with carbs and sugar. I just can't see myself eating steak and broccoli when my throat is killing me. Anyone have any suggestions for some low carb and low sugar alternatives?

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Chicken bone broth with ginger, garlic, and cayenne. I like to poach an egg in the broth as well. A handful of spinach or finely slivered greens will boost the nutrient content as well. Plus LOTS of vitamin D3 and water.

LisaAnn is offline Junior Member
    I'm always watching my carb and sugar intake. However, when I get a cold nothing is better than a hot cup of chicken soup and hot tea. I just leave out the noodles. I don't care if its not the best choice I'm sick and it makes me feel better. I did stop the OJ though, I used to drink a whole gallon in the three days my cold would last. Now I stick to water and tea. So at least I've improved!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Scrambled eggs. I like to make an omelette for dinner even when not sick, so that's an option. Also, if you want something porridge like you can make one with almond or flax meal. Not a good idea to do all the time but on occasion it's okay. Also, smoothies.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Foods:
    Home-made chicken soup (sans noodles). Cauliflower-cheese casserole (if you eat dairy its almost like mac n cheese). Egg drop soup with lots of fresh ginger. Minestrone with lots of spinach (sans noodles but its high carb from the beans). Beef stew. Fresh fruit. I'm also starting to like braised cabbage in chicken broth for when I'm icky for some reason, I think its the salt.

Liquids:
    Water with slices of lemon, lime, and orange in it. Bone broth. Hot or iced tea (chamomile, green, and mint are my favs depending on what I'm sick with).
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen330 View Post
    My usual comfort foods when I'm sick would be chicken soup, saltine crackers, orange juice, and sprite all of which are loaded with carbs and sugar. I just can't see myself eating steak and broccoli when my throat is killing me. Anyone have any suggestions for some low carb and low sugar alternatives?
    Yes,

Prevent the sickness in the 1st place by taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin D3 Gellcaps daily to boost your immune system.
    Epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency sweeping the world
    Vitamin D optimization thoughts - Jack Kruse
    No more sore throats, no more colds, no more flu.

Grizz

Jen330 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for the advice! It was all very helpful. I still miss my oj but making my own chicken broth and adding veggies was actually very good. I didn't miss the noodles at all. Scrambled eggs were good too but couldn't do the omlette or the cauliflower and cheese bc dairy tends to increase production of mucus so not good when your sick but I will definatly be trying the cauliflower dish when I'm better. Great idea for a mac n cheese replacement. I will also look into increasing my vitamin d. I do take a multivitamin and a probiotic everyday and I dont get sick very often but I work in a drs office so sometimes its hard to avoid.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    10,000 IU?? I'm at 1600
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    10,000 IU?? I'm at 1600
    Kenn,
    I'm afraid you are extremely deficient with only 1,600 IU. Do your 25(OH)D blood test to see where you are. It should be at 70 to 100 ng/ml, as spcified by Dr. Davis and Dr. Kruse.
    Dr. Kruse:Try to optimize your vitamin D levels to 70-100 ng/mL.
    HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? - Jack Kruse
    At home blood test for $65 or for only $50 at your nearby Lab Corp. See details below my SIG line. The wife & I come in at a near perfect 70 ng/ml on the 10,000 IU Dosage. Be sure to use oil based gel tabs, preferably using Olive Oil.

If you change your dossage, wait 3 months before taking your blood test. It takes that long to fill up all the bodily reservoirs.
    You can easily alter your blood level.... Each 1,000 IU change will alter the blood reading by 10 ng/ml.

Grizz

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I say eat based on your energy levels. If you feel like you could go catch an animal in the wild, then eat a regular meal. If you can barely get out of bed, just drink liquids.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast