Thread: Anyone Knows Where to Buy Grass-Fed Soup-Bones in AB/Canada? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Anyone Knows Where to Buy Grass-Fed Soup-Bones in AB/Canada?

Primal Fuel
    By whatever reason we only get like 3 packaged of bones with our half-cow, so I need more, much more, to make soups. The only place I found was Marx foods, but guess what? This Quebec veal bones doesn't ship to Canada, only US. WTF? Anyone knows a good supplier for Calgary?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    Do you have a local butcher? I'm sure that many bones go to waste there, and could be sold to you for a small price.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Try the eatwild site for great info on all kinds of grass-fed meat, eggs, bones, whatever. It appears there are some hits for Calgary.

Eat Wild - Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    By whatever reason we only get like 3 packaged of bones with our half-cow, so I need more, much more, to make soups. The only place I found was Marx foods, but guess what? This Quebec veal bones doesn't ship to Canada, only US. WTF? Anyone knows a good supplier for Calgary?
    BTW, since you are buying half a cow, you should specify that you want the the soup bones and marrow bones. When I get even a quarter beef, there are plenty of bones that come with it! Most people don't want bones and a lot of farmers don't pass them along unless requested.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Hi, you can get Goat at Walmart. The Royal Oak store sells a big bag of goat stewing meat that has a lot of bones in it. Goat is almost always grass fed(goats will eat almost anything but don't put on much weight when fed grain or corn so most farmers don't waste the money). Goat is rather strong tasting though.

Alternatively if you don't mind a little drive there is a place in Cochrane that is called Cochrane butchery. Call them at 403-981-3300. They have both regular and grass fed beef but no hormones, antibiotics etc They also often do butchering for hunters - ie elk deer etc. I am sure they would be happy to sell you some of those bones.
    They also sell pork, duck, chicken etc as well as offal.You can also get free range turkey at thanksgiving and christmas.
    Not the cheapest place. There is also a butcher/abbatoir at Balzac(opposite side of the highway from Cross iron) that often butchers for local ranchers - most of this is grass fed) you could try them
    Cochrane Butchery - All natural meat

If none of that works let me know and I might have a few otehr ideas for you.
    Cheers
    j

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was thinking about buying Halal goat/mutton in superstore, but then I found the TK Ranch, and I am getting 50 lbs of soup bones from grass-fed/grass-finished beef, YAY! That should be enough to soup us up for this year. Thank you for the wildeat recommendation!

BTW, since you are buying half a cow, you should specify that you want the the soup bones and marrow bones. When I get even a quarter beef, there are plenty of bones that come with it! Most people don't want bones and a lot of farmers don't pass them along unless requested.
    My order form specified, "as many bones as you would have, please, please, PLEASE!!!" we got 2 packages of ~ 2 lbs and the oxtail. Oxtail was great I am guessing the butcher keeps it? next year I should probably make a fuss.
    Last edited by Leida; 01-16-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.