Thread: Primal diet and skin health page

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

In search of papers discussing primal diet improving skin condition. Friend refusing to believe elimination of wheat, etc. could lead to improved skin. Thanks in advance for any help!

Nick Guest

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16436335

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12477369

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18547319

That should get you started.

mattlorig is offline Junior Member

I don't have a link, but I notice that I have smoother, shinier skin, when I supplement with ground flax seed. I know Mark recommends fish oil over flax. But, I definitely notice a positive change in skin health with flax; I haven't seen the same change with fish oil.

Miriam Guest

My skin is heaps better since cutting the grains and increasing the fat, if I miss moisturizing my body for a day it doesn’t matter as I am not so dry and my face is really clear, I still get a few spots (argh I am 35) but they clear up a lot quicker and my skin tone is a lot better, so need to use less foundation now.

I also had weird bumpy patches on my arms and legs and they have cleared up since going primal and they had been plaguing me for years, I cannot remember not ever happening them and the other day I noticed they are no longer there – whoohoo come on summer so I can wear a tank top and show off my arms instead of hiding them because of peoples comments (I used to get sick of people asking me what was wrong with my arms and was I sun burnt as that is what is looks like but with spotty bits!).

So I definitely can give you a yes that eliminating grains has helped my skin.

cc40 is offline Junior Member

I've seen positive results as far as my skin goes. I've had skin issues all my life, and within the past 3.5 weeks of removing grains and other sugars things have changed. My skin just "feels" better to the touch, and I have little to no dryness and no itching as I would have normally.

"Normally" ... such a tough word to use. Could it be that my entire life I was ingesting something that I was allergic to, because it was "normal" food?

natalienw Guest

For me, my skin didn't clear until I finally cut out the peanut butter. I have been eating it all my life and have always had acne problems. At first, I decided it must be the grains, but even after I gave those up, I still had acne flair ups. Then I finally gave in and cut out the peanut butter, not because I thought it affected my skin, but because it is non-primal. A couple days later, my skin starting to clear up. A week later, the old scars started to fade. I caved one day and ate some peanut butter cause I was craving it, and the next morning I started to see whiteheads forming and my face started to throb. So lesson learned, no more peanut butter, even as an indulgence once in a while. I must be somewhat allergic to them. I know, you were wanting scientific research, but I wanted to give my experience! Don't know if it helps or now!

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Great experiences, thanks for everything! My friend has issues with facial acne. I used to have the bumps on the back of my arms and didn't even notice they were gone, but nothing back there anymore!