Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I eat a lot of fruit? page

Pandadude is offline Senior Member

I've sortof been unable to figure this out, despite searching around a bit. Vitamins and antioxidants seem to be the plusses, but people suggest limiting them because of their large amounts of carbs and sugars. I'm not trying to lose weight, however so is there any reason for me to limit my fruit (and thereby carb) intake, or can I just dig in?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

If you're not trying to lose weight, I don't think there will be any problem.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Mark recommends keeping your carbs between 100-150g per day for maintenance. It's pretty easy to do that and still eat 1-3 pieces of fruit per day (depending on type, and assuming you're not loading up on other carb-heavy foods like starchy vegetables or dairy). Save some carbs for veggies, though.

Personally, I keep my carbs in the 50-80g range because I like being very lean. That means 0-1 pieces of fruit most days, and lots of veggies. I think the veggies are much more important than fruit when it comes to nutrient content, and they're much lower in sugar. Fruit is a quality-of-life thing for me.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Atm I'm eating around 5 pieces of fruit a day (2 apples, a pear, a banan and an orange seems to be the usual), and probably sugary veggies like carrots and peas aswell. I'm not gaining weight on this, I'm lean, and I'm not really looking to lose weight. Guess I'm just wondering if there are any other negative factors for eating like this, problems with insuline, inflammation etc?

Vick is offline Senior Member

Today's fruit still has plenty of nutrients but have been modified to be bigger and more sugars.

The sugars will add to insulin spikes so I'm more in the 0-1 serving camp. A good time is before a workout or walk since the exercise will help keep the sugar spike lower.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you're ok on the body comp bit, but yes, I would pay attention to the possible long-term effects of the insulin response to that much fruit (that's 115g carbs and 75g sugar in fruit alone!) Insulin is implicated in arterial plaque formation, inflammation (the two are closely related), and all manner of other problems from neurological disorders to cancer to energy swings.

That said, individuals have different levels of insulin sensitivity. You may be able to safely handle more carbs, including fruit, than someone else can. And fruit is surely better than Hershey bars and bagals!

It might be cool to experiment with significantly less fruit for a few weeks and see how you feel. You can always go back if the results aren't worth it.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

pandadude, I'll bet you are not sixty years of age, right?

I was skinny most of my life but the SAD caught up with me and by last year I was at 285 pounds.

That's a lot of fruit by any nutritional measure even if you aren't gaining weight. Now.

Thanks for all the advice Yeah I'm only 17 years old @OP.

I suppose I'll lay off the fruit a bit, or keep it masked in salads whenever possible, and only resort to it when I'm in a fruit vs candy/fastfood/etc decision!

FairyRae2 Guest

You might find it helpful to check out fitday.com to enter in your typical daily food consumption to see how many carbs you are actually getting. I keep my goal range at 100-150 g carbs, and have learned how many carbs I can/cannot eat to stay in that range.

Have you seen the PB carb curve? May be of some help to you in deciding what amount of carbs is best for you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

As long as your muscles need the glucose insulin won't be a problem.

That is about a can and a half of coke worth of fructose though. Spread through the day that should not be a problem either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast