Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Addicted joggers, bullshit Vibrams, and anti-running rant.... page

Addicted joggers, bullshit Vibrams, and anti-running rant....

A friend asked me about Vibram's (I assume he's looking to get into jogging), so this was my reply..... Let's hear your reaction. Yay or nay? (Please refrain from commenting on the tone/congeniality of the text, I don't care. Content & message only)

Like I said, you're asking the wrong question. "Is hitting my face with a wrench better than hitting my face with a hammer?" Umm, sure.... balls of feet may be more natural, better, whatever, running on pavement is unnatural regardless of heel vs. ball or some sans-sneaker gimmick. Totally missing the big picture.

As far as jogging, most long-term runners are clearly addicted, and it's just well-intentioned ignorance, at this point. I literally wince when I see these idiots jogging on pavement with both knees bandaged. Dude, you're fucking hobbling. STOP RUNNING, moron. Straight up addiction, obsessive, whatever. What appears "healthy" on the surface it's just another vice like hookers, gambling, fast money, or drugs.

Blah is offline Senior Member
    My question is have you done, or seen any research showing that the ground on the plains of Africa when we evolved was any softer or better for running. People tell me all the time we evolved running on softer surfaces but I've never seen proof. Its really about the technique, softer running, lower impact, no heel striking. Using a barefoot technique in 'normal' shoes can help lot, using the same old heel strike in vibrams will make it even worse.

I do some running in vibrams, I like the feel, its easier to keep good technique with a thinner sole (for me) and I found having a heel lift threw off my biomechanics.

As for the stop running thru injuries and addiction, I think you right.
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    Does running on softer surfaces have any benefit?

Blah is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Does running on softer surfaces have any benefit?
    Good article, thanks
    www.back-to-primal.blogspot.com or on Facebook here

My training journal if anyone is interested

Be strong to be useful

Big Jim is offline Senior Member
    No prob. Nothing beats facts for clearing up differences of opinion.

Yea, but we weren't disagreeing on that point (type of surface to run on)

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I cannot speak to running or jogging in VFFs, because as a handicapped person it's not really an option...

BUT I will say that simply using VFFs for walking has improved my feet x1000! Seriously.
    I have a nerve disease that affects my right leg/foot, and for YEARS (1997-2010) I had severe pain, swelling, and atrophy issues from wearing typical big high dollar shoes (custom fit at a shop + custom orthotics insert bullshit). All that got me was PAIN. I limped constantly, and shuffled or dragged my right foot. It had even begun to turn in. The pain from wearing conventional shoes would leave me near tears at times.

Then one day my husbands new GSD did me a huge favor and chewed up my least painful pair of conventional shoes, and in considering my options for a new pair I ran across VFFs. This was before all the hype, I had never even heard of BTR (but I did read a Harvard study), and I had never seen another person wearing them. I decided to give them a shot because I knew that I was more comfortable at home barefoot. I only put on shoes (the conventional ones that try to push your foot into some fixed shape it's "supposed" to be according to some designer... NOT evolution) minutes before leaving the house, and took them off the second I got home... and often had to remove the right one if I was in the car due to pain. It seemed like less might be the answer for me.... and it was! Yes my feet were sore at first... but after only a week or two in them I told my husband I didn't care if he liked them or not, I was wearing them full time. Another month or so later and I chucked 90% of my conventional shoes in the trash. A couple of pair of black pumps are necessary for emergencies such as funerals... But I have worn black suede maryjane VFFs with slacks and a blouse to several other functions with no apologies or qualms.

VFFs haven't cured my disease, but they do not increase the pain in my foot at all. In fact my foot is in better shape that it has been in nearly 15 years. It's flexible, I actually USE it to walk, and it no longer turns in (atrophy has reversed). I still have a very slight limp on bad days, but honestly... I will NEVER wear conventional shoes again.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I cannot speak to running or jogging in VFFs, because as a handicapped person it's not really an option...

BUT I will say that simply using VFFs for walking has improved my feet x1000! Seriously.
    Same... I do not run or jock im them or anything. But I do love the way they feel on my feet and will continue to wear them proud. Also my girlfriend is a massage therapist (yes... that is as good as you think it is... and then some) and she gives me a good foot rub weekly. Since rocking vffs, my feet are far less tight and loosen right up with ease.

Little_Fish is offline Member
    I have run on pavement in my VFF's. It lets me know if I have any imperfections in the way my feet land, so I did it often to teach myself better form. For example, I noticed that my right foot wasn't landing the way the left foot was and it (the right foot) started cramping on the top of my foot because I was tensing it up. I began focusing and trying to make my right foot land just like my left and the cramp went away. Once I had corrected the way I was running, pavement running felt awesome. It seems like pavement running with vffs requires perfect form because it's such a hard surface and you have to land perfect. At the end of a run, my feet would feel a little sore from running on such a hard surface (I ran in classics and sprints which are really thin) I try to trail run once a week, which I like way better because the ground is mostly soft and sometimes squishy (mud) heh heh.

I won't ever run on any surface in a pair of bulky Nikes or any other shoe ever again because I feel like the less rubber between my foot and the ground, the less chance I'm going to injure myself from the act of running.
    Last edited by Little_Fish; 01-13-2012 at 08:51 AM.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Running is natural. Our ancestors were masters of adaptation. Modern man, maybe not so much. "Well intentioned ignorance" applies to much more than running. Exactly what activity involving exertion out of the pure enjoyment of the activity doesn't involve potential injury? Could you properly account for how it was done 12,000 years ago so that our exact evolution would keep you from being injured, sore, or "over-trained"?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast