Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allergic reactions page

ar0e is offline Member

Allergic reactions

Shop Now
    A few days ago I went out to sushi and enjoyed some non-primal treats (part of my 20% lol), specifically salmon rolls and a few crunchy crab rolls which were topped with eel sauce. I've had salmon and crab rolls before, but never eel sauce. Within 6 hours of eating it I started getting weird itchy spots on my skin. Its now 2 days later and I have a huge, red, itchy spot on my neck and then itchy, burning areas on my stomach, back, and legs but no bumps there. I also have stabbing pains where the itching is and I just don't feel very well. Does this sound like an allergic reaction to eel perhaps? I've never had an allergic reaction to anything so I'm clueless on this matter. If this is an allergy issue, how long should it take to subside? I've been drinking TONS of water and I took some benadryl last night but nothing has helped. This is slowly driving me crazy!

Korga is offline Member
    Yeah, sounds like a food allergy all right! Hopefully it will pass in a week or two.
    It's possible it was from the shellfish (notorious for pollution-related toxins), tainted Salmon, OR the Eel sauce (which contains a dozen ingredients).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Is it possible that you have shingles (from chicken pox - have you had them)? A rash w/ stabbing nerve pain on the trunk of the body that does not repond to benadryl fits that description. Does the rash look or feel like a burn? It may be time to check w/ a Dr. The sushi may have been a trigger or coincidence.

Just an idea - hope you feel better soon!

ar0e is offline Member
    Thank you. I had chickenpox twice when I was a baby, and both times were extreme. I've done a little research since I read your post and it sounds like this could be the cause. The pain and itching is only on one side of my body wrapping from the middle of my back to my belly button. I have been under a great deal of stress lately but I'm only 26 isn't shingles more of an elderly person illness? It's been almost 3 days since the pain started but I still don't have a rash just tingling pain and itch. Is there anything I can do to treat this now before I get the rash? Unfortunately I don't have health insurance so I need to try things on my own if possible before spending a ton of money going to the doctor.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    Thank you. I had chickenpox twice when I was a baby, and both times were extreme. I've done a little research since I read your post and it sounds like this could be the cause. The pain and itching is only on one side of my body wrapping from the middle of my back to my belly button. I have been under a great deal of stress lately but I'm only 26 isn't shingles more of an elderly person illness? It's been almost 3 days since the pain started but I still don't have a rash just tingling pain and itch. Is there anything I can do to treat this now before I get the rash? Unfortunately I don't have health insurance so I need to try things on my own if possible before spending a ton of money going to the doctor.
    I would work on destressing, find ways to relax..try some yoga, take time for yourself, maybe a few personal days. Take some time to rest heal and eat some good primal food.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    CW says shingles is an old person's disease... nuff said! I would have thought that there is usually a rash on the body, but then I suffer from opthalmic shingles several times a year and only had a rash the first time. If it's possibly shingles you don't want to mess with it, you might need anti virals... it can be quite debilitating and it is not necessarily a one time thing. Good luck...
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    if you have shingles, there are natural dietary and herbal options to support your immune system: check these out or google herbal antivirals:
    Best Antiviral Herbs

There are a lot of healing foods to try; bone broths, garlic, etc. Good luck!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Check with a pharmasist at the drug store (a good one) because they can give some good advice as to whether there is any over the counter relief, etc. Definitely work on destressing as this seems to be a big part of the puzzle. I also had chicken pox twice and may not be able to be immune. Don't know how this effects the disease. Since you are so young, this may be a sign that something is not happy in your body. I have a friend who has had problems with this for months and needs narcotics to sleep the rash is so disturbing. I would not wait long to seek some help as this can be quite painfull (as I'm sure you well know) and you may find inexpensive help w/o an expensive Dr. visit.

HarpLady is offline Member
    On reading your post, my first thought was also shingles. I get shingles from chocolate and nuts (especially peanuts), as they are high in arginine, an amino acid that feeds the shingles virus (and any other herpes related viruses). Stress can also be a trigger. If you take lysine, or eat foods high in lysine, it can shorten the attack. A lysine cream might also be helpful. Here's a helpful link:
    Foods High in Lysine
    Terri the Harp Player
    www.harpsinger.net

Wherever you go, there you are!

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpLady View Post
    On reading your post, my first thought was also shingles. I get shingles from chocolate and nuts (especially peanuts), as they are high in arginine, an amino acid that feeds the shingles virus (and any other herpes related viruses). Stress can also be a trigger. If you take lysine, or eat foods high in lysine, it can shorten the attack. A lysine cream might also be helpful. Here's a helpful link:
    Foods High in Lysine
    It's related to herpes?!?! :/

Between my weird symptoms and my boyfriend watching 'Contagion' there is no way I'll be able to relax tonight!

I took some ibuprofen before dinner (I know it's not very Grok of me but I was desperate!) and had a glass of red wine after dinner and the pain has subsided a little. I'm hoping I can find a good pharmacist in the morning to offer some relieve and I'm crossing my fingers I don't wake up with a blistered rash. I was hoping to make it to yoga tomorrow but it hurts to bend over even just to pick up something of the floor so I'm not sure how well I would do. Would a good 20 minutes of yoga breathing help to release some stress and toxins?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast