Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going barefoot! page

primalmart Guest

Shop Now

Hi all!

I didn't figure out how to search on this forum so I'm excusing for asking already answered questions.

I recently got interrested in barefoot running. Since I don't do any workout / fitness at all I probably could need some hints on where to start...

I walk regularly (couple of hours weekly). Problem is that I've used soft reebooks (walking model) and my feet a probably quite untrained.. This week I've started out walking in my old converse shoes. Since these are notoriuous "bad" flat shoes I guessed it could be a start. I've also gotten a pair of swimming shoes mentioned here. Now my feet are hurting a bit (not too bad, mostly a "tired" sensation in the arches) and I'm afraid of getting any common feet problems..

Also, I tried out some slow and careful jogging the other day (1min jogg / 1minute walk for a half mile).

Appreciate any tips/tricks !

CrossFix Guest

well you got it right... you gotta walk before you run.

I say get a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. Go to the track and walk a couple rounds on it. Do that for a week. If you can't find a track go walk around on some grass for some padding. When you feel more comfortable progress to speed walking/ light jog.

At first do not jog for more than a lap on the track. You really have to give your body time to recondition your feet and ankles. The foot is also a muscle and it takes time to heal.

I have humongous ego issues so I thought I could run in them right off the bat. A week off of workouts and constant icing taught me a good lesson.

Just take it slow... luckily the human body adapts very quickly. You can reprogram those feet with a little bit of patience.

primalmart Guest

Thanks for a fast reply Randy! Good tips!

I'm definately getting a pair of VFF's asap (or as soon it gets a bit less icy/snowy outside).

Gonna take it slow with the running and focusing on stenghtening my feet.

guido Guest

I found it really helpful to wear the fivefingers all the time. Daily use of them helps you start to stretch/strengthen the calf/achilles tendon and all of the little muscles, tendons and liniments in your feet without the sudden stress that using them only for workouts creates. You end up stronger in the end with fewer pains when you actually start to run in them.

primalmart Guest

I'm really excited about this! I think I'm gonna get some moccasins or similar to wear at work for now and definately aquire a pair of vibrams when it gets warmer!

Thanks guido!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Do more walking on the swim shoes, remove the insole for a closer to the ground feel and take your socks off, take it slow. I run on those, don't want to shell out the money for Vibrams and also I don't think I could wear them, two of my toes on both feet are kinda fused together halfway (it doesn't look weird, most people don't even notice) but since Vibrams separate the toes I could see that being an issue with me wearing them.

I've found jogging/sprinting in a more barefoot way gives you AWESOME calf muscles, soreness is very common at first but after a while they'll start looking real nice. My Muaythai buddies were interested in my "secret" since a lot of the kicking and kneeing techniques require you to get up on your toes and flex your calves.

I saw a guy at my college wearing all black Vibrams with jeans on, it looked rad! I bet not many noticed either ...

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

ToddF Guest

Another shoe that is great for wearing in casual settings and helping you adjust to barefoot is Vivo Barefoot from Terra Plana. I have the Dharma in both black and brown and they are pretty much the only shoe I wear to work now. They are expensive but well worth the money.

http://www.terraplana.com/vivobarefoot.php

CrossFix Guest

I do have to say its addicting though. I use my Vibrams for all of my CrossFit workouts.

I'm excited for you..

Cheers!

Double-A is offline Junior Member

Anyone else recommend the Vivo's? (Not that I mistrust your endorsement, ToddF, but I'd like to hear more input).

Vibram has been out of my size (I wear a 9 in US men's, 38 by their standards) for over 6 months now, in every shoe that I have tried to find. Even wanted to do a high women's fit, and nothing. Alas, its impossible for me to get Vibram's atm

So looking like Vivo's, but damn they are expensive... look nice though!

guido Guest

It looks like the Vivos are great for making me feel better about the price of fivefingers Treks ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast