Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going barefoot! page 2

primalmart Guest

I've torn out the inside sole on the swimming shoes. Today I'm going for a little stroll down town to try 'em out

A question on regular walking.. When I walk in the swimming shoes I notice that I slightly hammer down my feet.. How do I best position my feet when I walk? Is it ok for some pronation (rolling slightly outwards midfoot -> in) ?

guido Guest

For me, I find that if I don't really focus on walking what I feel is a slight impact on the heel. But if I really tune in to my feet, what is really happening is that I am landing on the ball/midfoot and that soaks up 99% of the real impact shock and only the last tiny touch of the heel bone touching down on the heel pad registers as impact. You get used to this pretty fast, try softer surfaces until you do. I would not sweat pronation (which is pretty much of an artifact of wearing shoes that prevent the natural function of the foot). Focus on feeling full even contact with the ball of the foot and the base of all of your toes. In a short while that even distribution will become your normal stride and your foot will naturally support you properly. After walking remember to stretch your achilles tendon and do lots of full range of motion rolling of the ankle.

good luck!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

In the martial art I used to study, proper walking was burned into our very being.

If you think of placing your foot in front of you, then "pulling" your body forward over the foot with each step, it reduces the impact to almost zero.

In this way, you maintain your balance, and can take the weight back OFF the foot if something unexpected happens (like coming down on a nail). He also emphasised always keeping your knee and foot pointed in the same direction.

It's simple...but not easy. It took awhile to learn; but it's still paying dividends for me with my torn-up meniscus. My sensei is in his 80's now, and he still takes his dogs out walking several miles per day. Nobody can keep up with him :-)

primalmart Guest

More answers, nice!!

I've been out today shopping, wearing the swim shoes. I had my iphone gps on and it measured about 2miles. I feel a little sore in my heels so I guess I have to pay more attention..Maybe the cold numbs the feet a bit too (not to the point of acheing freeze but cold).. I also think I'm getting blisters on the balls of my feet so I'm probably doing _something_ right

Is there any exercises one can use for strengthening the feet? (except being out walking). I read somewhere about doing jumps on the top of my feet but also squats (squatting with the whole foot touching the ground)

Thanks fo the support, you guys rock!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

primalmart,

Another really good exercise is to pick up a small object on the floor with your toes (plus, it's fun!)

I like to pick something up with one foot, then try to drop it into my opposite hand.

The gripping motion your toes perform with this exercise really strengthens and stabilizes your whole foot.

primalmart Guest

kuno1chi,

haha! Actually, I'm doing that already, not as training but when I'm too lazy to pick it up with my hands ;D

I'll just keep at it

NicoB is offline Senior Member

I bought a pair of Vivo Dharma last fall since I needed a "dressier" shoe than my VFF for job interviews and whatnot.

I love em! A little expensive, but for the money they've gone through snow, me being on my feet all day, etc.

Totally worth it.

As far as barefoot walking and running is concerned... And I know this is a CRAZY idea, but do it barefoot.

VFF are great, and for day to day stuff where you can't or don't want to be barefoot they are super.

But if you are training outdoors then I'd say leave them off and work your feet. Slowly and properly.

Barefoot lifestyle is slowly turning into a gizmo fetish. Trying to do things in 20 different ways that are "like" or "almost" barefoot... Try barefoot.

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Just as an intro to barefoot running, I had a ton of fun doing barefoot hill sprints on my property last year. I live in the country with several acres, but you could do the same thing at a local park. I also went to a nearby lake and sprinted around the beach barefoot. I never headed out on the gravel roads without my Nike Eclipses (like the Frees), though I was hoping I could work up to that this summer. I also ran on my treadmill without shoes or with some slipper/moccasins without any problem. It makes running so much more novel and exciting! While I had initial soreness, I did get used to it pretty quickly.

louden is offline Junior Member

It's seems five fingers are hard to come by (at least here in Seattle) REI is the best place to get them, and I they've been out. I called, and they noted that since they're now online, they should be in the store by next weekend.

primalmart Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I walked home from work the other day in the aqua shoes.. A total of ~1.5 miles.. After a little more than half of the way I started to get sore on the balls of my feet. When I came home I had blisters on both feet.. Do you guys drain them or not? Since mine where kinda deep I drained them and they felt a lot better the next day. I really long for the spring to come so I don't have to wear double socks in the thin aqua shoes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast