Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else make their $$ from the medical or pharma industry? page

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member

Anyone else make their $$ from the medical or pharma industry?

Primal Fuel
    and feel completely guilty about it sometimes? I started working for a company that supports clinical trial research about 4 months ago. I went primal shortly thereafter and now there are times I feel like a total hypocrite. I try to justify that what I do is ok because I'm helping improve the quality of a not-so-perfect process. That's about all I can hold on to.

How do you deal with it? Have you thought about jumping ship?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    There is a right and proper place for modern medicine. It's not all garbage. You are working on trials to collect research to make sure drugs are safe and effective. That's probably one of the most important aspects of the pharmaceutical industry.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    If it makes you feel better, I too, work for a large healthcare company. And get frustrated at our benefit programs for pushing a supposed healthy lifestyle of grains, blah blah blah. However, there was a recent post of someone who was in a similar position as me (I'm a Recruiter and the other is an HR Benefits Mgr), and she had to promote a similar program and wasn't sure how to do it.... It was suggested to take pride in the parts that are truth - like real WHOLE foods, more vegetables, quality protein sources, moderate exercise, etc. I too get frustrated.... I'd like to jump ship but since I don't have a sugar daddy supporting me I won't jump ship for that reason...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

kenn is offline Senior Member
    My cousin does and she's nothing more than a mouthpiece. Inquire deeper than the shallow
    Level of sales pitches and it's quite embarrassing to watch.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I am a science writer and I work in education technology and I sometimes find myself in a roughly similar bent when Im given source material (biology, primarily) that espouses CW and recommends the latest government-recommended agri-subsidy ad-campaign--oh im sorry, i meant diet. What I do is try to make subtle tweaks to my work that dont outright tell the student that these ideas are bad and wrong (cause I cant simply say "your textbook and professor are wrong, screw them") but they present critical thinking scenarios that I hope open the student to the idea that there are other facets to understanding diet than what is presented in the textbook or by their professor. Then hopefully if they discover paleo or some variation of it later on their own, they will have the framework to understand what its saying already in place.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I work for a university with a few bioengineering research labs. I have to post press releases on the website sometimes. One of them was even lambasted by a few of the paleo blogs out there. I don't think there's anything for me to be ashamed of just being a boring old web worker. But sometimes I feel ashamed at the low level of esteem I hold for the work that is done at this supposedly top-notch university.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Formerly, I sold new cars for a domestic manufacturer. My family owned the dealership, so I always had a new car to drive and I varied the models to know what the cars were like. That gave me empathy and understanding what my customers experienced. I had one domestic small car in the early 80s that clearly were off the mark. I sold it cheerfully but not to friends. I would sell them a re badged import that I carried.

You find a work around and a moral plateau to operate on.

kkratz57 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, thanks for the feedback! Yes, I'm trying to find silver linings. The pharma industry isn't going anywhere, so I may as well join the party and do my quality and stat work and hope that one of the drugs we help push through the system does more good than harm. It's when the opposite happens despite best efforts that makes me cringe.

Not to mention that the mentality in my company food-wise is SAD diet + stupid office eating events (aka sugar, wheat, more sugar, more wheat, etc) -- because they'll just take one of the drugs down the road. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGH HHHHHHHH!!!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kkratz57 View Post
    and feel completely guilty about it sometimes? I started working for a company that supports clinical trial research about 4 months ago. I went primal shortly thereafter and now there are times I feel like a total hypocrite. I try to justify that what I do is ok because I'm helping improve the quality of a not-so-perfect process. That's about all I can hold on to.

How do you deal with it? Have you thought about jumping ship?

you gotta let these petty moral hang-ups go.

you do what you do. that's it. it doesn't have to be that deep.

dado Guest
    you go crazy doing that, man.

you weave this deep enough and you will cry when you step on a sidewalk because a patch of grass was killed for the concrete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast