Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishAussie View Post
    First time poster long time lurker.
    Let me tell you my story.
    Sex: not enough or I mean female!!
    Weight 70 kg
    Height 5'5"

My story.
    I have always struggled with my weight. I always had to diet and exercise to be the way I wanted but it was doable. Then I had 4 kids. It got harder and harder to lose the weight and keep it off. I ate well or so I thought with 'treats' on weekends. Starved myself back down to 60 kg. 2 years ago I found Marks Daily Apple. Bought the book and I gave up grained and implemented all of the recommendations in the book. And myself and my family have eaten this way since. But my weight is still a problem for me. If I am careful with what I eat and if I keep calories low I can lose but it is not easy. I tried to eat till I am full for a few months at the end of last year. Waiting for my body to adjust but it hasn't. The only thing that has adjusted is my weight. UP! I still eat like a horse. I have also added a lot of coconut oil in. Upwards of 7 tablespoons a day. It helps but I still want more food.
    So one day, early December, I found this tread and read the whole thing. Thinking I had discovered my problem I jumped straight in to the Reset. I did it 100%. BAS, which was and still is a struggle, and I always need lunch and dinner. Started and 68 kg and am now 70 kg While reading this tread I started to see other symptoms I had been experiencing. Weight might not be my only issue? Foggy brain, low sex drive, headaches.. So I decided to go to the doctor and get the tests Dr Kruse recommends. My results came back today. I am in shock. Maybe there is another reason, besides busy mum, for my symptoms??!! Maybe I am not just getting old and expecting too much by wanting to feel alive with energy, desire, and motivation like I did many year ago??!!
    Anyone care to hack my results? Any onformation or advice will be greatly appreciated. My doctor is sending me to an Endocrinologist and I would like to fully understand what my results mean. I am also getting Salivary cortisol, progesterone, DHEA, testosterone and oestrogen tests. These have to be done on day 21 of cycle.

Results
    Vitamin B12 591 pmol/L
    RBC Folate 1546 nmol/L(1060-2850)
    Vit D 122 nmol/L I am no longer afraid of the sun. When I first moved to Australia I covered myself and my children with sun cream. Now I enjoy the sun without any guilt thanks to Mark but is this level too high?I have also been taking a supplement.

dr K likes vit D (100-150) (I think)

Free T4 17.4 pmol/L (9.0-25.0) pmol/L
    TSH .50 mIU/L (0.35-5.50)mIU/L----------->are you supplementing with thyroid hormones?
    free T3 4.5 pmol/L (3.5-6.5)pmol/L

Still waiting for Reverse T3 results

Iron Studies Reference Range
    Iron 17.5 umol/L (9.0-26.0) umol/L
    Transferrin 2.44 g/L (2.10-3.80)g/L
    Saturation 29 % (13-51) %
    Ferritin 32 ug/L (10-120)ug/L

Glucose Fasting 5.5 mmol/L (Going for glucose tolerance test)
    Reference Range
    Thyroglobulin antibodies 155 U/ml (<60)
    Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies 83 U/ml (<60)
    Says "Euthyroid levels. Positive auto-antibodies noted."

Opinions are divided, everybody says add lots of selenium. That should lower antibodies.
    Some say add iodine/iodide right away, others are saying wait until antibodies subside and are at least within range.

There is more to it.
    Some of it you may want to read here:
    rT3 high, how to deal with it, #2 - Page 24

////

General Chemistry Reference Range
    Sodium 141 mmol/L (135-145) mmol/L
    Potassium 4.3 mmol/L (3.7-5.3) mmol/L
    Bicarbonate 34 mmol/L (Out of normal range of (20-32) mmol/L but doctor said it is not significant)
    Magnesium .93 mmol/L (.70-1.00) mmol/L (taking Magnesium supplement for about 4 months)
    Calcium 2.32 mmol/L (2.10-2.60) mmol/L

Homocysteine
    8.0 umol/L (5.0-15.0)

Lipid Studies Reference Range
    Total Chol 5.3 mmol/L
    HDL Chol 2.0 mmol/L (>1.0)
    LDL Chol 3.0 mmol/L (<2.5)(Doctor said I need to eat less fat to bring this down)
    Triglyceride 0.6 mmol/L (<1.5)
    Ldl/HDL Ratio 1.5
    Chol/Hdl Ratio 2.7
    Reference Range
    hsCRP <0.1 mg/L <1.0 Low Risk

Blood tests for hormone levels taken Day 11 in menstrual cycle. Follicular phase.

Reference Range
    Testosterone 0.8 nmol/L (.4-2.7)
    FSH 6.5 IU/L (2.5-10)
    LH 4.9 IU/L (<15)
    Oestradiol 165 pmol/L (70-530)
    Progesterone 0.8 nmol/L (<5)
    DHEA-sulphate 2.3 umol/L (1.8-7.8)
    Vitamin B12 591 pmol/L=800pg/mL --->supplement, aim for slightly over 1000
    RBC Folate 1546 nmol/L(1060-2850) ----->>supplement with folic acid, in case that does not help, use FolaPro from Metagenics
    Glucose Fasting 5.5 mmol/L=99mg/dL ------->check fasting insulin

Blood tests for hormone levels taken Day 11 in menstrual cycle. Follicular phase.

Testosterone 0.8 nmol/L (.4-2.7)=23ng/dL (12- 78) Testosterone ng/dl 0.0347 nmol/l
    FSH 6.5 IU/L (2.5-10)
    LH 4.9 IU/L (<15)
    Oestradiol 165 pmol/L (70-530)= 44.9 pg/mL (19-45) Estradiol pg/ml 3.671 pmol/l
    Progesterone 0.8 nmol/L (<5)=0.3 ng/mL (1.6 ) Progesterone ng/ml 3.18 nmol/l
    DHEA-sulphate 2.3 umol/L----I have a problem convertig units, still assume you want your value at high end

When you take together all major steroid hormones, in the serum, by weght, and call it 100%
    DHEAs part takes 95%
    DHEAs is very important
    your DHEAs is low
    Everybody's DHEAs (and most other hormones are going down as we age)
    therefore laboratory ranges account for age (to make you feel better)
    that is cheating
    you want hormones as young 20yo healthy girl have
    you want
    DHEAsWomen (275-400) μg/dL

read more about it here:
    DHEA Restoration Therapy Hormone Replacement Therapy
    DHEA Restoration Therapy - Hormone Replacement Therapy, DHEA, 7-Keto - Life Extension Health Concern

while you are at it, read:
    Homocysteine Reduction
    Homocysteine Reduction - Homocysteine, Homocysteine Levels - Life Extension Health Concern
    Female Hormone Restoration
    Female Hormone Restoration: Online References For Health Concerns

Data From above reference:
    note that they do not talk much about preg/E balance
    and specially
    that you can get progesterone when you make sure that you have pregnenolone (first)

Hormone Optimal Range
    DHEA-s: 250-380 g/dL
    --------------
    Total estrogen:
    Day (01 – 10)----------------- (61 – 394) pg/mL
    Day (11 – 20)----------------- (122 – 437) pg/mL
    Day (21 – 30)----------------- (156 – 350) pg/mL

Menopause & post-menopause: (75 – 200) pg/mL
    -------------
    Estradiol: Lowest dose to ameliorate symptoms: 30-50 pg/mL

Typical replacement such as with a BiEst cream/gel: 80-100 pg/mL

Higher end replacement/ restoration of menstrual cycle: 90-250pg/mL
    --------------
    Progesterone: (18 to 28) ng/mL (pre-menopause);

2 to 6 ng/mL, but even up to 15 for some women, especially if they are treated with higher doses of estrogen replacement (menopause & post-menopause)
    --------------
    Total testosterone: 35-45ng/dL
    Freetestosterone: 1 – 2.2 pg/mL

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ================================================== ===========
    Summarizing
    on day 11 you have
    Testosterone =23ng/dL (12-78) either good or should be increased (do not hurry, you should get some from DHEA supplementation
    Oestradiol =44.9pg/mL
    Progesterone =0.3 ng/mL-----you want at least men's levels (1.4), often little more
    DHEA-sulphate 2.3 umol/L----I have a problem convertig units, still assume you want your value at high end

-----------------------------------------------------

You should get your pregnenolone tested, I am sure that it will be very low.

You would then concentrate on correcting your hormones on day 3-4 first.
    You would attempt making best use out of
    pregnenolone
    DHEA
    7ketoDHEA
    and
    delay doctors attempts to use progesterone.

I am not a doctor.
    I am a men who started with non-detectable levels of pregnenolone and progesterone.
    I know that it is possible to raise progesterone using pregnenolone pills.
    You getting the benefit of
    more natural hormone distribution
    not worrying about what day of menstrual cycle you are on. The dosing is steady for all days in the cycle.

I use
    Nutricology/ Allergy Research Group Pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix 150 mg Micronized Lipid Matrix 60

and DHEA and 7ketoDHEA pills from lef.org

There is few more details, if interested we can discuss it latter.

I placed this post also here:
    so I and you could find it easier;

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post679482

///

////
    Last edited by JanSz; 01-12-2012 at 11:09 AM.

IrishAussie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JanSz View Post
    Vitamin B12 591 pmol/L=800pg/mL --->supplement, aim for slightly over 1000
    RBC Folate 1546 nmol/L(1060-2850) ----->>supplement with folic acid, in case that does not help, use FolaPro from Metagenics
    Glucose Fasting 5.5 mmol/L=99mg/dL ------->check fasting insulin

Testosterone 0.8 nmol/L (.4-2.7)=23ng/dL (12- 78) Testosterone ng/dl 0.0347 nmol/l
    FSH 6.5 IU/L (2.5-10)
    LH 4.9 IU/L (<15)
    Oestradiol 165 pmol/L (70-530)= 44.9 pg/mL (19-45) Estradiol pg/ml 3.671 pmol/l
    Progesterone 0.8 nmol/L (<5)=0.3 ng/mL (1.6 ) Progesterone ng/ml 3.18 nmol/l

When you take together all major steroid hormones, in the serum, by weght, and call it 100%
    DHEAs part takes 95%
    DHEAs is very important
    your DHEAs is low
    Everybody's DHEAs (and most other hormones are going down as we age)
    therefore laboratory ranges account for age (to make you feel better)
    that is cheating
    you want hormones as young 20yo healthy girl have
    you want
    DHEAsWomen (275-400) μg/dL

read more about it here:
    DHEA Restoration Therapy Hormone Replacement Therapy
    DHEA Restoration Therapy - Hormone Replacement Therapy, DHEA, 7-Keto - Life Extension Health Concern

while you are at it, read:
    Homocysteine Reduction
    Homocysteine Reduction - Homocysteine, Homocysteine Levels - Life Extension Health Concern
    Female Hormone Restoration
    Female Hormone Restoration: Online References For Health Concerns

Data From above reference:
    note that they do not talk much about preg/E balance
    and specially
    that you can get progesterone when you make sure that you have pregnenolone (first)

Hormone Optimal Range
    DHEA-s: 250-380 g/dL
    --------------
    Total estrogen:
    Day (01 – 10)----------------- (61 – 394) pg/mL
    Day (11 – 20)----------------- (122 – 437) pg/mL
    Day (21 – 30)----------------- (156 – 350) pg/mL

Menopause & post-menopause: (75 – 200) pg/mL
    -------------
    Estradiol: Lowest dose to ameliorate symptoms: 30-50 pg/mL

Typical replacement such as with a BiEst cream/gel: 80-100 pg/mL

Higher end replacement/ restoration of menstrual cycle: 90-250pg/mL
    --------------
    Progesterone: (18 to 28) ng/mL (pre-menopause);

2 to 6 ng/mL, but even up to 15 for some women, especially if they are treated with higher doses of estrogen replacement (menopause & post-menopause)
    --------------
    Total testosterone: 35-45ng/dL
    Freetestosterone: 1 – 2.2 pg/mL

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ================================================== ===========
    Summarizing
    on day 11 you have
    Testosterone =23ng/dL (12-78) either good or should be increased (do not hurry, you should get some from DHEA supplementation
    Oestradiol =44.9pg/mL
    Progesterone =0.3 ng/mL-----you want at least men's levels (1.4), often little more

-----------------------------------------------------

You should get your pregnenolone tested, I am sure that it will be very low.

You would then concentrate on correcting your hormones on day 3-4 first.
    You would attempt making best use out of
    pregnenolone
    DHEA
    7ketoDHEA
    and
    delay doctors attempts to use progesterone.

I am not a doctor.
    I am a men who started with non-detectable levels of pregnenolone and progesterone.
    I know that it is possible to raise progesterone using pregnenolone pills.
    You getting the benefit of
    more natural hormone distribution
    not worrying about what day of menstrual cycle you are on. The dosing is steady for all days in the cycle.

I use
    Nutricology/ Allergy Research Group Pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix 150 mg Micronized Lipid Matrix 60

and DHEA and 7ketoDHEA pills from lef.org

There is few more details, if interested we can discuss it latter.

I placed this post also here:
    so I and you could find it easier;

///

////
    Hi JanSz,
    Truly insightful, thanks very much. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.
    TSH .50 mIU/L (0.35-5.50)mIU/L----------->are you supplementing with thyroid hormones? No I am not. I seriously wouldn't have even done this test if it wasn't for Dr Kruse's advice. I have never had any blood tests, except the ones I had when pregnant, and didn't expect to see any oddities in my results. Since I have been reading the Reset Thread I had a little knowledge about the results so when the doctor gave them to me so I was able to question them. She said my hormone levels were perfectly fine for a woman my age and there was no way I would get any hormone replacement therapy but because of positive auto-antibodies noted she is sending me to an Endocrinology.
    I will read everything you have listed here for me, thank you again. Do you thing I have hashimoto's? Or are my hormones just too low? Is it pre-menopause?

DHEA and 7ketoDHEA pills - can't get this in Australia. Maybe when I get an agreeable doctor they will be able to get it for me?
    Nutricology/ Allergy Research Group Pregnenolone Micronized Lipid Matrix 150 mg Micronized Lipid Matrix 60 -Is this on prescription? Okay I see this is OTC supplement. How do you decide how much to take? Or is this up to my 'to be found' doctor?
    Okay, I am off to study all the links
    Last edited by IrishAussie; 01-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.

IrishAussie is offline Junior Member
    Since JanSz started this thread for me I figure I might as well use it.
    Today is 4 weeks on the Dr Kruse's reset. I am not feeling any better. In fact I think my few issues and lack of energy have gotten worse or maybe all this reading about symptoms is making me think more about how I am feeling? I have had a headache for 4 days now. It is the type I get when TOTM is due but it's not due now. It is pissing me off!!
    Today I got up when I woke, something I still don't like to do, and went down to get my BAB. My BAB is always the same, a huge egg and leftover meat omelette, easily 50g of protein plus a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. I also have a black coffee. I used to drink upwards of 15 coffees a day(to suppress my appetite) but have reduced to 2 and will cut it out, soon! I am only now able to eat the BAB. It has taken me weeks to get to this level. Don't get me wrong. I am a girl with a huge appetite but not in the morning. I have, over many many years, skiped breakfast to 'save' the calories for later. How wrong was that thinking??!! I still find the BAB difficult to eat and have to force it down. I still need lunch but the amount is reducing and I always have dinner. I am keeping carbs low and fat high. I seem to have no issue with large amounts of coconut oil and find it helps my cravings. I have been wheat free for about a year but have had the odd bowl of porridge. I haven't had any porridge in 3 months but I still crave it. There was a time in my early twenties that I only eat porridge. It went on for a year. I was addicted!
    It is summer here in Australia so getting the early morning sunshine is usually easy. The last couple of days have been overcast and I am missing my sun. This is the thing I have taken to with zealous. I was sun shy all my life and kept my fair Irish skin pure white. When I got into the Primal Blueprint that all changed but it was sporadic. Over the last 4 weeks I have usually managed to get out in the sun early and I love it. I don't think I will like the winter

Books I am reading. (Got to love the kindle)
    Ageless: The Naked Truth About Bioidentical Hormones by Suzanne Somers
    Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? When My Lab Tests Are Normal: A Revolutionary Breakthrough In Understanding Hashimoto's Disease and Hypothyroidism by Datis Kharrazian
    Last edited by IrishAussie; 01-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.

JanSz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post710642

Quote Originally Posted by IrishAussie View Post
    An update.
    I got a new doctor. He prescribed desiccated thyroid,130mg, And DHEA 25mg. One of each a day.
    I was on them for two weeks before I did these tests. Anyone care to have a look?

Salivary Hormone Test Results Day 21

Oestrone (E1). **********8pmol/L. **Reference range (2-9)
    Oestrone (E1). *************73%
    oestradiol (E2). *********2pmol/L. ***Reference range (2-10)
    Oestradiol (E2). **********18%
    Oestriol (E3). ***************<1. *************Reference range (<112)
    Oestriol (E3). **************9%
    E3/ (E1+E2). **************0.1 ***********Reference range ( >1.0)
    Progesterone (P4). ******746. ******Reference range (315-1058)
    P4:E2. *************************373. ********Reference range (200-300:1)
    Testosterone ***************216. ********Reference range (24-137)
    DHEA-S **********************8.1. **********Reference range (0.7-8.7)

Cortisol
    7am **************14 Target range (25)
    Midday. **********6 Target range (15)
    6pm *************<5 Target range (5-10)
    10pm. ***********<5 Target range (<5)

Serum test day 12 Two weeks on DHEA Saliva test Day 21
    DHEA 2.3(1.8-7.8). Umol/L ------------------ 8.1(0.7-8.7) nmol/L.
    Oestradiol(e2). 165(70-530). Pmol/L ------------------ 2(2-10) pmol/L
    Progesterone. 0.8(<5) nmol/L. ------------------ 746(315-1058)pmol/L
    Testosterone. 0.8(0.4-2.7)nmol/L. ------------------ 216(24-137)pmol/L

How to I convert the measurements so I can compare them?
    Previously you posted
    Free T4 17.4 pmol/L (9.0-25.0) pmol/L
    TSH .50 mIU/L (0.35-5.50)mIU/L
    free T3 4.5 pmol/L (3.5-6.5)pmol/L
    Thyroglobulin antibodies 155 U/ml (<60)
    Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies 83 U/ml (<60)
    Says "Euthyroid levels. Positive auto-antibodies noted."
    Your TSH=0.5
    and your doctor added desiccated thyroid,130mg

Am I missing something.
    -------------------

It is going to be hard comparing saliva results to serum.
    It would help consistent program.

Since you have thyroid antibodies,
    good move would be to stop eating any and all, grains.