Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: primal journal - smokedsalmon page 2

smokedsalmon is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ah, Sunday...I have the entire day off! No work! YES!! And I jumped on the scale this morning, just to see if my suspicions about losing weight were correct...they were! Down to 208.8! Cool! Now, that loss of 2.4 pounds may not seem like a whole lot in 10 days, but I'll take it. That means I'm down 6.4 pounds for the month. Rad. Goal for January 31: 205.2. That will be a loss of 6 pounds since starting this journal, and 10 pounds for the month of January.

Today I plan on an IF til Sunday dinner with my better half. Really looking forward to that. What to make, what to make...I have some oxtails in the fridge...could make a soup or stew. I'll check out some recipes on this here internet. If nothing strikes my fancy, I'm pretty good at improvising in the kitchen. Any suggestions?

Also: I had a dream last night about weight loss. In the dream, I was at some alternate version of my job, and we were having a weight-loss challenge. Of course they weighed us all to start, and then put everyone's weight up on a chalkboard! And there I was, right at the top, with a starting weight of 303 pounds?? "Um, you guys are like 100 pounds off," I said, and tried to correct the starting weight. But I couldn't erase it...it was written in some kind of indelible chalk. What does it all mean, hahaha...

Really fun night out with the bf for date night last night. We tried to go to a local Italian chain for dinner, but the line was way long. So then we went to a sports bar, but it was way loud. So we went to stupid old Chili's. I had a little cheat with the chips and salsa and artichoke dip, plus ranch dressing for my wings. But no beer, no diet coke! Yay! We watched the 49ers play the Giants and had a really nice conversation.

Brunch today: scrambled eggs with shrimp, onion, zucchini, and kalamata olives.

Busy day today--work pretty much all day, and I have to attend a presentation this evening. It's not a bad thing, just eating into my day today. Eh. Busy day tomorrow too. Time to get to it, I guess!

Home for lunch. Made a "meatza" for the first time. The verdict? Eh. It was fine. But really. Pizza is way better. I wasn't even craving pizza, just looking for a different thing to cook up for lunch. However, I can see why people say it's important not to "paleo-ify" things...they just aren't as satisfying. Oh sure, I'm satiated from lunch, but I feel like all I did was eat flat meatloaf. And that's kind of dumb.

Worked from 7:30-10:00 this morning, and I have another hour left on my break. Then, I work from 1:30-8. Gross.

Still got my eye on a 10 lb. loss for January!

Friday! Yay! Today I have some errands in the morning, work in the afternoon, and then I'm headed out of town for the weekend (for work, not fun). And then back on Sunday just in time for...more work. Yuck. Yesterday I had sushi for lunch (some rice, but not a lot). And chicken with an avocado salad for dinner. Was pretty tasty.

Feeling pretty great--now that the mid-month bloating is past, all the pants are looser. Excellent. Back at the bf's and there is no scale here, so I don't know precisely what the # is this morning. But if I can get to 205.2 by the end of the month, that will be so awesome!

Going to discover some breakfast. Then off on my day!

Wow, a week away from this! I was out of town for work last weekend, then left my computer at the bf's place for a few days...it was really, really relaxing to be away from the computer.

This may be my only update until next week, as I have a crapload of important stuff to do at school next week...the comprehensive exam for my doctoral degree is next week!! So I'll be on the computer, but studying :/

So I didn't meet my weight goal for the month of Jan...but that's okay. It's just a number. I certainly look better than I did when I started up this journal! I'll have to put an update picture or something, as soon as I can figure out how to do that.

Goal for February: break 200??? Holy crap...I haven't been under 200 pounds in...years...

And I know that primal isn't just a weight loss thing...I know it. But holy crap to see a 1 in front of my weight would be so amazing.

Dinner tonight: grass-fed burger served with tomato, sweet onion, quick pickles, and wrapped in iceberg lettuce. Served with a side of French fries. Looking forward to it!!

Glad to see the forum is up and running again

Yesterday I completed a pretty significant milestone in my degree program. Last week I had my written comprehensive exam, and yesterday I completed the oral comprehensive exam!! It's funny, reading back over my posts, they're all regularly written until I started getting stressed about the exam. And I can tell you during that stress time I was really struggling--I would drink beer, get carry-out food (that I convinced myself would be okay, but who knows what kind of oils, etc they were using??) and did not get outside to move around AT ALL.

When I get super stressed, I tend to get really lazy in everything but what I need to work on. So while I was studying for the exam, I ignored EVERYTHING else...but I really can't ignore my own health anymore.

This morning, on the way home from the bf's, I stopped off to pick up breakfast. I thought, Oh man, I really shouldn't do this. But I did anyway. Mexican breakfast--amazing. And then I got home and sat down to catch up on emails, MDA, etc., and there was that article from yesterday about how we go against our better judgement. I think I was having a salt craving. I don't really have a sweet tooth, but I do have a salty one. And so getting a salty breakfast was probably my instinctual solution. The way I talked myself into the breakfast was by telling myself it was a celebration of my test completion. And now I'm thinking...Why am I rewarding myself with food? I'm not a dog.

Today I'm going to be a homebody: cleaning, roasting peppers, preparing food for the weekend Despite my less-than-perfect breakfast this morning, I'm still content. I'm really happy with life! I love the feeling that (generally) eating clean gives me! This breakfast won't thwart me, nor will stress or salt cravings!

PS, I don't know if anyone actually reads this (probably not) but if you're an NPR listener, there was an interesting conversation about gluten-free eating on the Diane Rehm Show this morning. None of the speakers was coming from the Paleo viewpoint, but one of them did say some really good things. "Put things on your plate that you recognize, things with one ingredient," she said. "Meats, fruits, and vegetables." Sounds like a good plan.

Okay so I am having a semi "productive" day so far...I am letting my mind and body relax and looking at Pinterest. I've had a Pinterest account for months but have never actually pinned anything until today--I don't fully understand it yet, but so far I've found a recipe I want to try and several paleo boards to look at! Tonight, I may just try making a paleo mug cake with coconut milk whipped cream.

PrimalCon New York
    Alright! My first day off in...a couple of weeks! Yay! The day so far: brunch w/ friends (huevos rancheros, some rice, a couple bites of a tortilla, iced tea), work on the dissertation, and a snack. The snack was the hard part, as I'm staying at my (non paleo) bf's house and there's nothing here I can eat. Also, he has the car so I can't go get anything! So I had a nonfat Chobani yogurt that had "evaporated cane juice" in it...not ideal, but not a huge sin either.

I did end up making that paleo mug cake the other day! It was pretty good, but I think it could be improved...the almond butter was pretty thick and when I cut into the cake there was a big lump of it in there, haha! The cake was a little too dense, I think due to the fact that I put in too much cocoa and too much almond butter. I liked the lack of sweetness, and enjoyed the richness of the cake. I had it with coconut milk whipped cream. This would make an excellent dessert with the addition of fresh berries. And shredded coconut!

Okay--so Lent is right around the corner. I don't normally give something up because I'm not Catholic or Lutheran or whatever other groups do Lent. But I would like to make a point of 40 straight days of clean eating (no cheats!). So I am giving up entirely: wheat, added sugar, and dairy for Lent. I pretty much abstain from these things anyway, but this will mean: no cheats!! So I guess I'm giving up cheats for Lent, haha!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast