Thoughts and Feelings on my return to Primal eating

Primal Fuel
    Stats as of today
    5'2"
    152.8 lbs (WAS 156.4 a few days ago)

Strength
    Benchpress 125x2
    Deadlift 225x2
    Squat 135x10 (haven't tried for max in a few weeks)
    Pull-Ups BWx7

It's day two of my return to primal eating. I'm feeling good and have already lost 3.6 pounds.
    Hindsight is 20/20 and I feel that this lifestyle worked the best for me. I follow leangains as well, but don't train fasted and have a smaller fasting window.
    I lift heavy in a reverse pyramid style and center my workouts around the squat, bench, and deadlift. I do light cardio after my workouts either intervals on the treadmill or recumbent bike. I also try to get to the trails at least once a week, I love trail running in my VFF's. I'm a short girl at 5'2" and I'm still trying to figure out what calories work best for me. I'm trying to keep my calories under 1,300 while keeping protein and veg/greens intake high.
    I have already lost 3.6 pounds which I assume is some of the water I have been retaining from eating higher carb. I have been peeing a LOT with high volume each time which did not happen much on the higher carb diet. I drink close to a half-gallon a day of water almost every day. I definitely notice these subtle changes.
    I feel so much slimmer than two days ago...geez. I don't feel bloated at all. Really surprised at how much I have dropped or how much water I have been retaining...

I hope to increase my calories before I plateau and try out refeeds so that I can break past that 136lb wall that I hit last time (and I wasn't even weight training then, just trail running)

pic of me bouldering in CO 148lbs :
    Attached Images Attached Images

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hey LF- welcome back to where you belong!

A few things I noticed is the calorie focus. If you're eating what your supposed to why are you concerned with the amount of calories. If you eat a huge meal packed with the good fat/protein this will keep you satiated longer and allow you to increase your IF like Martin's protocol. Just a suggestion to munch on- haha pun intended!

Also- not sure if you need to drink that much water. I noticed that you drink a lot less water, keeping the carbs under 50g a day. Maybe try reducing the amount and see if the breaks decrease.

Seems like your one motivated woman- so keep that fire alive!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Little_Fish is offline Member
    Thanks elco! I guess I forgot to mention that my body really responded negatively to the 16 hour window. I started experiencing extremely bad PMS and it was happening consecutively, month to month. I used to train fasted and I liked it, but I don't any longer because I can't fast until 4pm which is when I work out. I eat breakfast at around 10am instead of 12-1pm and so far, my body seems comfortable with that. I would like to reduce my water intake to only when I'm thirsty because I just get tired of waking up to pee at night. I have been skimming through the PB book trying to refresh my memory on some principles. I also keep up with the Leangains page, read and re-read articles. It's great information and I like the no bullshit approach to fitness and weight training.

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Oh gotcha- when fasted did you take the Branch Chained Amino's Martin recommends when lifting fasted? Just checkin...

Here's what Mark says about water intake

I like Martin's no bs attitude as well. I take bits and pieces from everyone and even come up with what works for my body to form my own mini plan. Sounds like you know exactly how your body responds to certain techniques which is more VALUABLE- great job so far!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Yes, I used Xtend before, and during workouts. Yeah, it's all about figuring out what works for your body. It's hard! - and it takes a lot of patience.

Update : I seem to have hit some kind of wall or something. I am on my second week now and the wall I'm talking about has me feeling extremely tired today. I trained legs yesterday and I am sore, but this usually does not make me feel this bad. It's not caffeine withdrawal because I have been doing the same mixing decaf and regular for 2.5 weeks. It could possibly be a hormonal change. I have no idea! I'm literally dragging today!
    On a side note, my caloric defecit has not held me back in the gym.
    I am still gaining strength and hope to set a new PR tomorrow for bench press.
    135x1!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1/25/12 - New weight of 151.4

Still losing weight. This is my first day of decaf only coffee and I hope things go well. Getting off of coffee is no easy task, the withdrawals are no fun.
    On the 18th I reached my goal of 135x1 on the bench. It was really tough and I thought the bar wasn't going to go back up, but it did.

Decided to post a photo of my breakfast. Eggs, Garden Gourmet Salsa, bacon, and avocado!
    Attached Images Attached Images