ToTheSun is offline Junior Member

Primal Journey (ToTheSun)

Thought for today (and everyday), courtesy of the band Gorillaz:

So pick yourself up, it's a brand new day
    So turn yourself round
    Don't burn yourself, turn yourself
    Turn yourself around
    To the sun.

That's my challenge. To pick myself up and start taking care of my body. Not to burn myself by making excuses. To turn myself to the sun of health and energy and happiness.

Friday January 13

Convenience! What a loaded word. I am accustomed to eating what is ready to eat NOW, be it fast food or things like power bars and cereal. To have to plan ahead, cook, package my food... how inconvenient it seems. When did convenience become my goal? I've had loftier goals, and achieved them, than convenience. But now I'm middle-aged and tired and fat, and convenience is a part of the reason why. Time to put some thought and energy into my meals and into my life.
    Last edited by ToTheSun; 01-13-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Lost my internet for a few days. I've been busy lifting heavy things (furniture and dirt) and mostly sticking to the eating plan. I find that I really crave something sweet when I get home from work and have fallen into the pitfall of chowing down on too many protein bars to satisfy the urge. Also had one episode of extreme stress which resulted in me eating a rather large bowl of granola, carbs being my go-to solution when stress hits. It was an interesting if painful detour - I ended up with a whale of a stomachache that lasted through the night into the next morning. Ow ow ow. Not the usual reaction at all. So much for that panacea.

"Think about some of the problems of our daily lives, and how many of them would be eased if we could learn to sit alone, in a quiet empty room, with contentment.

If you’re content to sit alone quietly, you don’t need to eat junk food, to shop on impulse, to buy the latest gadget, to be on social media to see what everyone else is talking about or doing, to compare yourself to others, to make more money to keep up with the Joneses, to achieve glory or power, to conquer other lands or wage war, to be rude or violent to others, to be selfish or greedy, to be constantly busy or productive.
    You are content, and need nothing else. It solves a lot of problems." :zenhabits

Went grocery shopping and when I came home re-organized my fridge to look like this

All salad items and fruits are on the top shelf in containers I can pull out to make a salad. I've put side dish or snack veggies in the bottom left crisper drawer, water on the right, yogurt and eggs above that and voila! The healthiest things are now the easiest to get to. And, inspired by my shopping and organizing I actually cooked breakfast! I put onion, asparagus, spinach, shrooms and roasted red pepper in a pan with some butter and cooked it til the shrooms and spinach wilted a bit. I then added ten beaten eggs and cooked it til it was almost done, then finished it under the broiler.

There was only one slight problem. See that blob of red on the spoon rest? I had the brilliant idea to use a mandoline to slice the onions right into the pan, but since my utensil drawer looks like this

I couldn't find the finger protector and consequently sliced a bit of my thumb into the pan as well

When I eat primal:
    I have a ton of energy
    I need less sleep
    I get an amazing amount of things done
    I lose weight

When I don't:
    I'm depressed
    I'm lethargic

So why am I having trouble sticking with the plan? Because, even though I feel better emotionally, the food doesn't satisfy me emotionally and I've used carbs and sweets as a drug since I can remember. I know what to eat and I like working out, so my last and largest hurdle is finding a different way to relax or make myself feel better. Anyone else struggling with this?

Boopy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I struggle with that issue all the time. I have used junk food as entertainment, as comfort, as a de-stresser, etc., for as long as I can remember. I have a hard time redirecting all those needs to something else. Low-carb food, no matter how good it tastes, just doesn't work in the place of junk food for whatever reason.

My husband, ever helpful, suggested redirecting all that energy to sex. But seriously, I can make a bag of Fritos last waaay longer than sex. It's no contest.

I hope your thumb has healed! Please come organize my fridge when you have time!
    44 year-old chick, 5'8"-ish, 2/6/12 Start Weight: 189.2
    My boopy stuff: MDA journal | Daily Plate