Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Becs mission to clear skin journal page 2

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    AVIOD SOY AND DAIRY! I'm 30 and dealt daily with those hormone chin cysts. Painful and scarring. It was my OB/Gyn that told me to get off of the soy and dairy in 2010 and I also gound out that gluten played a part. Soy and dairy mess with your hormones big time. My skin has been almost flawless since giving up soy and dairy (I was a vegetarian who ate mostly Asian and Mediterranean style dishes). I went Primal, but my skin was still sorting itself out for the first month. Any other oils, except grapeseed oil, made my acne worse. All other makeup, except Bismuth-free, talc-free mineral makeup broke me out. I now use a Cetaphil cleanser and scrub once a week with a baby-brush, warm water and a baking-soda/Cetaphil mixture. Everyone has different skin, but this has worked wonders for me.
    So, my routine:
    Cleanse with Cetaphil
    Moisturize day and night with a dab of grapeseed oil
    Scrub with water-softened baby-brush and cetaphil/baking soda mixture
    Use mineral make-up free of Bismuth and talc.
    Avoid soy and dairy.

bec
    bec is offline Junior Member
    @rasputina Thanks for your comment. I haven't touched soy or dairy in months and I can't say I miss it at all. When i used to drink milk I would notice more breakouts particularly large ones on my chin. Your skin routine sounds good. I used cetaphil for a while and thought it was quite good, but I am trying to stick to as natural as possible products and unfortunately looking at the ingredients in Cetaphil it isn't really that natural Thanks again for your support, I really appreciate it

bec

13/01/2012- Journal entry

Last night I woke up at 1am to go to the loo and when I returned to bed I couldn't get back to sleep because the right side of my chin hurt so bad and all I wanted to do was itch at it (but I resisted). I got up and put on some manuka honey to the spot that was causing the pain and although it did not realy relieve the pain, the spot had come to a head in the morning. That manuka is good for that! I try not to squeeze my pimples but they inevitably squeeze themselves! Anyway I read my book for a bit and managed to fall back into a fitful sleep. I have never had problems with sleep and a big sore pimple have never kept me from sleeping My chin area has been so bad this last week, it is so depressing. But I must 'stay calm and keep moving forward' (haha I saw that printed on someones shirt today and thought it was very wise words)
    Last night before bed I had some pretty foul smelling gas, but this morning I got straight up out of bed and had a BM straight away. This is good for me, because I usually have to sit on the toilet for about haf and hour and drink a litre of water before anything will happen.
    So I had a bit of a cheat today, but only because it was impossible not too. We were out shopping and starving. I have to eat when I get hungry because I don't want to go into ketosis. I am way too skinny as it is, in fact my husband hates how skinny I am looking and I hate how all the clothes that used to be tight on me now are falling off. But because I try to be so restrictive with my diet because of my skin it is inevitable that I'm not going to put on weight. Any suggestions on putting on weight and still getting clear skin would be greatly appreciated?? Anyway back to what I was saying, we were starving and there was literally nowhere we were I could eat just some meat and veg. We live in Asia so most meals come with rice especially as we were in Little India area in Singapore. So I ended up getting some chicken and rice that had a bit of lettuce. It was good and the rice certainly satisfied me. I didn't experience any crazy stomach problems at all thank god! But about 3 hours later, hunger! Just like they say with 'bad' carbs! Oh well, I will not feel guilty about it, because I could have cheated a lot worse, I don't think rice is really that bad of a cheat.
    Today I have also cut down my water intake. I was drinking way too much water, like about 4 litres a day and literally having to pee all the time. I have been doing some reading into how drinking too much water may not be a good thing. Drinking loads never seem to have any major benefits on clearing my skin, so I am just drinking it when I feel thirsty.
    I also forgot to take my fish oil supp at lunch time and this afternoon I haven't had any gas like I usually do, could this be related? There are some things on the net about fish oil capsules causing flatulence....
    Ok so here are my meals:
    Hot Lemon Water
    B: Grass fed ribeye steak with pumpkin & cauliflower mash- Zinc 50mg and Probitotics
    L: Chicken & rice with lettuce
    Snack: Pumpkin & cauliflower mash
    D: Cauliflower rice w/ stirfried onion, garlic, mushrooms, broccoli, bone broth and beef.

Anyway after dinner my husband was complaining how we never go out and he wanted to go down the road to have a beer. He is very non paleo and likes his beer. So being the good wife I am I went with him, even though I don't drink and I'm kinda prefer staying home and watchin tv (I'm truly a boring 24yrold). We ended up stumbling upon a celebration for Chinese New year (which is huge here in Singapore) and my husband was given free beer and we were given free pistachios and some little fruit (no idea what it was, but it looked like lychee but kinda tasted citrusy). So I had a few pistachios and some fruit. I haven't touched nuts or fruit in like 2 months, so I really have had a major cheat day today. Pretty funny I started this journal yesterday and I am usually so ridiculous strict and today I cheated loads! At least I didn't cheat with cake and chips though!! I will feel no guilt. Meanwhile I have had no digestive issues today even after the nuts and fruit.
    Lets see if we can do better tomorrow ey!

bec

Thoughts

Well, I really am liking this journal thing. I think it is great to write down everything I am thinking. I know I could just write in an actual journal but everytime I try that I never stick to it, so hopefully I stick to this.
    So I was/am still really upset about my skin. I had about 2 new pustules on my chin this morning, plus some ones that have been there for days. I am so desperate for some answers or help, I have booked an appointment with a dermatologist for Monday. I have never been to a derm before. I have been to numerous doctors who have prescribed me countless antibiotics or BCPs, I have been to a naturopath but at the time could not afford to keep going, I have been to an esthetician which helped for a bit but I was not eating healthily at the time, I have been to acupuncture and taken traditional chinese medicine but to no avail. I have probably spent $1000's on my skin, whether it be skin care products, treatments, medicine etc. and nothing has ever worked for me. Perhaps I am just to fickle and too impatient and move onto the next thing too quickly. I don't know, but I know my diet changes will be for good, because they make sense to me health wise.
    Anyway I am going to tell the derm up front that I do not want any antibiotics or medicine. I am hoping she might be able to figure out the cause. I do not want to spend a load of money on skin care products again which I have done so many times in the past. I would consider chemical peels, because I had one last year and it made my skin really clear even if it was only for a week or two. I probably can't really afford to be spending more money on my skin but this is how much I care about it.
    In the end I can already see into the future, a couple of months down the track, I will be writing about how going to the derm didn't work and I'll be looking to try the next best thing. I know I sound negative and I hope I am wrong, I am hoping the difference between this time and all the other times I have been to professionals for my skin, is that I am eating a really clean diet and together with eating paleo and doing superficial treatments will truly help. I really really hope so.

Anyway, I'll update again tonight on what I am today and the particulars.

bec

14/01/2012- Journal entry

So here's what I ate today:
    Hot Lemon Water
    B- Halibut with roast pumpkin, roast cauliflower & boiled broccoli- Zinc 50mg, Probiotics (half hour after meal)
    L- 2x homemade beef burgers, with roast pumpkin, lettuce, cucumber & sauteed zucchini- Vitamin C supp
    D- Grilled Chicken breast with mashed pumpkin & cauliflower, steamed broccoli & cabbage

Still skipped the fish oil and had no bad gas. BM this morning was ok & quick but didn't feel empty after. This afternoon I have been feeling incredibly depressed about my skin, I just can't believe how bad my chin is & loads of pustular type acne. I refuse to go out because I am so embarrassed and I hate that something so trivial & vain can make me this upset, but it does. I cry a lot about it. Luckily I have a wonderful supportive husband who holds my hand and listens to my woes. He is the best. Tonight I added a bit of baking soda to the manuka honey and did a little exfoliant and then after I rinsed that off applied jojoba. Also iced my chin a bit to help calm it.

I am going to try and stay off the net so much researching endless things about acne and diet, because it is very bad for my mental state. If I believed everything on the net, everything I eat could be causing my acne and I become orthorexic!

Now going to chill out & watch some big bang theory with my husband. Night from Singapore!

bec

15/01/2011 Journal entry

I just started doing some temp work and I decided to give my brain a break by writing on here. So I woke up and my chin is still shit, obviously it is not going to change over night, but it does not look to be getting any better. Just a lot of tiny little pustules and I just can't understand why I get these. I am looking forward to seeing what the derm has to say tomorrow, although I am sure the first thing she will offer me is antibiotics. I am definitely not going on any drugs, not while I am trying to heal the damage years of BCP and countless antibiotics have done to my system. I really hope she can offer me another solution, maybe chemical peels or even get some blood work done to see if there is any underlying cause. This will be the first time going to a doctor in Singapore and the first time going to a dermatologist. I know most docs in Australia just want to write prescriptions, I hope things are different here and different because she is a dermatologist so she has a bit of a better understanding of what actually effects the skin.
    I've come to realise that my diet has taken over my life too much, even my husband says I let it rule over me. I am sick of being worried if i eat this is my skin going to break out and then feeling guilt about it. I am not talking about junk food because I never eat junk, I am talking about things like carrots or fruits or nuts or so called healthy foods, I freak out, just because I read on the net somewhere that one person broke out from eating it, that it could be the cause of my acne. It is so obviously not, because everyone is completely different. Because of my obsession with food and my diet, my weight is low, I haven't actually been on a scale, because I do not own one but I would be scared to see what it said. Last time I weighed myself I was 55kg, but I think I would be close to 50kg now, which is so low for me. All my clothes are too loose. My bras are too small, you can see my spine and ribs through my skin. I have always been skinny, but I am now unhealthily skinny, and I am eating healthy than ever, funny that!
    So today I had about a quarter cup of basmati rice extra with my lunch, even though it is so not Paleo, I think it is still a safe carb to try and help me gain a bit of weight and I have been having big portions and adding plenty of ghee for fat. Hopefully it will help me put on weight without breaking me out.
    Here's what I ate today (i haven't had dinner yet but I know what I am cooking)
    Hot Lemon Water
    B- Homemade beef burger wrapped in lettuce, cucumber and sauteed zucchini- ZINC 50mg, Probiotics 30 mins after
    L- White Snapper, mashed pumpkin & cauliflower, quarter cup of basmati rice and broccoli
    D- Grass fed rib eye with salad. Vit C supp

Today, I couldn't do a BM. I didn't have any bone broth yesterday not sure if it is associated to that, but I have made some today so I will have a cup today and hopefully get things moving tomorrow. My digestive enzymes supps should arrive tomorrow, so I will start taking them and hopefully see a change in my BM and hopefully if my gut health is related to my skin, we will see a change in my skin, but I am not pinning my hopes to it.
    My goals for this week are to try and stay positive, get my work done and hopefully the week will go by fairly fast. We are waiting to move into our new apartment over here at the start of next month, so I want time to go fast so we can move in already. We are living with a flat mate and it has been 2 and half years since we have lived by ourselves and we have been married 5 years!!

So anyway I just read this out to my husband and burst into tears, way too emotional lately. haha Be back tomorrow to report on what the derm has to say!

bec

16/01/2012- Journal Entry

So I went to the dermatologist today, had a bit of a cry with her, but she was such a lovely lady. I made it clear I didn't want to be on antibiotics and so she gave me a cleanser by La Roche Posay and a topical antibiotic cream called clindmycine to spot treat. She said just to keep it simple, no moisterisers or anything else, just cleanse and apply the topical to the spots. I am going back to see her in two weeks and she said if I come back and have any really large nodules she can inject them with some steroid to help flatten them (not too sure if I want that, so hopefully there won't be any big ones). I used the cleanser tonight and its quite nice, a little goes a long way and it didnt make my skin feel too tight or dry after wards. There are hardly any ingredients in it which is a good thing and it has some good online reviews. I just used a tiny bit of the topical, I am still a little hesitant as it is still an antibiotic, but I suppose its better than actually ingesting antibiotics.
    At lunch time I received my Now Foods Super Enzymes, so I started taking them, one at lunch, one at dinner. I will keep taking one with each meal at first and see if I feel the warm feeling that Robb Wolf talks about,if not then I will increase the dosage. I am hoping it will help with my BM. This morning I was a bit constipated, but I managed to go before lunch but didn't feel completely empty.
    So i hope the enzymes can help heal the inside while the dermatologist is helping heal the outside.
    Heres my meals:
    B- Little bit of beef, mashed pumpkin & cauliflower, steamed broccoli (ZINC 50mg)
    L- Oven baked potato, oven baked mackeral and salad (Super Enzymes)
    D- Roast Pork, roast pumpkin, carrot, cauliflower, boiled broccoli and cabbage (Super Enzymes) (Probiotics 30mins after)

I had potato today for the first time in a while, trying to get a bit more carbs, but need to watch it because they do have a high GI. Still I don't want to worry too much about what I am eating as I have mentioned in other posts, I don't want to become orthorexic!

bec

17/01/2012- Journal entry

So far so good with my skin. I can already see a bit of an improvement and it looks like it is healing. Fingers crossed it keeps getting better. My skin just feels less irritated and the cleanser seems to balance it so it doesnt feel too oily or dry. I was just using manuka honey before and obviously it wasn't doing anything to actually clean my skin. I couldn't do a BM this morning but managed to do one before lunch, but it still wasn't as good as I think it should be. Still taking my enzymes one with each meal but they might take a while to kick in. By adding more carbs into my diet, I feel like I have way more energy than before. Before when I was completely low carbing it, I got so tired and even when I was walking somewhere my legs muscles just started hurting like I had been walking miles.
    Anyway meals for today:

B- Leftover roast pork, with steamed carrots, broccoli, cabbage & bok choy (Super enzymes, probiotics half hour after)
    L- Pangusius fish grilled, with roast pumpkin salad. (super enzymes and then ZINC)
    D- Sirloin steak with mash pumpkin, steamed carrot, broccoli and cauliflower (super enzymes)

Hope my skin is looking better tomorrow because I need to go grocery shopping!

bec

18/1/12- Journal entry

Wow, could it be that a lot of my break outs were contributed to what I was using on my face? Obviously I believe in eating a clean diet and that diet effects your skin, but I think I was being way over the top strict to the point of being miserable. I am glad I went to see the derm and got the cleanser and clindmycin topical as they have both started to clear up my skin so well within a few days. But I am not getting my hopes up, time will tell if it will continue to clear and stay clear, but to see such a change within a few days makes me soooo happy. I almost forgot to write on here because I wasnt thinking and fretting about my skin so much! It is crazy how much just a slight improvement can change your mood so dramatically.
    Anyway, my BM this morning was quick and big ( i know gross, but I need to keep track of these things!), I think the enzymes are doing their job effectively. Tonight at dinner I felt the warm feeling after taking an enzyme tablet so I think I will just stick to one for now.
    Here's my meals for the day:

B- Scallops with a garlic and lemon ghee sauce, with mashed pumpkin, steamed broccoli & cabbage (super Enzyme)
    L- (was out and ate at a cafe)- Grilled Dory, oven baked potato slices, steamed broccoli, cauliflower & carrot (didn't take enzymes because I was out)
    2x probiotics
    D- Roast free range hormone free chicken (just the breast) with roast pumpkin, steamed carrot, cauli, broccoli, cabbage, asparagus (super enzymes, ZINC)

My skin was looking a-ok so I went grocery shopping and stocked up on some more veg. We have a load of meat and veg to keep us going for a while!

bec

19/01/2012 Journal entry

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, skin seems to be healing well. I am not getting any new big spots, just one or two new tiny pustules but the topical sorts them out quick smart. Today i couldn't do a BM at all and have felt quite constipated and after lunch quite bloated hopefully tomorrow will be better. I hope my enzymes are working.
    Meals for today:
    B- grilled white snapper, with steamed broccoli, cabbage and carrot (super enzyme & probiotics)
    L- Pumpkin soup with beef and broccoli (super enzymes & zinc)
    D- calamari with garlic and lemon, salad and oven baked potato. (super enzymes)

I think I need to stop eating potatoes, but I need something to keep my carbs up so i can put on more weight. I am not too sure if they are having an effect on my skin, i think it is virtually impossible to actually truly tell what contributes to break outs. Obviously when I eat chocolate or any sweets i notice I break out more. But unless I get completely clear i won't be able to tell which foods are causing breakouts or not. Bit annoying but oh well. I'm not sure I'll ever have 100% clear skin, maybe my body will grow out of it or something who knows. But for now I will continue to try and fix and heal my insides with really healthy eating and a good skin routine and hope for the best.
    Tomorrow I am going to a yoga class, havent done yoga in months but it should be good to help me relax!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast