Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Thin and I am in Line With Everything and Eating Enough page

Too Thin and I am in Line With Everything and Eating Enough

Shop Now
    I weigh 145 pounds and I am 6'1 and I have been surprisingly eating a little over 120 grams of carbs for about four months now. I get a good amount of exercise with my job for eight hours a day for five days a week but it is not an excessive amount of exercise and it is considered a normal labor job with lifting and other activity. I get over 100 grams of meat protein a day and I get around 100 grams of fat a day. I know that whenever I eat even a little more meat I feel sick: including eggs. I am eating organic red meat and turkey.

All I know is I have an intense craving for carbs, and I feel that I shouldn't eat some but I also feel like what am I doing? I definitely need to eat some more carbs. LOL at the way I sound with that sentence.

I have been feeling pretty weak and having terrifying muscle cramps. I am also having the worst time trying to sleep and when I actually fall asleep it is has been like clockwork I wake up four hours later with horrible leg cramps. And when I went to the doctor I didn't have any inflammation markers or anything wrong: including no worms in my stomach eating the food for me LOL I asked about that as well. And of course the doctor recommended me to eat more carbohydrates lol at doctors. So I decided to eat some more carbs yesterday and I ended up eating about 300 grams to possibly make up for a deficit as an experiment. And after the stomach ache went away, because that was awful LOL, I felt really great. I ate some sweet potatoes and squash and my muscle cramps have very largely subsided and I didn't feel like I had the flu anymore.

So my question is: what is a good decision for this situation? I am too thin and this is direct evidence that something is wrong; whether it is from my diet or not more food can help a low weight. And I felt better; but there are diseases and viruses that are designed to make a person feel good and euphoric because it is trying to distract the host LOL and I think carbs can work the same way. Should I eat more carbs? And isn't it less work for our body to get glycogen through less processing with ingesting glucose than from making glucose from fat and protein; which expends a good amount of resource and creates bi-product and waste product? Thank you for anyone who has any advice or who has tried to help.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 01-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Mark indicates the sweet spot for weight maintenance is 150g or carbs. I stands to reason if you are trying to gain some weight to eat a bit above that just make sure it is a healthy mix of veg and possibly a piece of fruit or two.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

peril is offline Senior Member
    100-150g carbs/day is supposed to be maintenance. Your body doesn't need any more. Feeling better after upping the carbs after feeling hungy all the time is a sure sign you were starving. Are you suffering any nutrient deficiencies?

Rather than just up the carbs, I would try increased protein along with increased heavy lifting to try build lean body weight. At the sametime, I would increase non-starchy vegetable intake along with some fats for nutrients and energy. Also consider supplementing any nutrients still in deficit after making such changes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoretsg3984 View Post
    I weigh 145 pounds and I am 6'1 and I have been surprisingly eating a little over 120 grams of carbs for about four months now. I get a good amount of exercise with my job for eight hours a day for five days a week but it is not an excessive amount of exercise and it is considered a normal labor job with lifting and other activity. I get over 100 grams of meat protein a day and I get around 100 grams of fat a day. I know that whenever I eat even a little more meat I feel sick: including eggs. I am eating organic red meat and turkey.

All I know is I have an intense craving for carbs, and I feel that I shouldn't eat some but I also feel like what am I doing? I definitely need to eat some more carbs. LOL at the way I sound with that sentence.

I have been feeling pretty weak and having terrifying muscle cramps. I am also having the worst time trying to sleep and when I actually fall asleep it is has been like clockwork I wake up four hours later with horrible leg cramps. And when I went to the doctor I didn't have any inflammation markers or anything wrong: including no worms in my stomach eating the food for me LOL I asked about that as well. And of course the doctor recommended me to eat more carbohydrates lol at doctors. So I decided to eat some more carbs yesterday and I ended up eating about 300 grams to possibly make up for a deficit as an experiment. And after the stomach ache went away, because that was awful LOL, I felt really great. I ate some sweet potatoes and squash and my muscle cramps have very largely subsided and I didn't feel like I had the flu anymore.

So my question is: what is a good decision for this situation? I am too thin and this is direct evidence that something is wrong; whether it is from my diet or not more food can help a low weight. And I felt better; but there are diseases and viruses that are designed to make a person feel good and euphoric because it is trying to distract the host LOL and I think carbs can work the same way. Should I eat more carbs? And isn't it less work for our body to get glycogen through less processing with ingesting glucose than from making glucose from fat and protein; which expends a good amount of resource and creates bi-product and waste product? Thank you for anyone who has any advice or who has tried to help.
    Sounds like your potassium/electrolytes are off~ have you been staying low sodium? Try an electrolyte supplement~ I use unprocessed sea salt ( t. per liter of water) but there are others on the market~ check your health food store~

I have well over a hundred percent for magnesium, potassium, folate, B12, etc: the vitamins including Vitamin E. I eat some over a hundred percent for sodium because I lose some when exercising. I get plenty of exercise and I appreciate the suggestion but I don't think I need to lift more than the amount I do with my job but I applaud the energy you have. I am feeling better eating more than one fifty for now but I think it is good to go above one fifty for a few days a week and within 150 for the rest, depending on your activity level, because I didn't even realize I had headaches until I started eating more carbs because now my head feels like it isn't empty or running low on sustenance. I think it is also efficient for your body to burn through glycogen, even though it is the exact opposite by definition, because if a body can consume and absorb more energy through a shorter period of time that is also efficient if the body intends to do so. And I think my body is trying to tell me this since there isn't an inherent feeling present within myself from a need to have to conserve energy so my body freely expends it at a particular pace which is without extraneous conservation or stretching out stale glycogen. But that is a wild as guess LOL.

I also only eat foods that don't have aggressive lectins or other natural toxins in them and not just grains and seeds. I am very particular for the foods I eat. So I believe my body is telling me that since there is no inherent position to conserve energy: it is open to consume more which would benefit my body. Or I have been running up a deficit but I feel like it is a bigger deficit that the near thirty grams under the 150 I have been maintaining for the past three months. I also do not eat fruits because I see no reason to eat toxic fructose for antioxidants as I can eat these with good vegetables. But I do not look down on people for eating fruit because fruit has a lot of benefits in them and it too me a while to make that decision.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 01-11-2012 at 10:25 PM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I would eat more carbs - as you say you felt a lot better when you upped your daily intake to 300g.

As long as it's starch low in toxins, it's unlikely to do you much damage.

I also eat sweet potatoes, but as they have significant fructose I think it's best to use other safe sources of starch that are fructose free. Like you I hardly eat any fruit due to fructose content, and consider sweet potatoes worth the hit as they have far more going for them than fruit.

Can you tolerate white rice? It's the best tolerated grain as it's one of the lowest in anti-nutrients. I use it as a cheap, benign, and very palatable source of starch, always with plenty of veg, fat and protein of course! There's a case of a British woman with severe food allergies who's survived eating nothing but white rice for 10 years. As white rice is widely eaten among some of the healthiest longest-lived nations on earth, like the Japanese, it seems to have a lot going for it, when eaten in moderation.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

dado Guest
    are you a woman or man?

you need to squat heavy weights.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    LOL!

on a more serious note. i would up the carbs a bit. maybe shoot for around 200 grams, especially if you are active at your job. 6'1" and 145 is really pretty slim. maybe up the total calories too. and i second the thought on electrolytes. eat a banana with your breakfast and don't be afraid of the sea salt.

I am a man Dado and I am lifting around 100 pounds or more for significant distances every ten minutes or less lol with my job; and with the amount of muscle cramps I have been getting I believe going over 150 is too much. Also; I would be setting myself up for damage later in life if I am not already with my bones, bone marrow, and muscles. From what I've read I am not doing excessive exercise but who knows. I believe the correct answer is more carbs; I am still feeling a whole lot better by increasing my carb intake and I do believe it is about activity level and source of carbs.

I have a good friend of mine who was in a similar situation and actually when he just reduced his workouts, and believe me they weren't excessive before, to three times a week for cardio and over 100 pounds for squats and other lifts he actually began to gain weight. Then he was still feeling weak and with muscle cramps so he went from over 100 grams of carbs a day to 200 a day and he doesn't have a layer of fat on him and a very near perfect six pack. Whenever he dips below that he just told me: he gets weak again and his joints hurt and muscles cramp. So who knows; maybe our bodies benefit from glycogen enough to where it wants more of it when it doesn't need to conserve it.

I understand and follow the Paleo lifestyle for eliminating the things we don't need and limiting certain things we do: but glycogen is essential to our body it isn't a side note substance or toxin. I would go vlc if my body wasn't weak and frail from it LOL it could just be my weak and frail body though. But if it worked with my body I also wouldn't be sure to be VLC because it just seems that getting glucose to make glycogen seems to be much less work than creating glycogen from my protein and fat supply. But I could be wrong; I just know that even with the written benefits from it I want more studies done on it because I would consider working towards it if I knew it was good for the body as it just seems to be contrary to certain logic. The body is known in many studies to be more efficient and to express much more amazing qualities and capabilities when it is using its near-death or fight-or flight faculties or resources and the results from ketones might be that and that is why I am pissed at science because I want to know more about VLC than just throwing out some open-ended positives that could be having some side-effects.
    Last edited by Baltimoretsg3984; 01-12-2012 at 01:20 PM.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    If you're underweight then eat as many damn carbs as you want, as long as they're good carbs. This is only a low-carb WOE because eating "high carb" is tough when you take out all the crap grains and sugars. If you don't need to lose weight then eat as much healthy food as you can comfortably stomach, regardless of macros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast