Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In line at the grocery store today page 2

emmcubed Guest

Adam, soon you won't miss sugar at all. And you sure as hell won't miss the way it makes you feel.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

I didn't mind the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, but I preferred the Weight Watchers ice cream bars...yet neither was ever satisfying enough to replace real ice cream! Thank goodness I haven't spent money on anything like that in...9 months? Yep that's about right

Re: other's grocery carts...I saw a lady literally FILL the conveyor belt full of crappy frozen dinners a couple of weeks ago. The SmartChoice ones in some red box I think. Literally filled. 3 feet of conveyor belt stacked at least 3-4 boxes high. ??? So gross.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Geoff is offline Member

It's funny, but for me going into Wal-Mart and similar stores is less frustrating than what I see at the local Whole Paycheck. I want to scream when I see parents shelling out tons of cash to load up carts with "organic" candy bars, juices, and other junk from boxes. To me it's doubly unfortunate that those parents seem to labor under the misplaced notion that they're both nutritionally well informed and doing something really healthy for their kids by feeding them that cr@p. When I shop there on the store's outside outside perimeter I almost always end up with a greater quantity of food and a lower bill than them - partly because I'm aggressively hunting bargains, but also because there's no denying that, pound-for-pound, seasonal real food is nearly always cheaper than the industrial stuff.

That I don't find the behavior in Wal-Mart as shocking as WF may just be an example of a "soft bigotry of low expectations" that I hold toward Wal-Mart et.al. and those who shop there. (Using that famous "W-ism" in a race-neutral context here, of course.) I'm sure it's elitist and wrong of me to presume that WF shoppers are - or should be - better informed than Wal-Mart shoppers (or I might just have be insufficiently critical of WF's marketing). Hell, some (many?) of the people who shop there may know damn well that there are better options but they may lack the means or the knowledge to get them or might. Some of them probably just like Doritos and Cheeze Whiz, know they're unhealthy, and just don't care.

So maybe that's why I find the WF organixxx crowd more frustrating. They really seem like they're trying to be healthy and are willing to pay a large premium to do it - yet, for all the extra money they spend, the stuff they bring home is all essentially boxed up sugar.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

I've noticed a lot less overweight people at whole foods than your local grocery store though...

Geoff is offline Member

Not so sure about that - we get a pretty pudgy crowd at our local WF, not obese, mind you, but most of the shoppers there are a little bit overweight. (Heck, I include myself in that group: I could stand need to drop at least 10 pounds of fat.)

From my anecdotal observations, there seems to be a greater number of obese people shopping at my local Wal-Mart, but there is also a much larger number of elderly shoppers there, and, from what I can see, they tend to be fairly lean. Compare that to my local WF where the "average" shopper (like me) tends to be younger but also tends to be just a little bit overweight.

Charentais Guest

Oh dear...Skinny Cow...

I once ate an entire package in one night. Six ice cream sandwiches.

They're so sugary that I just kept going back for more.

Behold, the power of sugar!

Never bought them again.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

"skinny cow = fat cow"...I like that one

You know, it's kind of funny when you see those women load up their shopping carts full of Healthy Choice canned soups, weight watcher bars, healthy choice frozen entrées, and fat free healthy cereals. Think about how much money they're paying for all that brand-name "healthy" food that has very minimal, most often none of the nutritional value.

When you tell those people about your life style and the types of foods you eat, they right away yell out "too expensive to live like that". Really?

95% of all the food I consume comes in non-packaged form so it's always cheaper than to have some out process it at the plant, put it in a package, and advertise the hell out of it. If my piece of grass-fed steak costs $6-8 a lb, I am still way ahead of those women at getting cheap, highly nutritious meal that I myself prepare with much love and appreciation. They, on the other hand, need to consume a ton of that packaged crap to even come close to a nutritional value of that one piece of grass-fed meat. And on top of that, they will need to load themselves with artificial vitamins and supplements to even be able to survive on that crap on a regular basis. So is it really cheaper to be on a Weight Watcher's diet?

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

@ Chocolatechip ...

The funny thing about people who whine about how "expensive" healthy food is are very, very often the people who get a $4 latte (completely devoid of nutritional value) at least once a day.

/facepalm

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Beth_D is offline Junior Member

@"you're supposed to feed your kids food!"

My MIL thinks I'm depriving my children because I don't buy them Twinkies (among other things). She literally went out and bought them a box of Twinkies to sample. I was very nonchalant about the whole thing, but felt secretly vindicated when they each tasted one and threw them away after one bite. My middle daughter said "This tastes like chemicals."

She chastises me for feeding them eggs and butter and beef, while she slathers everything in margarine and low-fat Cool Whip. They're all overweight and have high blood pressure and diabetes, but won't hear anything about ditching the low-fat, high sugar crap they call food.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I recently posted in my journal about how I feel like I'm surrounded by sugar whenever I go shopping. It's not even restricted to the grocery store- while in line at the craft store (buying a frame), I was surrounded on both sides by sugar sugar sugar. Once you start noticing this, it becomes difficult not to see.

And don't get me started on what children are fed, especially by grandparents. I seriously need to either lighten up in this department or get some sort of punching bag. And I'm not even that strict with my daughter! I just can't handle an entire meal with sugar in everything- the drink, the entree, the side dishes, the dessert. My MIL routinely gives my daughter: juice, yogurt (sugary), and a low-fat muffin (sugary) for breakfast. Then, for lunch: graham crackers, grapes, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Ahhh!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast