Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Marianne "60 Is the New 40") page 3

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ah, the Swedish salmon....fresh caught, it's like no other salmon I've ever had. And the gravlax, oh my. Every time I get a whiff of fresh dill I'm craving it. I would love to reproduce it here, but every classic recipe I can find includes a huge amount of sugar in the curing mixture. I'm thinking this is an instance where Stevia or some alternative sweetener just wouldn't cut it. But maybe not? Any suggestions?

I had my first Zumba experience today. An out-of-shape overweight neighbor asked me if I’d go with her to “Zumba Gold.” I didn’t know what that was exactly. Hint: it rhymes with OLD.

So not only was it my first Zumba class, but also the first time I stepped foot into our local senior center. Who says aging doesn’t open up new horizons? The class was held in the room where they also serve a low cost lunch, so the lingering smell of tuna casserole added a certain something to the experience.

But how can you not like an exercise class that begins with everyone sitting in chairs??? Yep, there we were, about twelve oddly shaped old ladies swingin’ our feet to that Latin beat. And an instructor who I swear was not wearing a single item of attire without at least 16 Zumba logos on it.

We did eventually stand up, and I thought, okay now we’re going to work it. Well, sort of. Lots of arm swinging, some side-stepping, and an occasional bellydance-like hip sway. Must still be the warm-up, just kind of long. So I happily hung in there, waiting to get sweaty. But before I knew it, the instructor had us all standing in place and doing big slow arm sweeps and deep breaths. I’m no pro, but that’s the move known the world over as Cool Down. What? A minute later the class was over with everyone wiping their faces and exclaiming how tired they were. Hmmmmm…..

Here’s what I learned from it all:

--The ladies are GREAT to put themselves out there and take on any form of exercise that challenges them. They could have played Bingo, but didn’t. Way to go.

--A year ago, I would have thought it was a serious workout, too. An experience like this happily reminds me that I have indeed come a long way.

--I love booty-shaking music. Always say yes to dancing!

--Maybe I need to get some orange and chartreuse workout clothes.

--Never, EVER be in the vicinity of tuna while exercising.

Hi -- I'm just experimenting with new tech skills--figuring out how to post pictures here. These are some lemons I foraged from a neighbor's tree. They're so pretty part of me doesn't want to even use them, but my love of lemon chicken is bound to win out....

Last edited by Marianne; 01-28-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Marianne, I really have enjoyed reading your journal up to here. Your zest for life is apparent. I too have not really ever been a big fan of exercise, but I might look into getting a "shovelglove;" that sounds interesting. Thanks for the link.

I'm almost 60 and totally grateful that I can do more than sit in a chair and wave my arms around.

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    I going to pick up a sledgehammer this weekend. It should fit in nicely with my sandbag and large wood round. Thank you for sharing these wonderful ideas! I was cracking up over your Zumba exploits at the senior center. Too funny! You might try it again in a different venue? It does look like a fun class.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Ah, the Swedish salmon....fresh caught, it's like no other salmon I've ever had. And the gravlax, oh my. Every time I get a whiff of fresh dill I'm craving it. I would love to reproduce it here, but every classic recipe I can find includes a huge amount of sugar in the curing mixture. I'm thinking this is an instance where Stevia or some alternative sweetener just wouldn't cut it. But maybe not? Any suggestions?
    How about palm sugar? Nice nutty, caramel finish so less required. Some carbs may be worth it. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    How about palm sugar? Nice nutty, caramel finish so less required. Some carbs may be worth it. . . .
    Mmmmm, palm sugar -- great suggestion! I will happily make this 20% of the 80/20 rule when I next have some focused food prep time. Oh, and I ended up going to Monterey Market for those radishes and butter, but it was delish all the same. Thanks for providing the impetus for my very own Proustian moment :-)

Thank you, Sanas & Lisa, for enjoying my journal thus far. I do hope you have a chance to try sledgehammering--it's a very satisfying and FUN way to get primal. My next idea for cheap home workout equipment is to fill one of those big built-in-handle plastic laundry soap containers with sand or gravel and try swinging that around. Sort of like a kettlebell--maybe. Of course this project requires me to get off my butt and do some laundry first...bleah.

I feel like I should title this post like one of those old 1950’s pulp magazines – Fantastic Stories! or True Horror Adventures! This one would be called The Amazing Invisible Baguette!

For reasons too tedious to go into, I had a baguette in my house yesterday. And not just any old piece of bread, but fresh seeded sourdough baguette from my totally favorite local carb source, the Cheese Board. In my pre-primal days I would have tried valiantly to resist such a treat, but almost always lose the battle. No matter what else I was doing or thinking, the news feed at the bottom of my mental screen would be seductively scrolling a continuous loop of “fresh bread, go eat, fresh bread, go eat, fresh bread…”

But, get this – yesterday I completely forgot the baguette was there! It wasn’t until I was doing the usual bedtime stuff (“Bring in the dog and put out the cat, yakity-yak,” The Coasters) that I spied it again on the kitchen counter. I was stunned. Had it been under some magic cloak of invisibility all day? Nope, it had been there the entire time, and I had totally ignored it. No, better than ignored it—didn’t even register it. Not once! Cue very happy laughter.

For me, this is another example of the best part of going primal. Of course I’m happy that I’ve lost some weight and look better in my clothes (the naked part still needs some tinkering…), but I think the most important benefits of being primal are mental. I have been released from lifelong destructive food obsessions and the accompanying self-hate. This emotional change happened effortlessly—not one hour of therapy involved, just a shift in focus to living by the primal rules.

My husband had to come out to the kitchen to see what I was laughing about. Then it was his turn to be stunned when he saw me ripping that baguette apart and cackling loudly as it went down the garbage disposal. I don’t deny this was wasting food, but on the other hand, what a happy ending to an old horror story.

Today we celebrated my mother’s 90th birthday. Wow. Happy birthday to a wonderful, feisty, loving, funny, vibrant, artistic, crazy-making, smart, adorable, strong, opinionated, and admirable woman. I am so blessed to still have her in my life.

We had a family + close friends lunch party at The Dead Fish, a sort of retro but very good seafood restaurant (despite its name) overlooking the north SF Bay. I had a salad and half a fresh Dungeness crab, and, yes, a very tasty Bloody Mary. So, great food, great people, great view, great time, happy mother—what could be better?

Mom is still very much her own woman, physically active and mentally engaged. She swims and goes to the gym, belongs to two book clubs, a film society, and does political volunteer work. She still cooks like a pro, and I long ago gave up trying to keep my house as clean as hers.

When I think about it, she’s followed quite a few primal rules most of her life: lots of exercise, fresh air & sunshine, real food, and an appreciation for play and for living. She claims her secret to a long and happy life is “A short daily nap and a strong nightly martini.” Cheers to you, Mom! You deserve that martini.

Here’s hoping I’ve inherited an enormous helping of her genes and that I can be even a fraction as wonderful as she is at 90.

Oh, and P.S. – Next time, ask me about my 92 year old FATHER!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast