Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Marianne "60 Is the New 40") page 2

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Great writing! Great food! Great to see another bay area foodie around here! Thanks for starting this... I will be back for more... xoL

Marianne is offline Senior Member
    As part of my Back to Basics activity, Iím swinging the olí sledgehammer again. Fun!

I got my sledgehammer over a year ago after following a series of links that eventually led me to Timothy Williamís Urban Primalist site and his entertaining Shovelglove Community College . Iím not really sure why this particular mode of exercise struck such a chord for meóI canít even pound a straight nail, ferheavenssakes, let alone use any other sort of tool or equipment.

But once I found Shovelglove I just had to try it, and I bought a sledgehammer the very next day. I was still working then, and went to the hardware store on my lunch hour in complete Appropriate Business Attire uniform. I did turn a few heads as I walked back to the office in silk suit and heels carrying a sledgehammer

Since then Iíve used it for many at-home workouts (there are a lot of exercise suggestions on Urban Primalistís site and others), and I really enjoyed each one. But then life got in the way of the best of intentions, and the sledgehammer drifted farther and farther back into the tool cupboard. I hadnít ever gotten to the point where it was my single most common form of exercise, anyway, although some people swear by it and have some pretty impressive Before & After photos to support their claims.

Now with a wetter turn in the weather and an obscure pain in one foot making my usual long sweaty walks harder to do, Iíve pulled out the hammer again, and am remembering what fun it is to swing that sucker around. The Husband's starting to call me "John Henry," and is keeping his distance!

I roasted a chicken for dinner the other night and was really struck by how incredibly delicious this simple, simple food can be. And it’s all about the primal.

Pre-primal, I would have grabbed whatever supermarket bird was on sale and slam it into the oven, followed by slamming it into my face (after fastidiously removing all the skin, of course…). It was really just fodder to keep the pasta company.

These days, for one thing I’m buying real chicken, as free-range and organically wonderful as possible. But even more important, my taste buds have woken up. Eating primally has really changed how I experience flavors. I’m much more aware of subtle ones, and the stronger ones (good and bad) can hit me upside the head in an instant. The old me would have scoffed at the idea of any noticeable taste difference between assembly line “chicken” and the real thing. Now I know there IS a difference (in so many ways), plus now I actually have sensitive primal taste buds that can notice that difference. Double win!

So—perfect little poultry package roasted with nothing but sea salt at 450 degrees for one hour = eating bliss. Include some cauliflower w/cumin & smoked paprika plus romaine salad with homemade mayo caesar dressing, and, yes, there was some very unladylike moaning involved.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking your chicken liver recipe would be even more fantastic served on radish rounds spread with a thin layer of good butter.

Please spin the prayer wheel at the Berkley Bowl next time you're there (sniff) and tell it I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by missblue View Post
    I was thinking your chicken liver recipe would be even more fantastic served on radish rounds spread with a thin layer of good butter.

Please spin the prayer wheel at the Berkley Bowl next time you're there (sniff) and tell it I miss it.
    Oooo, radish rounds with butter--great suggestion with or without the chicken liver :-) I used to live in Sweden where they frequently ate early spring radishes with butter. Thanks for reminding me of this tasty treat. Off to Berkeley Bowl to get some Strauss butter and check out the radishes!

To help with the Lift Heavy Things primal rule, I work out every Wednesday with a personal trainer. Sometimes I still can’t believe I do this!

It’s a luxury I decided to indulge in when I began my post-retirement/newly primal life. I had no idea that I would learn to love it so much or that I would still be going at it over a year later. It’s a financial commitment, to be sure, but I’ve come to realize that I would rather spend my few extra pennies on exercise than on so many other less primal alternatives.

All praise to wonderful Amy, the trainer who keeps me sweating, laughing, and looking forward to more. When I started I was absolute cr*p. The gym was only a few blocks away from my house, and after the first session my muscles were so shocked I wove along the sidewalk like a drunk heading home from an all-night bender. And after today’s session with Amy, my muscles still feel very well used, but in a good way—maybe more like after a second glass of wine in the Jacuzzi…. :-)

Amy keeps track of my progress and numbers, both in terms of inches/pounds lost and reps/lift strength gained, etc. But I honestly don’t really pay that much attention to them. I can simply see and feel the enormous difference. I have never—repeat, never—liked any form of exercise before, so this is an incredible transformation. I love having muscles, love being able to meet physical challenges I never thought I could do, and best of all I love the positive energy this whole new experience has given me. YAAAAY for the primal life!
    Last edited by Marianne; 01-25-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Funny note on "60 Is the New 40" -- when I type that phrase into the MDA search box, the first result comes up with a GoogleAd for something titled "40 Is Really Old." Hahaha -- Nope, not this gal!

Update: Now that wtf GoogleAd seems to have disappeared. Did my comment actually have some sort of effect?????? Who knows in the mysterious world of the internet....
    Last edited by Marianne; 01-27-2012 at 10:27 AM.

primal4fifty is offline Senior Member
    OMG... people should pay admission to your journal marianne... you could make it your semi-retirement cottage industry! damn you make me laugh!

Sledgehammering sounds strangely satisfying. I will go look that up. Several years ago I was co-owner of a small garden design practice. When jobs were too small to bring in any crew, my business partner and I often found ourselves behind the business end of a sledgehammer removing gnarly shrub trunks and small trees. We also placed a lot of our own boulders in our designs because it is so hard to make guys to do it right and force them to listen to "the girls" drivel on about angle, depth, etc. That involved lots of small moves with various sized rock bars. I do so much less of that now that I'm just working in my own garden. But that shiz will make you strong! Remind your husband that its strengthening muscles he cant see but will enjoy later (hint hint) and he will find it plenty hawt! hahaha

Yes, primal really really enhances flavor. Its more than just the high quality ingredients, because we bay area types have been dabbling there in years, haven't we? Its what you said: the simplicity and honesty of the overall diet. And for me, the elimination of sugar. I've always been a sugar girl making homemade pies and cookies and cupcakes. Getting rid of sugar has helped immensely.

warm regards, L

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Oooo, radish rounds with butter--great suggestion with or without the chicken liver :-) I used to live in Sweden where they frequently ate early spring radishes with butter. Thanks for reminding me of this tasty treat. Off to Berkeley Bowl to get some Strauss butter and check out the radishes!
    Tell us about the salmon. The cured stuff especially. Please Please Please. . .

Quote Originally Posted by primal4fifty View Post
    OMG... people should pay admission to your journal marianne... you could make it your semi-retirement cottage industry! damn you make me laugh!
    Thanks for the kind words--as for the writing, well likewise I'm sure!

My husband (also a retired landscaper btw!) has been "primal by default" along with me. I could write a whole post about what that's like. And probably will on a day when he's being particularly ornery about it. BUT he's also lost weight and is exercising more, and we're both definitely, uh, enjoying the benefits :-)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast