Thread: Primal Journal (robhortn) page

robhortn is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (robhortn)

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Those words are certainly true in my life. Man-oh-man-a-shevitz have I been swept slowly away by this primal life .. but in such a very good way. I think the "Bilbo" in my life was my old way of thinking, encouraging me to simply stay home and keep things the way they were.

But I'm a curious sort. When I found this site, two years or so ago now, I was hooked quite quickly. When you "know" something is right .. way down there in your know-er .. you just have to act.

My first act was taking basic info, mixing it with a plethora of overly-excited explanations and drowning my wife in info. I got the deer in the headlights look. I got questions like, "How is this different from the Protein Power Plan we tried?".

I was new and had no good answers. I'd lost about 20lbs before going just low-carb and high-protein. But how I was doing it was unsustainable.

When I first saw the PB though, I knew .. could feel .. that this was far more than just another way to eat. It was something that literally beckoned to me. I knew it was a way of life. Something that tied me to my past in a real way.

Since I've gone primal (in only eating) I've lost 70lbs and have kept it off for close to a year now. Finally though, I kinda leveled out. I still have more fat to lose and muscle to build. I know longer care about "what I weigh" because hey, Grok didn't. His environment largely shaped him into the figure we know and love.

My challenge is to first shape my environment correctly, and then I'll change with that.

Until now, at the start of this challenge Mark has set up, I've not been consistent at all on primal movement. I've just been "ok". Sure I can do things now that I couldn't 70lbs ago .. and that feels great.

My inner Grok isn't fully realized yet. So this year I want to set him free. I've never seen him but rather have only heard his whispers.

This year that all changes though.

I want to see what I look like Grok'd out. I want to know what it feels like to have solid strength in my grip, to have smooth fluid movement when I run, and to be able to simply jump up, grab and tree limb and haul myself quickly into a tree in the woods behind our house.

It's gonna be a fun year! I'm glad to be able to share it on here and keep myself accountable!

Grok on!

Rob Horton

P.S. - In future pics, I promise to smile more, haha!

(attached is ye old current pic that I submitted for the challenge.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday's food log includes ...

B - Smoothie with blueberries
    L - B.A.S.
    D - Breakfast scramble with 2 strips of bacon

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Rob- congrats on the 70lb weight loss already bro!

Do you add protein to that smoothie in the morning?
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

dave155 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robhortn View Post
    "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." - Bilbo Baggins

Those words are certainly true in my life. Man-oh-man-a-shevitz have I been swept slowly away by this primal life .. but in such a very good way. I think the "Bilbo" in my life was my old way of thinking, encouraging me to simply stay home and keep things the way they were.

But I'm a curious sort. When I found this site, two years or so ago now, I was hooked quite quickly. When you "know" something is right .. way down there in your know-er .. you just have to act.
    Hi Rob, great results! Man, if I can get the diet humming like that, I'll be a very happy guy. Thanks for sharing.

I'm heading down this road with you. It's just the right thing to do. I know it in my gut too!

I also want that boundless energy. I want to grab that branch and pull myself up into the tree because it's fun and energizing to use my body like that. I don't want to worry about heart disease. I don't want to suffer from sugar crashes anymore. I want to be alive and tuned in.

Grok on, you've inspired me.
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

Thanks for the kind words. I know you can do this if I did! Grok on!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    Hey Rob- congrats on the 70lb weight loss already bro!

Do you add protein to that smoothie in the morning?
    Thanks!

The smoothies that I have contain some pretty good protein in them. But sometimes I do add extra scoops to get more and also I sometimes add some good fats too it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dave155 View Post
    Hi Rob, great results! Man, if I can get the diet humming like that, I'll be a very happy guy. Thanks for sharing.

I'm heading down this road with you. It's just the right thing to do. I know it in my gut too!

I also want that boundless energy. I want to grab that branch and pull myself up into the tree because it's fun and energizing to use my body like that. I don't want to worry about heart disease. I don't want to suffer from sugar crashes anymore. I want to be alive and tuned in.

Grok on, you've inspired me.
    Thanks for the kind words. I know you can do this if I did! Grok on!

Alrighty time for some "real" talk It would be easy to get on here and hide behind the internet and tell you things are going along swimmingly this year so far in this challenge. But it ain't always easy people. It's just not always easy.

After a lifetime of poor choices and poor mental training concerning life/food/activity .. its just easy to slip up. Anybody else but me ever feel like that?

So this year instead of losing more, getting leaner, I've gained 5lbs (somewhere). I can't be certain where but there it is.

Sure I've been working out harder, and I am stronger so its easy to say it's muscle gain. But in my heart I know I've not been eating optimally for me.

And you know what? That's ok. <gasp!>

See the secret for me in losing the weight that I have and making what changes I have, is that I've been honest with myself. I approach a scale and mumble "grok not care what weight is, grok just want number". (yes I do that actually sometimes) .. and why? To remove the "emotion" from it for me.

Based on that number and the importance I've placed on it in my life, I've done more damage than good. That's not the scale's fault though, it's mine.

So there we have it. 5lbs gained somewhere. And so the following 30 days, I'm doing a full-on-grok-reset. For me that started this week with strictly primal .. no sugar (even the ok kind) .. intermittent fasts on for a day and half each week and no eating of any kind after 7pm (I've learned this is the cutoff time for my body and whether it reacts poorly or negatively to food .. hey you have to pay attention to yourself right?)

Ok, enough from me. Get to see Mark Sisson live tonight in St Louis, MO .. can't wait!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Had a great time at the Primal Seminar the other night in St Louis! Great times, great training and even got hooked up with a local Meetup group, which before the meeting, I didn't know existed. VERY cool!