Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 53

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I have not personally had beef tendon, but I've watched someone else eat it. It basically looked like cherry jello. Do not want.
    It tastes like nothing. It's like the tofu of meat. If you like to eat the cartilage off chicken bones, you'll like it.

I add it to soups. Lots of extra collagen!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I add it to soups. Lots of extra collagen!
    Yeah, I would definitely add it to stocks, but I wouldn't eat it straight. Strange textures weird me out, though I'm sure it's super nutritious.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Anchovy paste! I get a tube of it every year in my Christmas stocking. I love, love, love it!

Yeah, I would definitely add it to stocks, but I wouldn't eat it straight. Strange textures weird me out, though I'm sure it's super nutritious.
    Oh, well then. Boil it a while in your stock. It'll thicken the everloving bejeezus out of it. Then just fish it out later. I made an oxtail soup last winter that way. 'Course, I ate the tendon...Mr. Onalark was all like, yeaaaaah, you can have mine.

Do you think the tendon would be good to add to chicken stocks? I make chicken stock about 10x more often than beef stock. You say it has no flavor, so..

I've been meaning to get a bunch of chicken feet for my chicken stocks, but I don't get over to the asian market often enough (it's too inconvenient to get to). I do put egg shells in the stock, but I'm still on the hunt for more and better ways to add additional gelatin.

Do you think the tendon would be good to add to chicken stocks? I make chicken stock about 10x more often than beef stock. You say it has no flavor, so..
    Worth a shot! Assuming it's just tendon. The ones I get at the Asian markets are just that -- there's not a bit of fat or meat on them.

I just finished a pot of bone broth in the crockpot tonight. No tendon, alas.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I had never even thought of adding eggshell to the stock! Good way to add more minerals, I would think. Adding extra tendon makes sense too.

I always save all the gristly bits off the meat to put into the stock, though. All that stuff cooks into it beautifully.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I had never even thought of adding eggshell to the stock! Good way to add more minerals, I would think.
    Yup, it adds a lot of calcium. When you take the shells out at the end they feel rubbery because all the minerals have leached out into the stock. I usually add about 4-5 egg shells, or however many I have room for in the pot, allowing them to submerge.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I'll have to try that next time.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the eggshell tip Gravyboat. I think I'll start saving my eggshells too. I never think to do that.

I really like making broth out of chicken feet for the same reason. I snip them up before boiling them down for the broth. Broth is so much more rich and creamy when you make it out of chicken feet.

Just to see what would happen, about 5 days ago I rooted a celery stub in a dish of water - the little round bit that is left over after you cut the stalks off. Well, I didn't think it would work but the damn thing proved me wrong and started growing, so tonight I decided I would reward it with its own little pot full of dirt and set it by the window. In return, I expect to have a pretty, leafy bunch of fresh, organic, home-grown celery in a couple months. Yes, I think celery plants are pretty. I'm strange. People seem to have had good luck growing celery in indoor containers, so I thought I would try. I live in an apartment and have zero access to gardening areas.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast