Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 51

nimiety is offline Junior Member
    Hi there. I'm sorry this is a tough time for you at work, but I just wanted to know that I read all fifty pages of your journal today—because I'm new around here and looking for metabolically damaged fat women in whose primal footsteps to follow—and am utterly charmed by your wit, your perseverance, your refusal to tolerate fat-shaming, and (inexplicably!) the strange contrast between your grotesque descriptions of yourself and your actual (lovely) appearance. Congratulations on the book deal, fingers crossed for the Big Thing and the end of your work stress, and thank you very much for a good read and a good example.
    Primal goals: metabolic health, vitality, strength, and maybe some weight loss wouldn't be amiss

My journal: eating-disordered fat woman takes up eating meat and lifting weights; hilarity ensues

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Things are busy, yeah. I just had to rebuild my computer. All this, and a hard drive fails too. Ick!

Thank you Nimiety for the great response!

I've not been coming around to this board much lately. I'm still Primal, but the fat-hate, fat-shaming, and carb-pushing in MDA is more than I'm willing to put up with. If I ate as many sweet potatoes that everybody on here recommends, I'd weigh 600 pounds. My exercise has dropped off, like it does when I'm stressed and the weather is hot, which would make eating lots of carbs even more disastrous. Heat turns me into a slug. I don't do anything for days on end.

These days I'm controlling my weight with healthy sized servings of meat, and fresh, organic, RAW fruits and vegetables. I rarely cook a plant, unless I'm making a curry. Mmmm, curry!

I may have also snuck a bean in here and there. Yeah, I know. Don't get excited, I'm talking about just a sprinkle on my salads. Hey, do you guys know if bean sprouts are ok to eat (kinda like people asking about wheat sprouts)? I love bean sprouts but haven't touched them because, you know, beans, but on the other hand they are green plants like lettuces and cabbage...

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Bean sprouts are alright, Mark said so.

I toootally hear you about the carb-pushing. It was the carb-pushing that encouraged me to start eating fruit and dark chocolate, and I'm figuring out now that that's exactly why my weight kept plateauing. I need to be in keto. I cannot do carbs. But the way people talk around here, it's as if you're stupid or misguided or both if you decide to go super-low-carb. And if someone does try to push down into keto, and start feeling crappy, people don't say "Push through, that means it's working!" they say "Increase your carbs."

I think a large part of the problem is that (it feels like) the majority of posters here have been around for years, lost all their weight years ago, increased carbs after their bodies were completely healed and they didn't have anymore weight to lose, and now have some kind of magical amnesia about how they managed to lose weight in the first place and only post based on what they eat now (which is carbs, because they can). So they end up telling morbidly obese people to eat carbs (generally in the rudest way possible), and so are basically just sabotaging them under the guise of being helpful.

I don't even feel like I'm doing primal these days, frankly. I'm doing whole-foods keto. I value the information that comes out of MDA because I am still trying to eat low-toxin. But, otherwise, there is not much overlap.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

hurrrr double post
    Last edited by Spubba; 07-15-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: duhurr

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Bean sprouts are alright, Mark said so.
    Ah, read the article. Thanks. I think I'm going to allow myself a few sprouts - broccoli, celery and lentil, maybe. I love crunchy sprouts in my salads and it's been too hot to cook; I get sluggish and depressed enough in this heat without running the stove a lot and making my situation worse. I think I'm sorta "hibernating" till the fall.

I like reading the journals at MDA. But the last really bad fat-shaming thread on here just kinda made me feel like I'm not wanted around here.

Oh, ETA: I cooked up a beef tongue. It was so wonderful, I ran back to the butcher to get another, but they were out! Apparently tongue is popular, and with good reason! The one I got (grassfed) was very tender, moist and flavorful. I want more!

How I cooked it: In water in the crockpot, overnight, with only a sprinkle of salt. I took it out of the water, peeled it, cubed it up and put the cubes in the fridge. I should have saved the cooking water because it was like stock. STUPID OF ME to throw it out. Next time, I won't.

That evening, I took the fridged tongue-cubes and cooked them with green and red chilies, cumin, coriander and garlic and served them over a bed of lettuce. I tell ya, if you haven't tried beef tongue, give it a go. You'll thank yourself, I mean it.

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to see you posting again!

Someday I'd like to try tongue... I think it's the peeling it that has me skeeved out. How long did you cook it in the crock? 8 or 10 hrs?

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    I have a grass-fed beef heart in my freezer that is waiting for me to have time to Crock-Pot it like a roast. Been trying to get more of my fruit and veg at the farmers' markets too, rather than the grocery store.

Re: beans - I finally read PB this past week or so, and I believe that Mark also OK's green beans, since the pod is really the bulk of what you're eating. Which is good for me, because green beans are one of my favourite veg.

Some of the threads around here are getting KA-raaaazy with the vitriol. Can't we all just get along? Everyone does Primal a little differently based on how their body responds to this or that. I get tired of the "You must do it this way or you are WRONG" types. Some days I avoid the forums altogether after checking for updates to a couple of threads (yours among them), because the train goes waaay off the track sometimes.

If you want to read a good thread, check out One Night at McCool's in the Journals. Dude is FUNNY.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

True, I've sort of deduced my "meat + raw fruit/veg" formula after MUCH trial and error. I tend to plateau and don't know what the root cause is, but I might look a little more closely at how dairy affects me, although I don't eat much to begin with, just a little bit of raw cheese. I stopped doing my favorite dark chocolate. I gave up on sweet potatoes even though I love them - they go STRAIGHT to my fat cells, apparently, and so does tomato sauce, so I use it sparingly.

How do you cook a beef heart? I have one in my freezer and need to cook it up. Does it need lots of time in the crock pot like tongue does?

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    I've never done a beef heart before, but my research so far has led me to believe that it is best if it is slow-cooked, because it's a lean muscle and therefore not very tender. Apparently though it can be done very much like a pot roast (once you de-valve it, though), so that's what I'm going to try, with some onions, carrots, celery, and spices. It'll probably wait until this weekend, though. When I cook it I'll let you know how it turns out!

I have a feeling that I need to cut out the sweet potatoes myself, and eliminate dark chocolate again. I lost 10 lbs over a six week period when I cut dark choc and red wine, and then I let the chocolate back in and I'm bouncing around the same 2 lbs for the past 4 weeks. No bueno. Once this bit of dark choc is gone, it's gone. Ditto with the sweet potatoes - too many carbs in one shot. Cheese doesn't seem to affect me so bad, but then again I haven't tried to go cold turkey with it either. One of these days I may try a Whole 30 just to see if I can do it. But now is not that time - too many things to do and keep track of.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    I have a feeling that I need to cut out the sweet potatoes myself, and eliminate dark chocolate again. I lost 10 lbs over a six week period when I cut dark choc and red wine, and then I let the chocolate back in and I'm bouncing around the same 2 lbs for the past 4 weeks. No bueno.
    Exact same thing happened to me with dark chocolate. I was only eating maybe 10g carbs of 90% chocolate a day, tops, but somehow it was able to stall me anyway.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast