Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 49

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Still out on my own and doing well financially! It's Friday though, and I don't even feel like it should be Friday. Working with my boss can be a real drag. My boss is the kind of person for whom nothing is ever good enough, who'll make stuff up or say things like "this job looks like you really half-assed it" when you both know you worked hard on it, or if you make a small mistake or auto-correct replaces something with the wrong word and you don't catch it, flies off the handle and calls you an incompetent boob... You know the type. The bad type!

Now I have saved the asses of just about everyone in the company at one time or another, have an entire pile of "omg thank you, you saved my ASS this week" emails, and the folks I haven't gotten to yet - I will eventually. Makes no difference. I have worked with this boss for FOUR YEARS now and have had enough of the disrespect and bad, unprofessional attitude. I've taken on some freelance comic work, which doesn't leave me as much time for blogging or developing new recipes, but I'm recognizing that my situation has to change or I'm going to end up mentally disabled with depression (best case scenario) or on the news (worst case). I'm in better health than I've been in years, but all the sweet potatoes and burpees in the world can't fix this.

The problem with living in this country is that most likely, all the jerks are going to practice the same voter-intimidation they tried with me LAST time, the country will turn red for Empty Suit and what little health insurance I have won't be worth the paper it's written on once Empty Suit turns the gub'mint upside down and shakes whatever was left in its pockets* out for the corporations and churches to scrape up. The only up side that I see there is, I'll be justified in going without health insurance at that point since nobody will have it anyway. I can let Empty Suit deal with the aftermath of my next horrible appendix explosion or whatever else is next, since he's all smart with money and shit.

And I know that most of this board thinks that health insurance = eating broccoli, but take it from someone who's had their innards explode and who's seen bike-riding friends hit by cars, you want to be able to get treatment for the crazy stuff that happens sometimes... even if you ARE lowering your chronic-diseases-of-affluence risk by eating Primally and exercising. Many of us are one gallstone away from financial ruin, we just don't realize it yet.

So yeah, I'm in a grumpy mood, and it's Friday, and I don't even care, because real Amercians drink toxic sludge and breathe noxious fumes; now get back to work, citizen.

Yeah, it's probably from reading the news.

People are still giving these guys their money? Seriously? I'm in the wrong business.

At this point I think I'm qualified to be a senator - at least I don't threaten to throw acid on people I disagree with.

A friend told me Oklahoma was the "last free state" in the Union; I would just like to know where the doctor's rights trump the patient's rights.

And even though I'm an on-fire liberal commie scumbucket, I don't think any government should start mandating portion sizes, or banning any food ingredient short of radioactive waste. That's a slippery slope ticket to Scarytown if you ask me. If people want to eat and drink crap, they should be allowed to - as long as they know it's crap. Which is why I'm all for posting the fat/carb/calorie counts and ingredient lists of foods. Just don't outright BAN shit, you know? Because our favorite primal foods: bacon, butter, eggs, steak - are on a lot of people's target lists as the next foods that should be banned, because they're FATTY, and the anti-fat CW dogma is strong. And then people like ME who do better on ketogenic diets end up in the crosshairs of the next anti-fat legislation.

*Except for the DoD budget, of course

Also, for the record, I walked past TWO buffet tables groaning with food this week: one at a going-away retirement party for a co-worker (the guys who are eligible are leaving this company like rats on a sinking ship) and one at a co-worker's birthday party. I sniffed the cake and had some fruit, that was it. I should get a gold star or something.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Also, for the record, I walked past TWO buffet tables groaning with food this week: one at a going-away retirement party for a co-worker (the guys who are eligible are leaving this company like rats on a sinking ship) and one at a co-worker's birthday party. I sniffed the cake and had some fruit, that was it. I should get a gold star or something.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Yup. So, I signed a book deal for a graphic novel that's coming out next year. Now, for me, as a fair-to-middlin' competent, if rather generically styled, professional comic artist, book deals aren't exactly hard to get, so that's not the big thing. Point me at a script and I can poop out some panels. I draw mostly superhero-fantasy type work (Marvel, DC, etc.) The big thing is that I want this to be a steppingstone up to the Big Thing about which I cannot speak because I have been chasing the Big Thing for oh, about a decade now, and to speak its name is to jinx it forever.

So. Book now. Big Thing, I love you and one day you'll happen and I will be internet-famous for at least 5 minutes in certain circles. Woo!

Today's activity: Took a sanity day off from work because I woke up with a headache (which is now fading) and I just finished up a project yesterday, and those ungrateful gits can live without me for at least a day. I'll take some time to catch up on dumb stuff that I just don't seem to get around to during the week normally, like straightening out the ATM card situation because my bank fucked up and ordering parts for the Vitamix.

Also, bacon + coffee is still the best breakfast ever, short of Huevos Rancheros which I didn't have the ingredients for.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Yup. So, I signed a book deal for a graphic novel that's coming out next year.
    YAAY!!!! *happy dance* It may not seem like a big thing, but still - it's a step toward the Big Thing, and that's important!

What's the genre, if you're allowed to share that? Comic books are frustrating for me, as a format, because they are so short, but I do like graphic novels. Speaking of, have you ever read The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, by Bryan Talbot? If you haven't, you might want to check it out. There is also an Big Finish radio play version available on CD, where the title character is performed by none other than David Tennant. WELL worth a listen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    YAAY!!!! *happy dance* It may not seem like a big thing, but still - it's a step toward the Big Thing, and that's important!

What's the genre, if you're allowed to share that? Comic books are frustrating for me, as a format, because they are so short, but I do like graphic novels. Speaking of, have you ever read The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, by Bryan Talbot? If you haven't, you might want to check it out. There is also an Big Finish radio play version available on CD, where the title character is performed by none other than David Tennant. WELL worth a listen.
    Gay male erotica. This one's going to be a fantasy book. The author labeled it sci-fi, but it's Flash Gordon type stuff. I sorta lump that into fantasy more than sci-fi, really, especially after I had read the script.

I'd much rather do some BDSM/gore work a la Gengoroh Tagame, but the author I signed with this time doesn't write that. I'm ok with doing fantasy though. It gives me an excuse to build castles and spaceships, and keep my skills sharp while I work towards the Big Thing that I want to do.

I haven't read The Adventures of Luther Arkwright, but I'm with you, I prefer the stories that have an END rather than the endless reboots of Batman/Spiderman etc. that get dribbled out in 24-page installments. I never got into mainstream comics for that reason.

Since I have the day off, I'll probably lay out all the erotica scenes. It's easy to pack pages full of twisted bodies, and then I'll go back and pencil the setup/architecture panels later.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Congrats! That is pretty cool I hope you get your 5 min of The Big Thing someday.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations!!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So exciting, congrats!! Getting paid to draw beefcake sounds like a much more ideal job for you than the one you're currently in. I hope it leads to more opportunities so you can get the hell out of there!

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast