Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 47

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I feel you. I have one friend who is Type 2 and doesn't want to hear anything from me.

I wish they'd just give it a shot -- really give it a shot -- for 30 days.

Blergh.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I second Sabine's suggestion in regards to getting a BGL meter and testing postprandial levels after eating different foods.. Walmart has the cheapest meter ($9) and strips(100 for $36).

She might also be more open to change if she reads the info here:
    Blood Sugar 101 "How to Lower Your Blood Sugar" is a good place to start.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I feel you. I have one friend who is Type 2 and doesn't want to hear anything from me.

I wish they'd just give it a shot -- really give it a shot -- for 30 days.

Blergh.
    Diabetes runs rampant in my family. My BIL had a below the knee amputation in January because of uncontrolled diabetes. He made it clear he didn't want to hear about my diet.

My sister awoke to her bedroom full of firemen/paramedics because she took too much insulin, trying to lower sky high (+400) BGL, and wouldn't wake up. She has, in the past, made it clear that since I don't have diabetes I cant be knowledgeable on the subject.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    It's all very Charlie-Brown-ARRRRGH-worthy. I was pre-diabetic. I'm not anymore. But I guess I'm just lucky? Lolwhat?

There's this sort of resignation to being ill that drives me nuts. Oh, it's age. Oh, it's genetic. Oh, I can't fix it, I'm broken. You're not broken! You just need to TRY! Please, please, TRY.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Still here! Still eating on-plan! Just busy lately. Also, computer problems FTL. \o/

My friend with the pre-diabetes is going down the vegan road now. Oh dear, oh dear. I can't say anything of course.

Went slightly crazy and decided I needed a treadmill, then remembered (a) I have no money for a treadmill (b) I have no room for a treadmill (c) there is this place called OUTSIDE and I should be in it. It's just that they opened up a new road that dumps out into the road I used to walk on so the traffic is twice as heavy, and people seem to be driving twice as fast now. Tried crossing the street on my walk to work and nearly got runned over by a cement truck. Dammit. They won't even put a crosswalk in; don't even talk to me about sidewalks, which are expensive and communist. Good decent Americans don't walk, they ride Hoverrounds or SUVs, as Gawd intended.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    My friend with the pre-diabetes is going down the vegan road now. Oh dear, oh dear. I can't say anything of course.
    That is so scary... "My body doesn't process carbs well so I'm going to eat a diet that is basically all carbs! It has to be healthy for me, because it doesn't include lots of protein or fat, which my body processes fine!"

I feel your pain; I would be banging my head against a wall if that were my friend.

My dad, who's been doing ketogenic Atkins while I do Primal, just started dating a vegan woman who's been pressuring him to give up meat. Luckily, he has lost a lot of weight on low-carb while eating bacon and eggs every day, fully realizes how well it works for him, and so he's been standing his ground with her. He told her that he'd be willing to give it a try only if she can come up with low-carb vegan foods that are also high in protein (without requiring consumption of huge amounts) and aren't fake meat. She hasn't been able to come up with anything (obviously).

He also explained how, with a low-carb diet, things like doughnuts, candy, pizza and french fries are off the menu. They're not even an option, so they're not a temptation for him. On a vegan diet, those things are fine, and he'd feel free to load up on them. How can a diet that approves junk food be healthy? Answer: It's not healthy. It's an "ethical" diet, not health diet.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    It's an "ethical" diet, not health diet.
    I'm guessing you've put it in quotes because it's perceived to be an ethical diet when it actually isn't...

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    I'm guessing you've put it in quotes because it's perceived to be an ethical diet when it actually isn't...
    Correct. Personally, I think it's unethical to make humans stop eating meat, which we are biologically designed to eat. Eating other animals is not some sort of moral travesty that we should feel bad about. It's the law of nature. Humans need fat and protein to be healthy, and meat provides exactly that. No other substance provides what meat does in a way that is as pure, bio-available, unprocessed, healthy, and complete. So eat meat and be healthy. I do not feel morally bad about wanting to be healthy, and no one should.

Frankly, if anyone told me to stop eating meat and go back to the horrible life I had before primal, what with the inflammation, completely messed up hormones, extra fat caused by the excess carb (plant) consumption that was pushed on me as healthy and normal yet never made me feel full, hair that came out in handfuls, eczema, and depression/anxiety so severe I was completely housebound and on disability, I would give them a look so withering it could kill weeds.

Don't even fuck with me, vegans.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Woooo! I've been having computer issues and Life Issues (nothing bad, just busy!) Still eating Primal though!

My exercise (seriously, Spub, what is WRONG with you, you've shown before that all you need to drop massive fat is 20 intense minutes of LHT a few times a week) has dropped off to only a few short walks/hill climbs here and there. Say it with me everyone: BAD SPUB!

My appetite's also all over the place - some days I don't want anything, other days I want to EAT THE WORLD.

I got a bad performance review at work, which I felt was undeserved; the overall impression is that they're trying to get rid of me, and that might be for the best, to be honest. I did so well there troubleshooting software and in a more technical support role. When they tried to bump me up into middle management is when things fell apart. I'm going to try and negotiate moving back into my old department; seriously, I can troubleshoot in my sleep. I don't think it will work, but I can try! I've been so focused on work lately (working those damned 80-hour weeks again) that my work/life balance is seriously skewed, and I blame that for slacking off on my exercise. Perhaps I can do a little yoga over lunch? It's so relaxing and might help get me off this little plateau I've gotten on fat-wise (not losing inches and may have gained a couple back) which I 100% completely blame on caffeine overconsumption, stress, and a schedule gone haywire. I've been hitting the coffee extra hard, and it seems like too much has a detrimental effect.

My mother is after me to move in with her, but I perceive it as such a lame loser move that I can't bring myself to do it, even though I know she could use help around the house with her mobility as bad as it is. I'm thinking of it as a possibility, though, if I lost my job. I have some major appliances and things that my siblings could use; a super duper capacity washer and dryer, for example, that my sister (who has little kids and not much money) would just love to have. Decisions, decisions. Well, I'll just have to see how things shake out, won't I? Maybe I can get demoted (haha) back to my old position and things can go back to how they were.

EEE!!!

Few weeks ago, I had bought shirts. I bought some a larger size which I could wear, and some smaller because, I reasoned, I'd eventually shrink into them. I couldn't button them, but eh. Maybe someday. Fast forward to today when I put on a shirt and buttoned it, then thought, "Is this one of the large or small ones?" so I took it off and looked at the tag to find out. Of course it was the smaller size!

Keep in mind, I been eatin' steaks the size of my computer keyboard lately and actually feel bloated because I've been eating so much, and I keep resolving to tone it down a smidge. :P

I can't fit into my Doctor Who tee yet, but someday, someday!

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast