Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 42

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Do you think you could find multiple jobs if you left your regular job? I used to work 3 different (actually 4) part time jobs and it worked out great. I did not have benefits, but health insurance isn't that bad if you are healthy, plus if you IC yourself it is a giant tax deduction. It is not a bad option as people love a part time, benefitless employee and treat you like gold, plus if one job is slow, usually another is busier and people will pay you more per hour. Scheduling isn't bad if your job is something like design and not dependent on others. I did cartography, market research, graphic design and taught riding. I also did some freelance design work that I was paid in cash for.
    That's what I did for a while myself. I worked for myself part-time in 2 areas: illustration and web design. The illustration brought in more money and was actually the more steady of the two. I'm a good illustrator and I'm quick on the turnaround. I also had another part-time job working at the YMCA and loved it. I didn't have any health benefits though, which can suck if you have a sudden illness or injury crop up. Then the recession hit and I ran out of money - I was seriously facing a future of panhandling and/or couch surfing. My current job fell in my lap and I took it. It doesn't suit me very well, obviously. But financially it got me back up on my feet.

I currently have multiple job offers/opportunities on the table. The thing is, I've got to keep the income steady and I need health insurance. But lately the health insurance I've been getting through my employer sucks. It's pretty much "no insurance unless something major happens and then you're covered after a certain amount".

What I might start doing is slowly ramp up the business again, whenever I have the time, and then break free from the office job at some point if they don't lay me off first. I have a little money in savings but I don't want to blow it. The place where I work is going through tough times and I can't see them keeping it going much longer the way they are currently doing things, so layoffs are always a possibility.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    For Insurance, I'm self insured- it is $130 a month for a high deductible policy - $3500 is my deductible. My SO has a similar policy, but to add me onto his would be over $250 a month. I pay less than most employer benefit people pay in co-pay. If, *if* you have pretty much flawless health and are in the right state, being self insured is not bad. Keep in mind, I have not seen an MD in years, no meds, no illness, no conditions. The second something happens though all bets are off. Now my friend in CA is over 40, with many health issues- similar plan is like $450 a month.

It's not as bad as the media makes it seem as long as you are healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    For Insurance, I'm self insured- it is $130 a month for a high deductible policy - $3500 is my deductible. My SO has a similar policy, but to add me onto his would be over $250 a month. I pay less than most employer benefit people pay in co-pay. If, *if* you have pretty much flawless health and are in the right state, being self insured is not bad. Keep in mind, I have not seen an MD in years, no meds, no illness, no conditions. The second something happens though all bets are off. Now my friend in CA is over 40, with many health issues- similar plan is like $450 a month.

It's not as bad as the media makes it seem as long as you are healthy.
    I'm over 40 and I have pre-existing conditions. I am also morbidly obese; my current weight breaks the BMI chart. I have high blood pressure (although that's most likely work-related). Insurance companies won't take my money; I've tried to give it to them.

Fat-shaming on MDA: This is never ok in my book.

Most of us fatties have been shamed our entire lives for being the "wrong" body type and we are aware, PAINFULLY aware, of our shape and size. Our bodies remind us every day - our bones and joints ache, furniture and vehicles may be hard to fit into, and we have to drape our bodies in ridiculous, ugly clothing that resembles a circus tent. And of course there are the diets, the constant diets that never work. It's humiliating. Every single day it's humiliating; so how do you think it might feel to someone who may be very overweight - perhaps even so overweight that they must use a mobility device such as a cane, walker or scooter - to come here looking for advice on primal living and they're actually closer to finally, really taking control of that rampant insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome for the first time in their life, only to be confronted with the same crappy treatment they've received their entire life from parents, friends, doctors and well-meaning (and not so well-meaning) strangers? Just think for a second the impact that might have. Are you squashing the next dramatic MDA success story?

Remember, even a huge fatty that you so contemptuously refer to as an "it" may someday figure out how to cure their own obesity and accomplish a record weight loss.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Yikes! You must have been reading some really negative people.
    This makes me sad. There are always people being idiots, and even downright mean.
    Does it work to report these kind of posts? I'm not sure what standards are, for deleting things. Seems like sometimes, meanness isn't enough. I'm going to try, next time I see one, though.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Spubba, our state has a program for people who are difficult to insure or uninsurable- I imagine yours does too. Just something to think about if you do end up uninsured. It's sad that something as common and treatable as high blood pressure makes you uninsurable. Hell, I never run my chiro thru insurance because that will trigger a rate increase.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Saw what you referred to. Pretty harsh.

PoppaCap is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spubba View Post
    Fat-shaming on MDA: This is never ok in my book.

Most of us fatties have been shamed our entire lives for being the "wrong" body type and we are aware, PAINFULLY aware, of our shape and size. Our bodies remind us every day - our bones and joints ache, furniture and vehicles may be hard to fit into, and we have to drape our bodies in ridiculous, ugly clothing that resembles a circus tent. And of course there are the diets, the constant diets that never work. It's humiliating. Every single day it's humiliating; so how do you think it might feel to someone who may be very overweight - perhaps even so overweight that they must use a mobility device such as a cane, walker or scooter - to come here looking for advice on primal living and they're actually closer to finally, really taking control of that rampant insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome for the first time in their life, only to be confronted with the same crappy treatment they've received their entire life from parents, friends, doctors and well-meaning (and not so well-meaning) strangers? Just think for a second the impact that might have. Are you squashing the next dramatic MDA success story?

Remember, even a huge fatty that you so contemptuously refer to as an "it" may someday figure out how to cure their own obesity and accomplish a record weight loss.
    Saw your reply in the other thread - thanks for the wake up call. I can be a bit insensitive occasionally.
    We are all on the same journey and I don't want to be condescending just because I'm further along than some.

Jim

Thanks PoppaCap!

I share the rage and frustration many others feel when I watch my much-loved family members, and other people too - strangers, even! - destroying themselves with food. Yes, there will always be that person in the supermarket who's driving the little cart with the basket full of junk food. I get so angry because I want to run over to them and shake them, and say, "Dude! Life doesn't have to be like this! There's a better way!" So I definitely know where the insensitive comments and behavior comes from. Especially knowing that most people, regardless of their fitness level, would not be receptive to the PB. Even David Smith, the guy who lost 400 pounds without drugs or surgery, had to hit an all-time low point before he was willing to make a lifestyle change.

What we need to remember is that the big guy in the electric cart has the freedom, and should have the freedom, to choose to eat what he wants to eat - even if it's not what is best for him. Maybe the big guy hasn't hit his low point yet. Maybe he'll hit it in the future, maybe he won't. It's all up to the big guy. I am certainly NOT going to make his life even more miserable than it already is by shaming him.

I know a lot of people are down on Richard Simmons because he's all crazy acting - but I admire the man because he never. stops. encouraging. people to take charge of their lives and their weight. If I had to pick between 2 people to sit next to on a 6-hour flight, I would choose Richard Simmons any fuckin' day over some of these insensitive cockholes I keep reading on the MDA boards.

We're all on the same journey, just at different points. I'm kind of in the middle. Other people are further ahead than me. That's ok. And other people are just getting started, they're total newbs and they're still figuring things out. That's ok too! Even if the 400 pound lady has only lost 10 pounds so far, IT IS STILL 10 POUNDS!!! Why would anyone deserve that kind of shame if they are giving it a shot? You get the feeling that if a 200-pounder walks into the store to buy their bacon and their coconut oil, they ought to get angry stares and shaming from the self-righteous douche canoes who don't realize that 200-pounder used to be a 600-pounder and will soon be a 180-pounder once she goes through $40,000 worth of surgery to get the extra skin cut off. YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE THE OTHER PERSON IS IN THEIR LIFE JOURNEY, so stop the judgin', folks!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry this has hit a raw nerve for you.

Unfortunately, as paleo/pb/whatever becomes more mainstream, the arseholes begin to outnumber the good guys (or just shout louder). I just responded to something similar on paleohacks Were Paleo women "plump" or lean and thin? - PaleoHacks.com

I posted these links, which you might appreciate (I did )
    Paleo Women are Phat Ancestralize Me!
    I’m Calling for a New Paradigm | Go Kaleo
    My Body Image | Paleo Plan

And as an aside, I <3 bustygirlcomics.com

Page 42 of 54 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast