Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 39

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    This is the kind of thing that I torture my co-workers with.

OMG!I had a great laugh from this..too funny!Thanks for sharing

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    The dino-cartoon is great
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    Okay,
    I have decided from reading your journal that I am going to dive in with sardines..maybe not today but sometime soon..picked up some today and think it will be a good way to get some fish into me..oh..best bit..they are super cheap!

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I'm really into the sardines these days. I have always bought cans of tuna fish. Well, that stopped after I ate my first can of sardines; I was like WHY HAS THIS NOT BEEN IN MY LIFE BEFORE. I think they taste SO MUCH BETTER than the tuna fish that I've been eating since childhood, and the texture is interesting too if you get the kind with the bones, it's kinda crunchy (and you know you're getting mega-doses of calcium) but the other day I had a teenytiny bone stab me right under the gum and it took me like 20 minutes to work it out of there with a toothpick. Oh well, still better than tuna. I banished the tuna from my house forever! Goodbye, boring old stupid bland tuna!

And the best part is, they come in single serving packs that are easy to open and they only cost a couple of bucks each! I order cases of Cento boneless/skinless (in the yellow cans) off Amazon's "Subscribe and Save" feature to get the most bang for my buck and I eat a few cans of these a week. They're so delicious!

Oh and every now and then I'll buy kipper snacks, the kind with the bones left in, and sometimes I'll get a can of salmon. Those are more expensive but it adds a little variety.

Someone just commented elsewhere on the board that maybe for some of us, our tastes are changing and we're beginning to eat grown-up food. I think that person is right. The SAD is, when you think about it, an infantilized diet - boneless meat nuggets, no organ meats, no strong flavors and everything doused in corn syrup to make it more palatable.

How nice that so many of us are making our taste buds "grow up" finally!

Now if only I can get over my "liver" thing...

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Tuna is boring, yes, if you're not sure what to do with it. I like to chop up some celery and onion and mix the tuna with that and a bit of mayo and pepper. Wrap that with some sort of lettuce leaf or eat straight out of the bowl. Yum!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Ooo I know the best thing to do with liver...

Give it to the dog *ba-dum-tish*

Good luck with your comics, though I'm sure you won't need luck to succeed

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    I may yet become brave enough to try sardines. I think I would like the taste, anyway. I'm a huge fan of fish sauce, and that's straight-up liquified, putrefied anchovies that sat in a clay pot in the sun for up to a year. MMMM!

I think it's the texture that makes me nervous about sardines. And the idea of eating whole small animals without knowing what's inside them. I read a horror story a while back and now I'm terrified.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    Tuna is boring, yes, if you're not sure what to do with it. I like to chop up some celery and onion and mix the tuna with that and a bit of mayo and pepper. Wrap that with some sort of lettuce leaf or eat straight out of the bowl. Yum!
    I have 2 cans of tuna left over after the family left. I'll eat them soon, probably (they're taking up valuable cabinet space that I could be using to store sardines and salmon). My favoritest thing to do with tuna fish is mix it with chopped-up celery, chopped-up onion, and chopped-up hard boiled eggs, walnuts or pecans, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. My only problem is that it's a lot of trouble for something that's only going to trigger me to want to eat crackers with it (I make do with lettuce, but it's a cracker-trigger).

It's so much easier to pop open a sardine can and dump Louisiana hot sauce into it, eat it straight out of the can, and save myself the chopping, mixing, dirty dishes (except for a fork), and cracker-cravings.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I may yet become brave enough to try sardines. I think I would like the taste, anyway. I'm a huge fan of fish sauce, and that's straight-up liquified, putrefied anchovies that sat in a clay pot in the sun for up to a year. MMMM!

I think it's the texture that makes me nervous about sardines. And the idea of eating whole small animals without knowing what's inside them. I read a horror story a while back and now I'm terrified.
    If you're worried about the texture, try the boneless skinless sardines first. Those get pretty well cleaned of any scary things, although I've noticed the occasional bone or piece of skin will slip through - if they do, keep in mind they're perfectly edible and good for you. The modern food industry would have you believe that the human digestive system is a delicate flower that can only handle carefully washed and cleaned muscle meats and nuggety things. Keep in mind, we're omnivores that evolved eating anything that wouldn't eat us first, and that includes dirt, insects, carrion, tendons, and marrow. I remind myself of that whenever I'm tempted to spit out silverskin or gristle (my teeth suck, so I swallow that stuff whole).

But I know how food textures can really ruin a dish. I can't stand the mouthfeel of water chestnuts, for example. They make me gag. I never know how those things managed to catch on, anyway, they feel so nasty in your teeth!
    Last edited by Spubba; 04-15-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast