Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: One Fat Chick page 11

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Spubba,
    I am just back after a break from primal that seems to have gone on far too long.While I was flipping through posts looking for someone in a similar weight situation I came across your journal..and then I got roped in because it's bloody funny.
    Wish you luck on this journey and look forward to reading more of your journal.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Oh, you mean me?

I've only really dropped 10 pounds since going primaleo, and I'm bouncing between a size 10 and a size 12.

I feel great, though, and my cholesterol numbers are the best they've ever been. I'm no longer experiencing hypoglycemia, my period's evened out, I don't get sleepy anymore, my skin is (mostly) clear, and everyone thinks I "look younger". And honestly, with my thyroid condition, it's a wonder if I ever lose weight at all. The fact that I gained 6 pounds on my (non-primal) honeymoon, and then successfully lost it again within two months, is a minor miracle with my body.

But I'm not sure that's a compelling enough story (everyone wants massively awesome before and after photos), since it's almost all internal. I would love to get down to 130 (my dreamy goal weight boyfriend), but at this point I'm just happy to be feeling better and more active.
    See I think that's why Mark doesn't use that kind of story, but ti's still something nice to read about. I like to know that everyone can be helped by some kind of primaleo (love that phrase btw) lifestyle or way of eating, it's reassuring for people who are struggling in some fashion. I still want to read about it, even if it's not massively impressive or shocking, or someone wasn't saved from the 'brink of death' or whatever.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone. I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

If I were a "Biggest Loser" contestant, I'd have failed out by now, since all those assholes care about is the scale. But you know, I don't take much stock in professional fat-shaming anyway. I weigh the same, but I'm sitting here in my "tight" pants and they're not digging into my flesh in awkward and embarrassing ways. My body "feels" different - and I know y'all know what I'm talking about, you go to scratch your ass and you notice that there's less ass to scratch. Or you look in the mirror and see a difference. I figure that scale will move when it damn well feels like it (and I have a shitty scale anyway, it makes a better doorstop really). So if I'm not a contestant in a television fat-camp, why sweat it?

Maybe someday I'll be one of Mark's dramatic success stories and maybe I won't. It would be cool as hell if I was. But even if I'm not, I'm experiencing other benefits of Primal that I had no idea I'd be enjoying if you'd told me back in 2011 when I started it.

• Better mental clarity and focus
    • Better energy
    • Less dizziness, no heart palpitations (or other symptoms of blood sugar fluctuations - I read here that there are others here like me who get palps after eating too many carbs! Wow I'm not the only one!)
    • Better blood pressure
    • Overall better feeling of well-being
    • Not to mention the doctor quit riding my ass. I've been tested for diabetes and a bunch of stuff, and everything's come up clean. Doc may be CW-oriented but you can't bitch about the results when they come back from the lab.

Not to mention the freedom from the carb addiction that takes so many forms and can dominate so many lives, especially for those of us who are genetically susceptible to carb-slavery.

Mark's success stories should definitely include those who have just enjoyed a better quality of life after trying the PB and not necessarily the fatsos who got skinny on it, but of course there aren't any super dramatic before and after photos to garner lots of attention...

I've been having a hard time at my job the past couple of weeks and thank goodness I'm not an emotional eater or I'd have binged myself into oblivion by now. It could be that the stress is stalling my weight loss, in which case it'll probably ease up soon. I hope so anyway - lots of stress for a long time isn't good for anybody.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of less ass...

When mine got smaller and the bones were less covered in flesh, one day I kept thinking I was sitting on something and kept getting up to check my chair after sittting down. It was too funny when I realised it was my own butt sans padding.

Then there's the nights when you wake up because something is poking you in the knee and you realize that it's your other knee because the fat that was padding your thighs has left and now your knees kinda knock together. Next you realize you can cross your legs "like a lady". Yep, the list goes on and on.

Enjoy your journey!

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Hi Spubba;

How are you? Hope the work thing is smoothing out--had a rough week myself and wonder if something is in the air.
    It sounds like you've been having a whole lot of good results from Primal eating. I'm really noticing how the fat makes me not hungry for hours. Like you said, it's a kind of freedom. I can't believe how long I've been waiting for the next meal.

Hi all, sorry I have been busy the last few days! Work has been crazy and I haven't had any "me" time for a while. I'll be glad when we finish up this big project! Sorry I'm not very funny tonight, I'm tired! I worked 12 hours today!

I'm trying something different (yes, amid all the craziness) this week! I'm trying to buy more natural foods, organic and pastured/grass finished when I can get it. I'm testing out a theory that I will eat less/consume fewer calories if the food is very high quality and tasty. So far my theory is proving to be correct!

I'm also enjoying the best bacon I ever had... this new store called EarthFare opened up over by where I live, and it's my new favorite place, because they have a lot of stuff I used to have to hunt high and low for. I guess I can't go back to buying the regular supermarket packages of bacon anymore because EarthFare spoiled me with theirs... I found out that bacon is NOT supposed to be salty at all. Yup, I'm ruined. RUINED. What I really want is to get all the lardy bacon ends, fry 'em up and eat THOSE. Yes, it's OPPOSITE DAY or something - I used to hate the lardy bacon ends - but I find that with the good bacon, what I really crave is just that greasy simmered pork fat, they can keep the lean parts. Does anybody else here just want to nom on bacon ends? I feel like an Eskimo eating all this good crunchy rindy fat!

I'm making sure to get plenty of fat in my diet, which fuels me up for these long workdays. Coconut milk, ghee, bacon, and avocado especially, but mostly coconut milk. Tonight also I made a batch of coconut butter (like peanut butter, only with coconut)!

I dropped 2 pounds in the last couple of days (my weight can do that sometimes) and my "tight" pants are getting more loose now. I also managed to get in a round of LHT yesterday.

Some worrying news - a co-worker who sits next to me (smokes, hates to cook, loves fast food) has been complaining of chest pain. She left early for the day saying she felt terrible that she had to leave us high and dry during a big rush but she simply had to see her cardiologist. (We all said yes, please go!) I hope she's ok.

And hearing her talk about her heart and how worried it has her is Reason #324524354 that I'm doing this. I don't want that to be me in 20 years, I don't want to "have a cardiologist".

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Is there an acronym "NFK"? As far as not wanting to "have a cardiologist," NFK!!!

I hear you on the bacon. I stopped by a rural/state highway meat-and-rural-goodies place and bought their hickory-smoked bacon, and thought, "Oh, wow... this is goood" (quickly followed by "Aw, crap.... that was 8.99/pound).

And darn it--your journal wasn't near as funny as I totally expect from you. Fun, fun, fun!!! That's what I expect. (that's a winky, btw)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Hopefully it's not a heart thing. My boyfriend had chest pains and it turns out it was something related to his digestive system (colon, specifically). Somehow you feel that in your chest! I would put money on it being a wheat/sugar problem for him, but he won't ever go primal/paleo unless his doctor suggests it =\
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I never really liked bacon until I had good bacon - and you're right - it should not be so salty! I only buy the good stuff now - I may have a piece or two, but my hubby and daughter often fight over it (my daughter makes a meal of it).

Keep up the good fight!

Whoa, hey, the site's back! I had practically given up posting here.

Not that I had much time to miss it - the problem with the current job market is that the attitude of every employer out there, including mine, is "They should just be thankful that they HAVE a job", and they'll unapologetically load you up with boatloads of work and refuse to pay you overtime. Siiiigh.

Because of work, or perhaps because of the weather which suddenly turned nasty, I must have accidentally cut way back on my activity level. My weight jumped up something like 8 pounds - which for someone like me, can be terrifying - although I didn't notice my clothes getting tighter or anything like that. Still, an 8-pound gain in 2 days can signal that something is wacky. Stress? Probably. Hormones? Maybe. Diet? Eh... I'm leaning towards it not being diet-related, because I'm still pretty close to strict Paleo. But at any rate, exercise is good for reducing stress, which I've had more than my share of, so I made it a point to do my walks and include some hills; and sure enough, the scale started creeping in the other direction again. I almost got ran over like 6 times last night, but at this point I'm fairly agile and can jump out of the way - seriously, is it that big of a deal to build some fuckin' sidewalks around here? Grrrr. Because of my work schedule, I usually can't make it out until well after dark. I have a little LED flashlight in my car and next time I think I'll carry that with me when I walk.

There are times when I really resent being a soulless cubicle drone. I do it for the steady paycheck, which I love, but it goes against everything I'm wired to be - I'd love to just do my art for a living, or run a food truck (seriously!), or do something else fun. I had a job in a kitchen once, baking bread (yes, I know) and I wished I'd never left it; yes my feet and back could hurt like crazy at the end of a long day, but I loved the physicality of it, using my hands and producing something tangible.

Anyway, I learned this week that you can grill a perfectly acceptable steak on an electric grill in the living room, but open a window first. And that you can make your own perfectly acceptable steak rub out of whatever you've got in the house. And that the results will taste just fine - maybe not the best steak on the whole planet, but definitely above, say, Outback quality.

I also asked myself again why I ever used to buy mayonnaise, because the homemade stuff tastes so much more amazing (and you can use it as a base for other sauces too). Maybe because we've become so detached from our food that really creating something is a bit of a lost art, and it never occurred to me before that mayonnaise only takes 5 minutes and a blender, pickles take 10 minutes and a jar, and ketchup takes 5 minutes and a saucepan - and that by making these things myself, I can control the sugar and salt content of my food. And I'm about to log off of here, and drive to the farm to buy real eggs - I can't usually do this because it's 20 miles away, but I took the day off; after all that overtime I think I'm due for a break!

I'll be funny again someday when I'm not getting hassled so much at work...

Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast