Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MusicMama's Primal Journal - Rockin' a New Way of Life page

MusicMama is offline Member

Thumbs up MusicMama's Primal Journal - Rockin' a New Way of Life

Primal Fuel
    OK that is a cheesy blog title, I'm sorry. /o\ I don't blame you if you never read here again!

*sheepish grin*

*wave*

After lurking for awhile, I decided to jump in on Mark's latest New Year challenge and post a journal. My goal is to MOVE. I've actually been eating primal for well over a year. I was put on a primal diet (or very close to it) through a hypnotist. More on that later. Anyway, I can't tell you how much weight I've lost because I don't own a scale. I'm one of those who gets too hung up on numbers and I'm not allowed to use it as part of the hypnosis. So, all I do is measure and go by how my clothes fit.

I was jammed like a sausage into my largest pants - some a size 20 and one size 22. I'm now in 18s and many are quite baggy. My original and newest measurements (in inches) are:

Hips: 54/48
    Waist: 43/39
    chest: 44/39
    Legs: I didn't take these originally so only have the latest for the tree trunks
    Left thigh (measured 7in above knee to get meatiest part!): 27
    Right thigh: 26.5

My original bra was a 42 DD and now I have a 38C. (This may be the only part of the plan where MusicDad has reservations.)

Sounds great, eh? However, I really haven't changed in size in quite awhile. Major plateau! I've been very sedentary since breaking my leg/ankle over a year ago. It is healed and I have no excuse. This challenge is the push I need to start moving again and hopefully kick in some more weight loss.

A little about me: I am 40 years old and have 2 boys, ages 11 and 5. When MusicDad and I get a chance to escape, we go see live music. Nothing makes me happier than rocking out a show, preferably from the front row. \m/

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Rocking out is my favorite exercise with my husband! Welcome

chelle06 is offline Member
    Hi there Musicmama! Wow you have really lost some inches! Way to go! I also have 2 boys (teens) and love love love music but I'm 41 Nice to meet you!

Thanks for stopping by - always fun to meet fellow music lovers!

My goal of MOVING is going well this week. I've kept track of what I've done elsewhere (before starting this) so I want to log it - and get credit!

Sunday:
    3 miles of a Leslie Sansone walking working out. Surprisingly fun especially when walking outside isn't so fun this time of year

Monday: Did LHT workout for first time. OUCH!! Did 2 sets of these:
    30 knee pushups (Really became a struggle around 18-20)
    50 full squats (I have decent lower strength so this was not difficult)
    20 elevated jack knife press
    Hand/knee plank (level 1) - at this point, my arms were so weak I couldn't attempt anything harder!
    No equipment for pullups yet

Tuesday: Planned to do walking but little dude fell on stairs and split his chin open! Had to take him to urgent care to get it glued back together. Didn't do a good job of reducing stress that night.

Wednesday: Um, $*#), I am soooo sore!! That LHT workout kinda killed me - my upper body is cursing me!!!

Thursday: Feeling more human. I go to a monthly women's group and this month's theme was Zumba, so I did a 40 minute class tonight. It was fun though really confusing when you don't know the moves! I moved for 40 minutes so that must count for something!

Food today was good and tasty too:
    B: 2 fried eggs
    L: grilled chicken stuffed with spinach/bacon/cheese & roasted beets
    D: Grass-fed beef and mashed cauliflower

Went out to get food today (day off from work!) and a local farmer who raises grass-fed beef has a special where she is giving away beef bones. Grabbed 3 bags of those puppies (plus lots of ground beef and steaks) - yay! \o/ Can't wait to make some stock!

At the regular grocery store I bought sardines! Sardines?!?! Seriously?? Just the thought of them kinda grosses me out. I like fish a lot but not fishy-fish, ya know what I mean? These had attractive packaging and caught my eye. Wild Planet brand. One is in marinara sauce, one is in olive oil and lemon.

The question is: Will these cans EVER be opened? Do people eat them straight out of the can? I've been eating primal over a year and a half and it never occurred to me to eat these. I must be feeling inspired or something.

I haven't done any specific movement today...however, this is the first time I've actually sat down since 10am this morning, aside from driving. It is 7PM here. That's gotta count for something! Going to a car show tomorrow so I expect to be walking for several hours. I plan to work out if we are home before 8PM. (We're leaving the house at 7:30am for Oldest Dude's basketball game. I could cry at the thought that we have to be out of the house even earlier on a Saturday than during the week. Seems like an injustice!)

The only struggle I had today was staring at the jars of wonderful organic sunflower butter. I know it is legal but the one at the store does have a little added sugar. Plus, I can eat like a half a jar in a sitting. So....best to leave that bad boy alone for awhile. I also longingly stare at my kids' peanut butter. It has only been since I've eaten primal that PB has even looked appealing to me (aside from Reese's PB Christmas trees - evil in a pretty holiday shape!!). I think it is mostly that it is something quick and easy to grab. I haven't taken a scoop out of a jar in at least a few weeks so I'll consider that a victory. I don't tend to get hungry in between meals but it is apparent I should keep something like boiled eggs around to grab quickly.

It's been between 0 and 10 degrees today and the kids were imploding and at each others' throats. Mama tried hard not to do the same. Remember those old Calgon commercials? Calgon, take me away!

We did walk around for 3 hours at the car show yesterday. Not exactly getting my heart rate up at all, but better than sitting on my couch or at the computer. We stayed much later than planned and needed to find dinner on the highway. We really lucked out and found a Boston Market at a rest stop. Ended up with decent roasted chicken.

Did my LHT workout today. I can already tell I will be sore the next couple of days. Can't wait for the pushups to get easier again. G'night!

Oddly, I didn't get very sore from LHT. I expected similar to the first round. I'll consider that a good thing! I knew I was going out tonight with friends so I knew I wouldn't get to do my walking workout. To try to at least do something, I went up and down the stairs (4 flights) at work for as long as my legs could take it. I didn't count. Just up and down a couple of times. Diet has been great. Went out tonight and had some of the best wings ever - salt & pepper! Sooo tasty. Only one alcoholic beverage: vodka with seltzer and lime. Water rest of evening.

Trying to decide when to measure again. Don't want to do it too soon because I want to see progress and don't want to be disappointed...

Shower Reflections...(I do a lot of thinking in the shower!)

I started getting fat my junior/senior year of high school. Up until that point, I had been very active in sports. Once I stopped, the weight piled on. I was eating a lot of low-fat, high carb food, as it was all the rage in 88/89. My Mom was a big proponent of Weight Watchers. (Although, back then it did a better job of limiting grains, IIRC.) I was under a lot of pressure to do well in school and I turned to food. On the days my Mom worked, I'd come home to an empty house and just binge. Chips, crackers, pepperoni, popcorn...those are what stand out the most in my memory.

I remember gaining a lot of weight and having to go clothes shopping with my mother, which was absolutely torturous. She wasn't exactly non-judgmental. I finally joined WW, the first of many times to come. I think I've joined - and failed - WW at least 15 times in 20 years. Never made it more than 2-3 months at the most. Of course, I'd gain it all back fairly quickly.

Anyway, in the shower I was thinking that if only I could get my hands on Marty and Doc's DeLorean and go back to 1988 and give myself a copy of PB. Imagine how different my life would've been? Might have been able to avoid the rollercoaster of CW/WW, maybe not have turned into a full-blown sugar addict...who knows? Just grateful that I have PB and this way of eating now. Feels so good to have control.

Working from home today (gotta love technology) so I'm going to do a 5 mile walking workout. Yay! One thing I haven't figured out yet is sprinting. The ground outside is covered in snow and ice.

Let's play a game of Good News/Bad News, shall we?

Forgot that oldest son had a band concert last night and didn't take anything out of the freezer (plus I'm in desperate need of groceries)

Bad News: I stopped and picked up pizza

Good News: It was loaded with chicken, garlic and artichokes (yum!)

Bad News: I ate a lot more cheese than I normally would

Good news: I didn't eat any of the crust! (I haven't had any bread in almost 2 years)

I'll consider that a win.

Now for some GREAT news....I measured this morning! Not a huge difference but it's only been 9 days

Not sure how I should abbreviate this but let's go with SM (Starting Measurement), LM (Last Measurement), CM (Current Measurement)

SM/LM/CM
    Hips: 54/48/47.5
    Waist: 43/39/38
    chest: 44/39/38
    Legs:
    Left thigh: -/27/26.5
    Right thigh: -/26.5/26

\o/

Off to LHT, aka show shoveling!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Made a couple of recipes from Mark's PB Cookbook and they were SO good! I made the Primal Pot Roast and everyone loved it - my parents included. They absolutely loved the "jus" that was created with the onions and meat juices...it resembled Franch Onion soup. I'm blanking on the name of the other recipe but I think it was Chinese 5 Spice Beef and Broccoli. MusicDad devoured that one. I loved the ginger flavor. Can't wait to make both of them again!

I was a bit lazier than planned this weekend. I was a bit blah and felt rather bump-on-a-log-ish. I plan to move tonight, even if it is just doing my LHT workout. I need to go read the exercise forum to get ideas on sprinting in winter. I haven't done anything with that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast