Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Meegeek page

Meegeek is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Meegeek

Shop Now
    Ok so here we go. We (my wife and I) started on 1/1/12, but started poking around the forums and this looked like a great idea. I am using LoseIt app on my iPhone religiously so will post those meals that really stand out. My wife is a great cook and has found a lot of fantastic recipes for the plan. Last night she did homemade baba gnoush for instance. No pita, but still great with celery.

I am usually up at 6am to workout, but today was a break day. I have a elliptical in my home office and a Tower 200 so the rest of the week I am up early and hitting it. Looking at Primal Fitness routines and blending my workouts with this philosophy. For instance, I work in a 3rd floor office, bathroom is down the hall. When I go to the bathroom I take the stairs on one side of the building down to the first floor then back up the other set of stairs (sprinting), rinse and repeat on the way back. My wife and I have started walking again and have thrown some sprints in over the last couple of days.

B: Primal Fuel - Chocolate
    L: BAS (big ass salad) spinach and mixed greens, steak, artichoke hearts, nuts, balsamic vinegar, olive oil
    D: will be a surprise, but I am hankering for a steak

Onward, into the breech.....

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, Meegeek! What are your goals and current stats? Does your wife have a journal?

Thanks, really glad to be here. No my wife has not started a journal, not sure if she will, but I will try to get her going. She is a fantastic cook and could really contribute with recipes. Although she has very little weight to lose (looking to tone up), I think she is going through a rough patch due to the change in diet. A lot of the Primal lifestyle goes against all the nutrition information she has amassed over a long time. She is going for it actually doing well. I told her this morning that I would have a tough time doing this without her.

Goals;

- 20 lbs (230 to 210); not that 210 is a goal, more of starting point. I am 6'2" and my doctor thinks 210 is to low. I am going to let my body decide the end result by keeping on the blueprint.
    - Lower Cholesterol. Just started on a statin and this is bothering me. Have resisted for some time now. It is not that my levels are that high, it is really a problem with the ration (LDL:HDL) that has my doctor worried. Will continue to be tested, with the end goal of getting off the meds asap.
    - My older daughter is getting married, in Pakistan, sometime this year. Want to make her proud.
    - Learn to play the guitar; I know this sounds a bit strange, but I am using it as a evening activity, each night, to spend some quality focus time. I love to play video games and this has become a happy (and healthy) alternative.
    - And last but not least, I am challenging my self to get the best shape of my life. When I was 21 I was a diver in the Navy and worked with Marine Recons. Was in pretty good shape. I want to see if I can best that now at 57. Big challenge I know, but back then I really did not care or appreciate what I had. This time will be different.

Weight; 223.2 (This is day 12 and started at 230) First day with no significant weight loss, but not worried

B: Primal Fuel - Chocolate
    L: BAS
    Snacks; Beef jerkey (store bought, but looking at making my own) and nuts (almonds and macs)
    D: Always a pleasant surprise, did not get the steak I was looking for last night, but my wife made her famous pork chile verde, instead of rice we had it over cabbage. OMG it was good and totally primal.

Onward, into the breech....

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    210 at 6'2 is not too low at all. Forgive me, but your doc is loopy. What is your bodyfat percentage? Pork Chili Verde over cabbage sounds delicious! Lucky man! Maybe your wife would let you share her recipe?

Yes, I think my doc a bit out of touch. I made it down to 205 a few years ago on Nutrisystems and he told me that I looked like POW!! Anyway he is a good guy, but I want to get off the statins and drop my BP, regardless. 210 is not so much a goal as it is a jumping off point. I am planning on more, but want my body to decide. Truth be told, I have spent a lot of time looking at the before and after pictures on the Success Stories thread and came away with a blown mind and a healthy dose of inspiration. I guess 210 is when I take the training wheels off.

D: we were kind of wiped tonight so it was scrambled eggs, bacon, and baby spinach sauted in garlic.
    WO: 20 min elliptical this morning, 4 sets of stairs @ work. Added sprint's to the elliptical today too!!
    S: more almonds, maybe a half a cup total before and after dinner

I am thinking of walking to work, about 3 miles each way, area times a week.

Have been spending a lot of free time in the "Before & After" thread in Success Stories. I am totally blown away. It is one thing to set goals, but when you can see that they are achievable, with results that far outreach the visualization of the goal. Wow......

This is day 13, saw a .2 lb drop from yesterday. So moving in the right direction. Having some issues with regularity, not irregular, just not going as much has I was used to. Going to see what the site has on this.

The other thing I resolved today is to stop using Splenda. Was using a pack in my tea and coffee, but it just seems wrong. Don't know if my sweet tooth is being dulled down from the change in diet or what, but stopping just the same.

B; Primal Fuel - Vanilla (like better then the chocolate)
    S; Beef Jerky - the mid morning snack is a great and gives me a real boost.
    L; BAS s/roast chicken
    S; 4 mac nuts and a handful of almonds
    D; Wonder mac encrusted Turbot, topped with handmade papaya salsa, with roasted Brussel sprouts (in tamari) with cabbage salad dressed in sesame oil courtesy of my daughter who cooks like a pro
    S; almonds and dark (85%) chocolate

Ready for the weekend.
    Last edited by Meegeek; 01-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Have been checking weight every morning, post shower and was surprised (and maybe a little worried) that I had gone up .4 (yes, 4/10's) of a pound. Was down to 222.8 from the 223.6 of yesterday, this morning. Maybe weighing myself daily is not a good idea, but I just have made it part of my goal. Besides the engineer in me can't help it. Must Have Data!! I have hit plateaus in past CW diets and they drive me crazy. Have to stop obsessing about this just the same.

My wife happily came out of the bathroom this morning having lost 5 for the week, she is not weighing everyday and only once per week. So there you
    go.

Yesterday was the lowest in terms of calorie count for almost 3 weeks.

B; Primal Fuel
    L; Primal Fuel w/ berries
    S; Cup of almonds and some jerky
    D; Primal Beef Stew with mashed cauliflower

Was feeling very satisfied and stuffed all night last night, not just full but happily so.

Lots of exercise too;

- Couple of our 10 minute power walks
    - Full set on Tower 200, need to start incorporating push-ups in the routine.

Taking is easy today, but some walking in the mall and elsewhere in store.

Onward, into the breach...

Monday and still stuck at 223. Still not obsessing, just reporting for journal. Actually feel great, woke up refreshed and motivated to try something different today. My wife and I were talking yesterday about the higher levels of energy and overall sense of well being that is coming with this change in lifestyle. It is not just our imagination and it is really a different feeling. Need to search the forums to see if this is something others have reported on, is it temporary, or, something we can expect going forward.

Going to break this plateau, not ready for IF but going primal fuel today with some jerky to keep things chewy.

B; PF
    S; Jerky
    E; 20 minutes Elliptical w/ 10 sec sprints every 4 minutes. Can really feel the impact of the sprints/recovery/sprint cycles.
    L; PF w/ some jerky and almonds
    S; Apple
    D; Big Ass T-bone (11 oz w/ bone), some roasted brocolini and salad. Gnawed on the bone going for he marrow. Was so satisfying....
    E; 10 minute power walk. Starting to snow here and I love

Thinking about cutting out the valium I have been taking to help me get to sleep. I spent over 7 years doing monthly international travel (Asia and Europe) and it totally effed up my circadian rhythm. I thought for good, but now in week 3, I am going to sleep faster, almost too fast. May try it out see what happens or just take a Melatonin. That would be great if I could get off more pills.
    Last edited by Meegeek; 01-17-2012 at 09:47 AM.

For some reason, did not get around to posting anything about yesterday, although I did post. Have to figure out the best time of day, maybe when I get home from work versus the random posting I am doing now. I actually kind of like the random approach though.

Yesterday;
    E; 20 min elliptical w/ 5 10 sec sprints (really finding this change fun and improves the whole dynamic of the workout)
    B; PF
    L; PF
    S; Jerky, almonds, and a orange in the late afternoon.
    D; Left over chile verde w/ cabbage
    S; Some more almonds after dinner

My wife is concerned about having PF 2x a day and made me some eggs with "primal" Canadian bacon she ordered online. I really liked the PF for breakfast and lunch, with a bit a jerky or nuts to make things chewy and crunchy. But change is good too. Weight was down again this morning. Tenths of a pound, but back in the right direction. Just want to get into a steady loss pattern and avoid the plateaus. Using LoseIt to track nutrients, rather then calories (but my calorie intake is lower then the targets the software set for me). Started tracking a week before going on PB and have cut cholestreol in half (as a percent) and averaging now around 20% (85g). Protein is averaging in the 110 to 120g / day range. Fat is at 45%. Fat was actually lower the week before I started PB, initially climbed and now seems to be settling at the 45% to 50% range. Will be watching this closely as I was put on a scrip of Lovastatin at the beginning of December and will be going in next Monday for a panel to recheck levels. Should be interesting to see. My wife is getting hers checked also as she is still very worried about the amount of fat we eating. Her form of CW was very low fat and it became a regular part of our diet. Most of the fat we are now eating is coming from nuts, meat, coconut oil, or low amounts of olive oil. Still use some small amount of butter, but that and a bit of half & half used in some recipes is the only dairy I can think of.

Today;
    E; Tower200 - really getting into the squats involved these routines. For a little cheap unit that hangs on a door and uses bungee cords, it can really rip you a new one. Think I am going to move up the the 45lb resistance band next work out.
    B; Scrambled eggs & Canadian Bacon
    S; Jerky
    L; Primal Fuel
    S; Almonds and Jerky
    D; Osobucco - primal style, was unbelievably good
    Last edited by Meegeek; 01-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Wow, I know I posted yesterday but it is not showing. I sometimes leave the page open at work, then forget I was in the middle of a post and lose it. Oh well, yesterday was a bit of a bust anyway. My weight shot up over .5 pound and I was bummed out, even though I know the pitfalls of weighing in every day.

B; PF w/ berries.
    S; jerky
    L; First time out of the box. Went to a craptastic teriyaki place. They effed up my order and ended up getting chicken slathered in their teriyake sauce and vegetables (shredded cabbage steamed to within an inch of its life). I tried to scrap off as much sauce as possible, but choked down 1 1/2 small breasts. Tasted like poo. Could have been worse, I suppose. Really felt the sugar in the sauce even though probably only had a couple of tbls total. Stomach had a burning sensation, not the pleasant "hmmmm full" sensation I have been getting since on PB. Lesson learned.
    S: couple handfuls of amounds spread over the afternoon. Seemed to counteract the burn at least. Kind of worried I am eating too many nuts.
    D; another unbelievable dinner my daughter cooked up. Swedish (ground pork) meatballs made with almond flour and ghee, over mashed cauliflower, topped with a relish of diced beets, pomergranate seeds, and lemon zest. Big mixed field greens salad.

Started Gorilla Workout on the iphone yesterday, push ups, squats, lunges. Going to be my base work out with either elliptical, walking or Tower 200 thrown in. Pretty impressed.

Today;
    B; pf w/ berries
    S; jerky and 10 almonds
    L; pf with salad
    S; amonds
    D; tamari stir fried chicken breast over cabbage & a salad

Looking forward to the weekend. Will be stressing on the river level though. Lots of storms rolling through this week, lots of rain, some snow. Our house is on the Tualitin River and flooding is always a potential. Last big one was in '94 and it was nasty. Lucky for us there is a USGS river gauge just a mile downstream from us, so I can monitor via web pretty easy. Its high but still not as high as it got last year, so I think we are good. Projected to get maybe a foot higher by Sunday, still good but that is subject to change. Kind of a stress point I will have to watch, but sort of a primal stressor, not your everyday first world stressor.

Onward....(remember to post this time)
    Last edited by Meegeek; 01-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.
    "When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... you find someone to carry you."

Onward....my primal journal
    2012 Slow Movement Challenge: My distance so far = 665 kM

My Map My Tracks Profile

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast