Thread: 2 Carb Related Questions page

sunnie123 is offline Junior Member

2 Carb Related Questions

1. I feel like I have a bit of the "carb flu" lately, as I am not feeling full or satisfied with my VLC meals. I'm also feeling a little edgy.
    Should I:
    A.) Tough it out, the only way to break the addiction is to get the carbs/sugars out of my system.
    B.) Add back in a little more carbs to my diet, in the form of starchy vegetables.
    ?

2. I'm trying to lose about 10-15 lbs. I read Mark's blog about the carbohydrate curve, but I'm unclear on one thing. Will I lose faster/better in the sweet spot, or in Ketosis? My original plan was to stay VLC until I got closer to my goal weight, and then gradually add in more starchy vegetables and a little fruit.

Any thoughts, ideas, experiences would be appreciated.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, sounds like me when I started; I hit the wall, slept tons and got cranky about it. I actually found that cutting my carbs in 1/2 helped ease me into it. (Open faced tuna, 1 slice instead of 2, etc) I found that being gracious w/ myself, not too rabid about it, kept that sensation I had to feeling sated w/ carbs but let me not overdo it. Then, when the inevitable situation hit where I gorged, it was astonishing to see how sluggish and slow brained I felt eating the "old way"! Cured me of my attachment pretty quickly. Though my carb-flu lasted a good 8 or so days, even w/ this approach.

I went with some yams too, instead of pasta. But to each their own! You may be one of those that likes to just go cold-turkey. I found that too risky; feared I might backslide w/ such rabid restriction.

raftguide3r is offline Junior Member
    You might want to start with the sweet spot for a few weeks while your metabolism adjusts to burning primarily fat instead of glucose and then if you're not seeing the results you want dial the carbs down further.

tabby is offline Junior Member

Frustration with Carb Flu

I've been primal and doing intense 1 hour interval training for the last 2 months. Although I've lost 11 pounds of fat, I'm not feeling energized. I've been sleeping an extra hour and in the last week made the following adjustments:

-added "damage control supplement and fish oil 2x/day;
    -added dark chocolate/almonds/cashews as snacks;
    -added whey protein supplement within 20 minutes of each workout....

camel is offline Senior Member
    I like to tough it out, takes about 3 full days then you're over the "flu" feeling. But everyones different.

MrRoberts is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    I've been primal and doing intense 1 hour interval training for the last 2 months. Although I've lost 11 pounds of fat, I'm not feeling energized. I've been sleeping an extra hour and in the last week made the following adjustments:

-added "damage control supplement and fish oil 2x/day;
    -added dark chocolate/almonds/cashews as snacks;
    -added whey protein supplement within 20 minutes of each workout....
    You need to add sweet potatoes or yam after training since you are doing intense interval training for more than 30 to 45 minutes.

You are better off eating a solid piece of protein like chicken than drinking a protein shake.