Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Primal Journal of a Queen Fan! page

The Primal Journal of a Queen Fan!

Hi everyone!

Welcome to my little corner of our Primal world

I'm Jo, I'm still on the 'right' side of 30 (not for much longer!) and I'm from Lincolnshire in the UK. I'm a Queen fan - I love music in general, but Freddie and the boys are the Love Of My Life And I've been as Primal as possible for about a year, but decided to start a journal as a virtual kick up the rear! Here's why...

Not quite 3 years ago, I suffered a knee injury at work. When I was eventually seen by someone who knew what they were talking about it turned out that I've been damaging my knee cap over years. They said it was through my highly physical job, which no doubt didn't help matters, but the more and more I've read on MDA, the more I've come to realise it wasn't just a result of that but how I've been treating my body in general. The time it took to find that out saw me stuck at home piling weight on; when I finally got back into work, I was 3 stone overweight. The first stone almost literally fell off just through being back at work. Then everything stalled, those scales would not budge. The podgy blobs of "cushioning" just below my bottom at the tops of my legs were huge and looked worse than ever, and my belly was so bloated I looked pregnant

I tried everything and anything, but of course I was still under the thrall of Conventional Wisdom. I don't actually remember how I came across MDA, it may have been Google, it may have been Facebook, but anyway one evening 18 months ago I found myself reading about Primal living and it made sense. I read as much as I could, then bought the book and read that front to back. Then I dived in...

I'm enjoying it, but I've decided to do this journal to make me focus. I've got the food pretty much nailed, but I need to improve it. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am living at home with my parents, who are not to be converted from CW, so it's not easy. Mum is convinced I'm being unhealthy by reducing carbs, having no grains and having lots of lovely fat. I've tried explaining, but it falls on deaf ears. The further stone I've lost hasn't even made a difference. I know she's my mum and just wants me to be OK though, and to be fair, there are some of my eating habits that she's picked up on and is being more accomodating... hopefully that's progress.

Before Christmas 2011 I'd actually lost a stone and 2lbs, but the 2lbs went back on over the holidays. I was reasonably pleased with that - obviously I didn't really want a gain, but despite my best efforts I did eat a lot of rubbish! I'm back to being a good girl now though
    My other area of improvement is exercise. I love walking, I always have, but struggle to find time. I recently drew up a little rota to try and focus me a bit, to try and fit in a couple of good walks a week, and then make up the rest of my Move Frequently with cycling on the exercise bike in 20 mins morning sessions. I've got into the habit of LHT, and progressing nicely. I need to start to factor in sprints, which will be on the bike, due to my problems with my right hip, knee and foot.

I've reached the stage now though where I'm seeing real progress. Those podgy blobs at the tops of my legs are still there, but are much much smaller and only look ugly from certain angles. My belly no longer looks like I'm expecting. I've lost fat/water/inflammation from places I didn't expect, like my knees, my feet, my back - that means I've dropped a dress size (maybe 2, I've never liked fitted clothes), and my skin, hair and nails are amazing! My mood and energy levels aren't ideal, but are much improved. And, apologies to the guys (and gals?) that might find this too much info or gross, but even my period pain is less severe - something I never expected to change. Being barefoot (or as close to) all the time has made a big difference to my feet, knees and hips - I only wear 'normal' shoes on nights out now! (Some outfits would never look right without heels... but boy do I feel the difference!)

I'm aware now to not rely on the scales too much - I look and feel better, and once I break my can't-be-bothered-with-exercise habit I know I'll be building muscle (I already am actually, my biceps, bum and thighs are most noticable, but the pull-ups and squats have dug out muscles I didn't know I had!) So, onwards!

I'll start with logging what I do exercise-wise and what I eat, and how I feel each day, as time goes on I may progress to include other things such as sleep, play and so on. Going to keep it simple to start with

So, today:

Breakfast - a Nakd snack bar (for the benefit of anyone who hasn't come across these beauties, they are made from raw dates, almonds, pecans, and spices for flavouring - all natural, no nasties and cold pressed. Highly recommended as they taste divine, my favourites are Gingerbread and Cocoa Mint... anyway, I digress...) and water to drink

Lunch - homemade crustless quiche (bacon, broccoli, carrot, spinach and mushroom, to be precise) and cold chicken with a Primal-friendly lemon and mustard dressing, water to drink

Evening meal - fish pie and broccoli, watered pineapple juice to drink, and chocolate cake for dessert (this is one of those 'mum made it so I have to eat some' - I did have cream with it though)

Evening snack - a couple of chocolates left over from the holidays and a decaf coffee with whole goat's milk

Activity: 20 mins cycle and 10 mins joint mobility exercises

How I'm feeling: Not bad, considering I am mentally and emotionally somewhat preoccupied (a close friend is going through some stuff) - I am beginning to notice how I handle stressors like that better. Bearing in mind it's around midnight I am a touch tired, but I had good energy all day. Suffering a little bit of backache from trying out some of the joint mobility exercises - that's new and I think some muscles are going "what did you do that for?!" at me, but it's good ache, not bad ache.

And on that note I will bring today's entry to a close!
    Jojo. x

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Good luck with your primal journey, Jojo. Welcome! Hoping you will rock us!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Hi Sigi,

Thanks for your welcome Hahaha, I'm certainly going to try!
    Jojo. x

OK, so true to my intention to really keep on top of this, here are a few extra bits of info:

I'm 5'7", my heaviest weight ever was around 185lbs, and as of this morning, I'm down to 152lbs (that extra 2lbs gained over Christmas has gone )

I was just choosing a before and a now photo to submit to Mark for my Success Story In The Making, and I was surprised at the difference, especially to my legs and belly. But there's more to be done!
    Jojo. x

Here I am with today's stats...

Breakfast - water after cycling, then about half an hour later, a Nakd bar and a decaf coffee with whole goat's milk

Lunch - fish and chips from the takeaway (my weekly treat, but something I'll be looking to cut down on and/or substitute eventually), tea with whole goat's milk and a little sugar to drink

Water after walking

Afternoon snack - about half a cup of mixed dried fruits (containing pineapple, blueberries, goji berries, cherries and strawberries) and about half of cup of mixed nuts and seeds (containing sesame seeds, linseeds, walnuts, almonds, macademias, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds) with a good drizzle of cream, liquorice and peppermint tea with cream to drink

Planned evening meal - homemade crustless quiche and either homemade chicken and vegetable soup or ham, haven't decided yet!

Activity: this morning - 10 mins joint mobility exercises, 20 mins cycle; this afternoon - 1 hour walk in the wind and sunshine

How I'm feeling: Pretty good Energy levels have been good today and I've had no problems getting that exercise done; I think having the rota to tick off is helping, as it's reminding me to go do it, and encouraging to tick them off a bit like a to do list Beginning to feel a little stiff across the shoulders as I'm sitting here typing (really must get round to a standing workstation!) but the backache from yesterday has otherwise vanished. Will make the effort to be in bed at a sensible time tonight though
    Jojo. x

ELCO14 is offline Senior Member
    What oils do they use to fry your fish n chips in the UK?

Keep the updates comin Queen!
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by ELCO14 View Post
    What oils do they use to fry your fish n chips in the UK?

Keep the updates comin Queen!
    Hi Elco,

As far as I know, vegetable oil. I know it's something I shouldn't be eating, hence my comment that I want to get round to either cutting it out, or substituting for a homemade Primal-friendly version. Sounds easy, but it's a big step as the fish and chips once a week habit is a big tradition in my house. It'll happen though, one day...
    Jojo. x

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueen1982 View Post
    Here I am with today's stats...

Breakfast - water after cycling, then about half an hour later, a Nakd bar and a decaf coffee with whole goat's milk

Lunch - fish and chips from the takeaway (my weekly treat, but something I'll be looking to cut down on and/or substitute eventually), tea with whole goat's milk and a little sugar to drink

Water after walking

Afternoon snack - about half a cup of mixed dried fruits (containing pineapple, blueberries, goji berries, cherries and strawberries) and about half of cup of mixed nuts and seeds (containing sesame seeds, linseeds, walnuts, almonds, macademias, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds) with a good drizzle of cream, liquorice and peppermint tea with cream to drink

Planned evening meal - homemade crustless quiche and either homemade chicken and vegetable soup or ham, haven't decided yet!

Activity: this morning - 10 mins joint mobility exercises, 20 mins cycle; this afternoon - 1 hour walk in the wind and sunshine

How I'm feeling: Pretty good Energy levels have been good today and I've had no problems getting that exercise done; I think having the rota to tick off is helping, as it's reminding me to go do it, and encouraging to tick them off a bit like a to do list Beginning to feel a little stiff across the shoulders as I'm sitting here typing (really must get round to a standing workstation!) but the backache from yesterday has otherwise vanished. Will make the effort to be in bed at a sensible time tonight though
    Just updating...

My evening meal ended up being the quiche and ham, with some green leaves, grated carrot and a beetroot, with the lemon and mustard dressing. Tea to drink again.

Just had some decaf coffee, not sure whether to have a couple of chocolates from the box left from Christmas...
    Jojo. x

Hey folks! Here's today's update...

Breakfast - decaf coffee with whole goat's milk, before I left for work I had some water too

Lunch - Salad comprising of mixed green leaves, mushroom, beetroot and a tin of mackerel fillets in olive oil, with some lemon and mustard dressing, and water to drink

Evening meal - homemade cottage pie, broccoli and carrots, watered pineapple juice to drink, strawberry jelly and cream for dessert

Just about to make myself another decaf coffee

Activity: 10 mins joint mobility exercises

How I'm feeling: This morning I was shattered. My exercise rota informed me that I should do a 20 mins cycle and a sprint session. It did not happen. I think my lethargy was down to a few factors - the previous night I went to bed late, and it always catches up with me the day after next; the fish and chips for lunch was very non-Primal and I think took its toll; as a result I didn't sleep very well and then when it was time to get up, I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed. Luckily I was on a late shift at work, so it wasn't a huge issue, and I could work up to getting up gradually, but exercise was out of the question! I've moved the sprint session over to tomorrow in the hope that my energy levels will be better.
    As for the rest of the day, once I was up and going I had good energy, I am beginning to flag now though, aiming for my usual bedtime of between 1030pm-11pm
    Jojo. x

SweetPickles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I really like reading your journal! It really sounds like you are doing well and taking charge of your primal life! I look forward to more.

And, I heart Queen. I'm pretty excited to see the upcoming movie with Sasha Baron Cohen as Freddy Mercury, if it ever comes out.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast