Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too little food? page

black.rabbit is offline Junior Member

Too little food?

Primal Fuel
    I am a touch concerned about my food intake. I am worried I am not eating enough. Now I am listening to my body and I only eat when I get hunger pangs, but I only get them now once a day and my calorie intake depending on what I put in my face is from 500 to 800 calories. Now I am told that is way too low and my body is going to slip into starvation mode, but I feel great, and trying to eat when I am not hungry makes me feel bloated and mildly ill to my stomach.

Today I ate

4:30 p.m. A baked fillet of salmon, wrapped in bacon, with a side of butter baked mushrooms

I am still stuffed... not full, stuffed and if today is a repeat of the days this week I will not get hunger pangs until around 4:30 p.m.

Should I be worried?

Ande is offline Senior Member
    That sounds like a good meal, in fact, it is making me hungry right now. However, no, that is not enough. Don't wait till you have hunger pains if it is going to take you all the way until 4:30p. I could wait that long to eat also but there are certain things that we need in order to be healthy and one of those is protein. If you deplete your body of protein, you will loose muscle mass. That is just one thing. You also need more vitamins and minerals than that one meal is going to provide you.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been primal?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Starvation mode is only for when your body is running on sugars, which burn quick. When you are running on fats, your body goes for much longer. Sounds fine to eat one meal a day (I eat 1-2 a day these days, but my calories seem to be higher than that (i don't check often though)

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    I don't see a problem with low food intake at all. Studies show low cal high nutrition extends life span. So only eat if you are hungry and don't worry about the figures.

black.rabbit is offline Junior Member
    I have been primal for a week and a half now Apex and it’s like I lost my appetite. Even my NES (Night-eating syndrome) is gone and that is something I have tried fixing through will power and melatonin for a little over 12 years. I feel wonderful. My energy is top notch, I am able to go to the gym and give it my all and I no longer need to take a nap after working out.
    My headaches are gone (though mild, they were a daily appearance) my skin is clearing up… and I have lost a little weight and I can see it in my belly (two pack is showing through!)
    Hence my dilemma, it’s been so ingrained in me to eat no less than 1,000 calories a day but, well… this new turn about in my diet has me on cloud nine. Confused! *laughs*

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black.rabbit View Post
    I have been primal for a week and a half now Apex and it’s like I lost my appetite. Even my NES (Night-eating syndrome) is gone and that is something I have tried fixing through will power and melatonin for a little over 12 years. I feel wonderful. My energy is top notch, I am able to go to the gym and give it my all and I no longer need to take a nap after working out.
    My headaches are gone (though mild, they were a daily appearance) my skin is clearing up… and I have lost a little weight and I can see it in my belly (two pack is showing through!)
    Hence my dilemma, it’s been so ingrained in me to eat no less than 1,000 calories a day but, well… this new turn about in my diet has me on cloud nine. Confused! *laughs*
    Ah. The hunger will likely come sooner or later.

Ande is offline Senior Member
    I'm really glad you feel good, that's awesome. So many people have the opposite happen when the first start out being primal. There is nothing wrong with low food intake but over time, if you are not getting enough protein and certain nutrients you will be negatively effected.
    I agree, you will probably feel hungry as time goes on.

TKBSJ is offline Member
    Thanks for submitting this query, I've been thinking about this for the past week or so...

My calorie intake is higher than yours but way lower than what is considered best for weight loss. I was concerned not eating enough might be hampering my efforts. I figure that my carbs are in the sweet spot for weightloss and my fat & protein %'s are good ratios of total intake, as long as I'm not hungry I'll be fine and the results should come when my body is ready...whether that's rapid or slow.

I've only been primal for a few months so I'm still experimenting with what's best for my body and trying not to listen to all of the conflicting studies and guidelines

I'd say listen to your body and how you feel

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Ah. The hunger will likely come sooner or later.
    +1

sounds like you're doing great, good job on waiting till you're hungry. the hunger will come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast