Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish Oil - Krill versus Salmon page 2

Salmon feeder is offline Junior Member
    Whales eat krill. Whales are destroying the environment!!!

ExSpudSuckinMc is offline Junior Member
    Anyone have inflammation problems go away after taking fish oil? I'm trying to determine if taking supplements will help with my re-occurring tendonitis and plantar fasciitis (and therefore worth the cost).

Salmon feeder is offline Junior Member
    Definitely a good idea to supplement with fish oil. I had plantar fasciitis for awhile. Cut out the carbs and wheat, watch your omega 6- omega 3 ratio hopefully it will sort it self out

Luis is offline Junior Member
    I tried 3 different types of fish oil : Salmon Oil, Krill Oil and Cod liver oil and personally I feel salmon oil is a safe alternative to some other fish oils.

God
    God is offline Banned
    DO. NOT. SUPPLEMENT. FISH OIL. THAT. IS. INSANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want to minimize the PUFA you eat, not go out of your way to DRINK CONCENTRATED PUFA OIL, WTF.

If you avoid seed oils, which is where a huge amount of omega 6 comes from in the diet, you don't even need much omega 3. All the studies done on omega 3 are done on people who eat SHIATLOADS of omega 6, so of course it's going to be beneficial for them.

Ok, let's say you are punching yourself in the face repeatedly, and this is causing you pain, so your idea is to take painkillers to solve this. JUST STOP PUNCHING YOURSELF IN THE FACE!

By all means eat fatty fish if you enjoy them, I personally love salmon too much to avoid it for the sake of PUFA. But never drink concentrated fish oil. Most of that fish oil is rancid anyway, unless you only buy the highest quality stuff.

ngreen is offline Junior Member
    Well, to agree with God I was going to say what's wrong with just eating wild salmon once or twice a week?

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    I would avoid PUFA in general. Eating whole fish is probably better than taking fish oil pills, but grass-fed beef is even better than that.

God
    God is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    I would avoid PUFA in general. Eating whole fish is probably better than taking fish oil pills, but grass-fed beef is even better than that.
    I'm curious Elliot... you seem to know about PUFA. Just how bad is fatty fish really? I mean, is even raw salmon or salmon cooked at low temps bad? I like salmon, it's one of my favorite foods, I make it into sushi. It would make me sad to have to ditch it for the sake of PUFA.

I was under the impression PUFA is only really bad when it's been super-heated or taken in excess such as in concentrated fish oils.

Surely if I'm not getting lots of PUFA from other sources I should be able to indulge in salmon... but how much is too much, do you think, and what would be the main negatives of having too much salmon? Bad for thyroid?

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    I'm curious Elliot... you seem to know about PUFA. Just how bad is fatty fish really? I mean, is even raw salmon or salmon cooked at low temps bad? I like salmon, it's one of my favorite foods, I make it into sushi. It would make me sad to have to ditch it for the sake of PUFA.

I was under the impression PUFA is only really bad when it's been super-heated or taken in excess such as in concentrated fish oils.

Surely if I'm not getting lots of PUFA from other sources I should be able to indulge in salmon... but how much is too much, do you think, and what would be the main negatives of having too much salmon? Bad for thyroid?
    I don't think cooking is the problem. I know of one study where they fed rats either fresh or oxidized PUFA and found that both had about the same effect. The oxidized PUFA was harder to absorb. The bigger concern is eating PUFA first, then having it oxidize inside you. Then you can't escape it.

You can find a video on Youtube that is a news report about a house fire that was initiated by a rag soaked in linseed oil. Linseed oil is flaxseed oil. It contains ALA, which is a precursor to EPA and DHA in fish oil. So fish oil is even more unstable than linseed/flaxseed oil. In the story, someone had left a rag soaked in linseed oil in a box with some other rags. It oxidized and produced enough heat to spontaneously combust. No match or lighter needed. The news company tested this by leaving a rag soaked with linseed oil in a pile with other rags and filming it. Eventually, the rag combusted.

This demonstrates how unstable linseed oil is. All it needs to oxidize is oxygen and warmth, both of which exist in your body. So it will oxidize within you.

All PUFA break down into various toxins like acrolein and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. They also suppress thyroid function. I would consider any amount of PUFA to be too much, though obviously at some level the effect is unobservable.

Omega-3 fatty acids were once fed to animals in large quantities in an attempt to find a good, cheap feed for them. This caused a disease called "yellow fat syndrome."

God
    God is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What in the name of Christ!?

PUFA oil can spontaneously combust? Are you messing with me?

What about all the people, and other animals for that matter, that eat a high fish diet? Are bears killing themselves eating salmon? Are fish killing themselves eating other fish? Are the Japs killing themselves with their sashimi and sushi? It... it just doesn't seem right, for a food like that to be so toxic... when it tastes so good and wholesome! Like, why would nature create such an abomination - a food that is poisonous in any amount?! I mean, obviously there are specific animals that are poisonous to eat but an ENTIRE MACRONUTRIENT?

If what you say is true, I can not in good conscience eat salmon.

I would like to know where you get your information from so I can look more into this...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast